Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

bring consumers the most value through a holistic marketing approach

Oh no, holistic marketing ????????????

Yikes, this from a Houston company? Maybe the ad agency is in LA.

John

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Reading between the lines, it seems like a group III/group V blend.

I was thinking the exact same thing before I got to your post.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Oh no, holistic marketing ????????????

Rumor has it they're also hiring Feng Shui Consultants to set up the displays in Auto Parts stores.
grin.gif

[ January 23, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

That Platinum review was deceiving. It kept making comparisons to conventional & synthetic blends, but never grouped it with synthetics. That's a Snow Job Review designed to mislead.

You can call it a snow job review if you want, but that's what Mobil, Valvoline, and Castrol does also. They never compare to other synthetics.

Now, here is what I know about this oil at this time. I have not seen any spec sheet, but they should be out next month. The base stock is a mixture of Group III+, PAO, and something called gas to liquid, whatever that is. It also has a completely new additive package. From what I've been told it will come in the following VIS. 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 5W50, European 5W40 and 5W30.

That's all I know for now.

I looked at the Kragen Auto Parts ad today and saw an ad for this oil($3.99/quart). I have never heard of it. Does anyone have any information about it. Is it a new Pennzoil formulation?

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
[QBThe base stock is a mixture of Group III+, PAO, and something called gas to liquid, whatever that is.[/QB]

Gas to Liquid (GTL) is Shell's newest way of making XHVI base oil. The waxy raffinate byproduct of the GTL process at their Malaysia refinery is used as the feedstock for the isomerization unit in Japan that produces the XHVI base oil.

NEW MOTOR OIL IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN … PLATINUM

Introducing New Pennzoil Platinum™ Full Synthetic Motor Oils

HOUSTON, TX, November 11, 2004 – Today, at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas, Pennzoil®, America’s top-selling motor oil, introduced the most advanced product the brand has ever produced – Pennzoil Platinum™. This new full synthetic motor oil combines a highly-refined base oil with a proprietary additive package to create a ground-breaking formulation to keep engines running at their full potential.

Formulated by the Pennzoil Global R&D Center, Pennzoil Platinum™ is produced from a unique combination of synthetic components. The base oil is of such exceptional quality that it allows the high-tech additive package in Pennzoil Platinum™ to focus on neutralizing engine contaminants. Pennzoil Platinum™ provides superior protection (vs. conventional and synthetic blends) against sludge and harmful deposits producing a cleaner running engine.

The additive package in new Pennzoil Platinum™ is also designed to provide the ultimate in engine wear protection and helps keep it running stronger, longer. The product’s superior durability provides greater resistance to oil oxidation, lower oil consumption under high-speed conditions, great performance in a wide temperature-range and maintains viscosity in extreme conditions. Pennzoil Platinum™ also contains a seal conditioning agent to help keep your engine running in sound condition. Pennzoil Platinum™ optimizes engine performance, maximizes engine efficiency and provides for the best fuel economy.

In the ongoing pursuit of better fuel economy, the use of lighter viscosity multigrades has made base oil properties one of the most important factors in lubricant design,” said Bob Sutherland, Team Leader, Pennzoil Passenger Car Engine Lubricants. “Today the increased demand for volatility and low temperature properties requires the full integration of quality base oils and cutting-edge formulation technologies.”

The global formulation from Pennzoil Platinum™ meets or exceeds every major U.S., Japanese and European industry specification for gasoline powered engines, including the latest standards of the oil industry and vehicle manufacturers, ILSAC GF-4, API SM and ACEA. In a series of independently-conducted, industry-recognized tests, Pennzoil Platinum™ surpassed leading conventional and synthetic blend oils by offering superior high temperature protection, improved valve train protection, better low temperature performance and the best piston area deposit control.

Pennzoil is committed to providing innovative new products that meet the many needs of our consumers,” said Jeffrey Lack, Director of Marketing, Pennzoil. “Our customers wanted a product that would meet the requirements of today’s most modern vehicles and provide superior protection under the most severe driving conditions. Our goal, as the automotive lubricants market leader in the U.S., was to offer a product consumers would know is Pennzoil’s best formulation ever.”

The new Pennzoil Platinum™ will be fully supported by a comprehensive marketing campaign which includes extensive print and broadcast advertising, consumer and installer promotions, direct mail initiatives, install/retail POP and public relations. The brand will also be promoted through key motorsports sponsorships throughout the 2005 season and a grassroots consumer campaign that includes more than 50 local market events.

Pennzoil Platinum™ will be available at installer locations beginning February 2005, and at retail outlet locations starting March 2005. Working hard to bring consumers the most value through a holistic marketing approach, Pennzoil Platinum™ is available in a variety of viscosity grades at the suggested retail price of $4.59 per quart – each with a guarantee. (See program for details.)

whatever happen to the pennzoil synthetic with Pennzane ?
rolleyes.gif

If you read past the hype and the multi-syllable adjectives, I don't see the oil doing anything different or anything better than any other oil.

I thought gas-to-liquid was how PAO was made? In this case, they're bringing out a technical term to help advertise the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Johhny, what is Group III+ ?? I've never heard of that before...

Group III+ isn't an official API term. However, industry-wide, it's been adopted as a de facto reference for Group II base stocks of ~135 viscosity index and above.

Wonder why it was never used for Shell's XHVI wax isomerate, which has a VI of 140+?
dunno.gif

In spite of what is said,this is going to be a state of the work,, the oil is going to be great I have a feeling for box stores >>>BL

The more motor oil hype I read, the more I respect Chevron for mostly just putting out excellent motor oils at competitive prices.

John

PAOs are indeed derived from a thin liquid that in turn was derived from natural gas. But, the "new-fangled" GTL term is a way of making use of the natural gas at the wellhead that traditionally has been flared because it was too troublesome to bother with. Since there are neither sulfur nor measurable aromatic contaminents involved (crude petroleum hydroprocessed to Group III base stocks contain single digit percentages of each), the resultant GTL base stock, "super" isomerized from the intermediate waxy raffinate, is as pure a paraffinic as you can get and it should match, or very nearly so, PAO's viscosity index and related oxidation resistance. Since GTL derived base stocks never involve crude petroleum at any point in their production, arguably they fit the definition of a synthetic.

More on the Pannzane molecule:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000392#000005

Some are calling the GTL fluid a Group III+ fluid. While it does not meet the strict definition of a synthetic, it has to be the closest thing to a PAO fluid there is.

In my view, when Pennzoil made the Performax with the inclusion of the cyclopentadiene (Pennzane), they had one of the best synthetics on the market.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Johhny, what is Group III+ ?? I've never heard of that before...

Group III+ isn't an official API term. However, industry-wide, it's been adopted as a de facto reference for Group II base stocks of ~135 viscosity index and above.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Some are calling the GTL fluid a Group III+ fluid. While it does not meet the strict definition of a synthetic, it has to be the closest thing to a PAO fluid there is.

Hmmm... We start with the simplest organic molecule in the universe and additively build 'em into custom length, uncontaminated, long chain molecules. And that's NOT synthesis? What am I missing, here?
smile.gif

quote:

VIS. 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 5W50, European 5W40 and 5W30.

I'm glad they are making a 0w-30 and 5w-40. The current Pennzoil additive packages are very good IMO. I'll be interested in the 0w-30 and 5w-40. 30wts might even be A3 approved for those that want that. Wait until the Daytona 500 starts, you'll be seeing a lot of heavy advertising from Pennzoil and Mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back