Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used valvoline synthetic last year over the winter..VERY comparable to mobil 1, easy start up, and engine runs like hot knife through butter..very smooth running oil. Seems to hold up VERY well through harh winter temperatures, and keeping the engine clean of deposits.
Ive never run PP before, but have wanted too. After using Valvoline synthetic, personally, ide use it EVERY winter at least

If the price is the same then I would pick PP. My '00 E430 loves PP 5W20, it ran much better than M1 0W40 which is recommended by MB.

Walmart in So Cal has PP in quart bottle for $4.01 compares with $5.xx for Valvoline Synpower. If I don't have a good stash of oils, and need to buy oil now I would buy PP without hesistance.

Both have the GM 4718M Performance Specification, (Corvette/Cadillac approved), While Valvoline only recently got this Spec in 2009. PP I'm pretty sure has the Honda Spec HTO-O6 while Valvoline does not as of yet. Not many others are HTO-O6 approved, I know Mobil 1 is... not sure of others.

So, between the two, if same price, I would lean towards the PP just for that fact.

Actually, I've been leaning heavily on the Q Horsepower Synthetic at Walmart for $18/5quart jug! Stocked up on 4... and counting!

I use both. I like both. Recently the Synpower became available in 5W-20 in 5 quart jugs at Walmart for $21.70, while the others are $22.50, and Pennzoil Platinum is $23. Quarts are $5.97 for either.

The Synpower 5W-30 stayed very thin this winter in my moms car, even dripping off the dipstick like water when it was -20F outside.

Pennzoil Platinum makes my engine spin over faster when I start it than anything I've previously used, and the oil pressure starts high and stays high.

My vehicles have had a pretty steady diet of PP for the last 2 years, but Synpower looks pretty good. I don't think you could go wrong either way. Flip a coin...

wow!!! im surprised its around 50/50, slight lead to Valvoline. from my short time here, i thought PP got all of the love.

Valvoline, cool looking bottle
LOL.gif

Valvoline has stepped up the plate. GM 4718M and impressive Seq IVA results. They deserve it IMO.

I have Valvoline SynPower in my 2005 Silverado right now & I'm planning to go back to Pennzoil Platinum on my next oil change. My truck seemed to run "smoother", at least it did to me, on PP 5W-30 than on the Valvoline SynPower 5W-30. My vote would be for the Pennzoil Platinum.

Valvoline, but both are great oils! I have been running Valvoline SynPower 5w30 (winter) and 10w30 (summer) since I purchased my vehicle new in 2001. However, I do have 20 gallons of Chevron Supreme 5/10w30 in my oil stash that I will eventually use; at $7.50 gal I couldn't pass it up.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Amsoil shows Valvo a little better than PP in 10w30.

What, you mean Amsoil's glorified PDS?

I am using pp 5w30 in my altima. Considering edge, synpower, and gt1 full syn all in 5w30. Gt1 i think it will be. Price ius lower and if quality is lower it can't be by much. Edge $ is too high, especially since i won't go over 5 grand OCI.

Valvoline SynPower - New &/or Well Maintained Engines!
Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife - Old & High Milage Engines!
Pennzoil Platinum

Yes Edge 5W-30 is good or even better than above oils but probably more EXPENSIVE than above oils!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Yes Edge 5W-30 is good even better than above oils but probably more EXPENSIVE than above oils!

Is there any evidence that suggests this?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Yes Edge 5W-30 is good even better than above oils but probably more EXPENSIVE than above oils!

Is there any evidence that suggests this?

Feel free to prove me wrong...after comparing the TDS and looking at the virgin oil analysis posted in the forums for Edge 5W-30...it led me to believe that it may be slightly better than Valvoline SuperSyn...Edge is not sold in Canada...so I haven't tried it my self!

My best friend owns a Mechanic shop and he has confirmed that no oil gives u maximum BANG for ur BUCK as much as

Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic
Valvoline SuperSyn does!
GC for EuroCars!

above two oils when you buy a case from the distributor/mfg it works to be cheaper than other dino oil/per case sometimes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back