Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

We start with the simplest organic molecule in the universe and additively build 'em into custom length, uncontaminated, long chain molecules. And that's NOT synthesis?

Fraid not! I have closely studied the process differences between the GTL, Isomerization, PAO, and esters, and GTL and ISO do not meet the definition of a synthetic.

Can you explain why the Fischer-Tropsch GTL process is not synthesis?

quote:

quote:

If you look at the datasheet, the "American" viscosities are GF-4/SM

Not to be semantically nitpicky, but didn't you mean Specifications?

MolaKule, what I meant was that the Pennzoil Platinum oil sold in the viscosities most recommended for American cars (5W-30, etc.) are GF-4/SM rated with a ACEA rating of only A1, while the viscosities most recommended for European cars (5W-40, etc.) are rated ACEA A3 but don't meet the GF-4 requirements. So, Pennzoil Platinum is not a "one oil meets all ratings" oil as some have speculated that it would be because of the advertisements for it.

I noticed on Pennzoil's web site that the Platinum 5W20 does NOT have a check mark next to the Ford 930-A spec, but the 5W30 does meet Ford's 929-A spec. Gotta be a typo for the 5W20.
confused.gif

If the 5W-30 Ultra is Helix. Does it meet GM-LL-A-025 specs? I know the Helix 0W-30 does. I found a old Opel spec sheet. I don't know how old it was. I would think Opel updated the sheet, but I can't find it.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

quote:

We start with the simplest organic molecule in the universe and additively build 'em into custom length, uncontaminated, long chain molecules. And that's NOT synthesis?

Fraid not! I have closely studied the process differences between the GTL, Isomerization, PAO, and esters, and GTL and ISO do not meet the definition of a synthetic.

Can you explain why the Fischer-Tropsch GTL process is not synthesis?

I'm still waiting for an answer.
smile.gif

The new Platinum European formula oils are no longer the same as Shell Helix Ultra. The 5W30 formula does meet the GM LL spec. It also meets MB 229.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back