Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Yes Edge 5W-30 is good even better than above oils but probably more EXPENSIVE than above oils!

Is there any evidence that suggests this?

Feel free to prove me wrong...after comparing the TDS and looking at the virgin oil analysis posted in the forums for Edge 5W-30...

Other than the high TBN and the usually low viscosity (for a 30wt), the VOA looked very mediocre to me.
21.gif

And I've never seen a PDS that provided less information than the Castrol Edge PDS.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...astrol_EDGE.pdf

Compare that to this:
http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

Castrol Edge is depending heavily on that "dipstick" marketing blitz and the "8x better than M1" labels, for sure.

Last edited:
My belief is PP is Shell's VHVI base with a custom add pack. SynPower (except the 20W50 PAO) I believe to be Korean S-Oil base with off the shelf add pack. I don't know where my beliefs come from except from extensive study.

Since I believe the VHVI is the best GrpIII base available I'll take the PP at the same price.

I use both though depending on discounted pricing. If I was pushing for a 8-10K OCI I would lean toward PP except in a SynPower 20W50 application (yea, I have one but the stuff leaks too much).

For those saying that this or that oil is primarily VHVI base, it looks like a VHVI base from shell would have to be cut significantly with a lighter oil base, see the following table 1 in the Shell document Shell MSDS

I am assuming that viscosities listed are 100C measured. Lightest viscosity is 19 mm2/s (1mm2/s = 1cSt). (Corresponding to a 50 weight).

Last edited:
Now for a refutation of my own post:
"[0021] According to R. A. Phillipps ["Highly Refined Mineral Oils", Ronald A. Phillipps, Chapter 17, in "Synthetic Lubricants and High-Performance Functional Fluids, 2nd Edition, L. R. Rudnick and R. L. Shubkin (ed.), Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, N.Y., 1999.], base oils that are produced via hydrocracking and/or hydroisomerization processes are broadly referred to as VHVI (i.e., very high viscosity index) base oils. Common examples of VHVI base stocks have kinematic viscosity at 100.degree. C. of about 4 mm.sup.2/s and about 6 mm.sup.2/s, with viscosity index in the range of 128-146. R. A. Phillipps cites Shell XHVI and Exxon Exxsyn as examples of VHVI base stocks and states: "It will be noted that Shell XHVI and Exxon Exxsyn are both virtually 100% saturates with no measurable aromatics." Further, R. A. Phillipps states "As a point of interest, VHVI base oils can be manufactured by the synthesis of natural gas to wax, using the Fischer-Tropsch process. The wax can then be processed by hydroisomerization or catalytic isomerization of the wax to produce VHVI base oils. Evaluation of these VHVI base oils shows that they exhibit excellent oxidation stability as well as the very high VI shown by the laboratory tests. Performance is comparable to that obtained by poly (.alpha.-olefins), which might be expected because of their broadly similar chemical structure, but at reduced costs of production." emphasis added

link

Dec. 15, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back