Pennzoil platinum mpg boost

This fuel saving device is sold on Amazon for $4.99, improves HP, battery life, and emissions.
Fuel saver.jpg

Put in Pennzoil platinum 300 miles ago and I'm getting 3-5 mpg better than the previous oil I used (k&n) excited to try ultra platinum next I'm very pleased with the product. 2020 Impreza 5mt 100% short city driving from 22mpg to 25-27mpg.
As others have speculated, I also suspect that there is some other factor at play here.

There is no evidence that a change in engine oil can account for a 14-23% increase in fuel economy. Maybe 1-2% at most.

Huh?????
Your last sentence in Bold above needs a more thorough response. How did you arrive on your Pennzoil Platinum Slam?
Repeated testing, both virgin and used oil analysis, showed that PP does not meet API specs. Its anti-wear additives are below API minimums. The testing also showed that viscosity is at the very bottom of the range (9.8Cst for 5W-30) and with use it keeps dropping deep into x20 territory.

This was discussed so many times here I thought it was common knowledge.

Repeated testing, both virgin and used oil analysis, showed that PP does not meet API specs. Its anti-wear additives are below API minimums. The testing also showed that viscosity is at the very bottom of the range (9.8Cst for 5W-30) and with use it keeps dropping deep into x20 territory.

You'd think their competitors would create quite a stink if this were true, just like they have done in the past for other brands. How did they get it past the API?

What testings?..... name 1-2 specific testing(s)?
Keeps dropping deep into x20 territory?...... by itself and absent of dilution?
Lastly, your not crediting GTL Base for picking up the slack on why Penzoil Platinum UOA additive numbers (Mobil-1 also) are on declines?

Perhaps hang a new calculative chalk board in your basement - grab a clean eraser and start all over.

What testings?..... name 1-2 specific testing(s)?
Keeps dropping deep into x20 territory?...... by itself and absent of dilution?
Lastly, your not crediting GTL Base for picking up the slack on why Penzoil Platinum UOA additive numbers (Mobil-1 also) are on declines?

Perhaps hang a new calculative chalk board in your basement - grab a clean eraser and start all over.
Sounds like you're just trolling here. If you really were interested you could easily find the Oil Analysis and long discussion about PP having anti-wear additives below API minimums, plus the tendency of the oil to thin below grade.

What testing?
PP 5W-30 VOA (Blackstone) - Phosphorus 541 ppm: fail
PP HM 5W-30 VOA (Blackstone) - Phosphorus 540 ppm: fail, CSt 8.9: fail
PP 5W-30 UOA - CSt 9.01: fail, Phosphorus 553 ppm: fail
PP 5W-30 UOA - CSt 7.96: fail, Phosphorus 578 ppm: fail
PP 5W-30 UOA - CSt 9.12: fail, Phosphorus 506 ppm: fail
PP 5W-30 UOA - CSt: 8.72 fail, Phosphorus 543 ppm: fail
PP 5W-30 UOA - CSt 8.58: fail, Phosphorus 571 ppm: fail
etc, etc, so many more. No fuel dilution in any of these tests. A clear pattern here. PP can't maintain viscosity and drops below grade, deep into x20 territory, like I said.

For reference, API SN/SP specify Zn/P anti-wear additives to be @ 600-800 ppm, and viscosity @ 9.3-12.5 CSt @ 100C. PP clearly fails to meet API minimums. I have not seen any other brand name synthetic (GTL or not) repeatedly test this bad. Even other Pennzoil products, like PUP, meet or exceed API req's.

The data speaks for itself. Ignore it at your own peril.

Sounds like you're just trolling here. If you really were interested you could easily find the Oil Analysis and long discussion about PP having anti-wear additives below API minimums, plus the tendency of the oil to thin below grade.

What testing?
etc, etc, so many more. No fuel dilution in any of these tests. A clear pattern here. PP can't maintain viscosity and drops below grade, deep into x20 territory, like I said.

For reference, API SN/SP specify Zn/P anti-wear additives to be @ 600-800 ppm, and viscosity @ 9.3-12.5 CSt @ 100C. PP clearly fails to meet API minimums. I have not seen any other brand name synthetic (GTL or not) repeatedly test this bad. Even other Pennzoil products, like PUP, meet or exceed API req's.

Which one of these resulted in engine failure? I do see they failed the ProbeGT test. I also see the VOAs start above 600.

What testing?

Can you show the official specs for the PP 5W-30 oil rather than just adding "fail" to each VOA and UOA data posted above. I perceive the "fail" conclusions above appears above to be your interpretation of the results.

What testing?

Oh, Blackstone. I should have known. :rolleyes:

No real, true fuel dilution results in those UOA Blackstone tests. Even metals results can't be trusted from that place.

That's the worst UOA company shown-us here at BITOG. They are constantly being called out for wrongful readings.... especially fuel dilution, Flashpoint and assorted metal number readings.

Do you have any VOA failures?

Last edited:
I switched to 5w-30 from 5w-20 in my wife's car and it's hitting 40mpg again. The only time it did that was when it was new and had stupid looking 16 inch wheels with crappy fuel economy tires on it. Haven't seen 40mpg since before the 17 inch stock retro wheels and yoko touring tires when on about 40,000 miles ago. It shouldn't have gone up. No explanation.

Back