2015 Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 5,072 miles

Biggest change on this OCI was that I changed jobs in early-to-mid May, and my commute got slightly longer, with more stop-and-go traffic, as well as the fact that my folks have been borrowing my car as needed (they're between cars at the moment), so the mileage accrued faster. Still using a Fram Ultra Guard oil filter.

Attachments

• blackstonereport_5.jpg
    blackstonereport_5.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 389
Looks fine to me. I've got a 2016 fusion with the 2.0 I've been running 5w30 supertech synthetic the last couple of years around the same interval as yours. My oil usually gives off a gas smell, but I guess that's common. Good power from that 2.0 EcoBoost.

Fe around 2ppm/1k miles ain't bad at all. The other metals are so low they're nothing but noise.
I'd say you can stretch the OCI some; cautiously - perhaps 2k or 3k miles.

Side question - any issues with the 2.0L EB? With 100k miles, any thought of decarbonizing the intake valves? Or have you done that already? Is yours an engine made in Spain or Cleveland?

*A little over 5,000 mile OCI and the TBN was down to 1.9 which concurs with what most say about mixed suburban driving with non - extended synthetic oils that 5,000 mile OCI is about right .

Fe around 2ppm/1k miles ain't bad at all. The other metals are so low they're nothing but noise.
I'd say you can stretch the OCI some; cautiously - perhaps 2k or 3k miles.

Side question - any issues with the 2.0L EB? With 100k miles, any thought of decarbonizing the intake valves? Or have you done that already? Is yours an engine made in Spain or Cleveland?
Mine was built in Valencia; says 'VEP' on the sticker on the timing cover; I don't think they started putting Cleveland-built 2.0Ls into cars until MY 2017 or so, by which point they had switched to the 2nd gen. A couple other people have told me I could stretch the OCI, but I'm content to leave things as-is, why fix what ain't broke?

As for decarbonizing the intake valves, I really should, especially since a good friend of mine has an F30 328i with the N20 engine and has the equipment to do it. I just keep forgetting about it.

I have not had any major issues with the engine itself in the 4+ years I've had the car; closest thing I've had to an engine issue was the purge valve going out in 2018, but that was covered under the Carmax service plan I bought with the car. I have noticed slight oil seepage off the timing cover, but it does not appear to be anything major.

Looks good to me. It's why I've used pennzoil platinum for several years now.

Man those Ford turbos thin the oil, dilution most likely. I'd try a good Euro 5w40 personally.

If mine was thinning oil out of spec, I’d bump up the viscosity with a bottle or two of 5w40. The oil would still be in the 5w30 range by the end of the run. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If mine was thinning oil out of spec, I’d bump up the viscosity with a bottle or two of 5w40. The oil would still be in the 5w30 range by the end of the run. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The thing that is rankling me more is the apparent loss of roughly 1/2 a quart over every OCI. That's hardly a lot, I know, but it's still annoying. I had been wondering if the fuel dilution was causing the loss via the oil just being burned off during normal engine operation (due to heat; the car does not have an oil cooler), which in turn was making me wonder if switching to Pennzoil's Ultra Platinum might not be a bad idea, as they advertise it as providing 'extreme protection'.

The wear metals look great, so it's hard to call out the viscosity drop. But I'm going to anyway; it would be hard for me personally speaking to stomach an ending viscosity below 8 on a 5w30.

Nevertheless, the engine didn't seem to mind.

Back