Pennzoil platinum in car for 2500 miles why clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Post falsehoods here, and usually it won't be long before you're called on it.

Just ask RON_AKA...

laugh.gif

To the OP,
FWIW, I just finished a run of PP 10w30 in my '00 GTI 1.8T. I ran it for 5300 miles. It was VERY DARK, almost black at the end of that run. I can't imagine why it has not darkened in your engine. :shrug: Maybe your engine was already very clean to begin with.

I have 2K on a Mobil 1 OC right now in a Vibe with 16K miles on it. I still have a hard time reading the dip stick. Am I concerned? NO!

Was the PP the old style batch with group V or the 2006 version with group 3? I've worked through my 2005 old style and have the new 2006 group 3 from the CSK sales ready to use. I've had some thoughts that the Shell or Pennzoil engineers may have included stays clear as one of their design specs but I suppose it could just be an unintended consequence of the additives they choose to use.

Gosh, if the oil on my dipstick is still looking clear after 2500 miles I would be happy -- not concerned. That’s an indication to me that the oil isn’t breaking down (oxidizing) and is performing very well.

While a darker discoloration isn’t always an indication that the oil is worn or past its life. I would think a lack of discoloration … is … a good indication that the oil is in very good condition.

Someone, Ray, maybe Union, 427 (or maybe ALL of em and more at different times) have mentioned that these 4-banger DOHC rollerized camshaft engines are simply NOT a stress to the oil on any level outside of a turbo application. Part of that is the engine, part of that is the oils are SO good under GF4/API SM that we're just not "using" the oil, again, with these eco-car four bangers. My GC is very clean at the 7300-mile mark, and I refuse to believe it's because of ineffective detergent. I cannot wait to see the UOA on it. It should give our Mr. Dyson a good laugh..

the jetta is a SOHC, and it's tracked every weekend, and has endured a road atlanta touring event ever 4 months or so. Last event, i was using the same oil in there right now, i tracked at road atlanta from morning till night, speeds of up to 140 mph, then tracked every friday at atlanta motor speed way, making 1/4 mile runs till closing time, and then used to and from school and work. I have autotech 270* cams along with some other mods that aren't related to the engine internals, and the oil is STILL clrear yellow. That worries me.

Quote:

the jetta is a SOHC, and it's tracked every weekend, and has endured a road atlanta touring event ever 4 months or so. Last event, i was using the same oil in there right now, i tracked at road atlanta from morning till night, speeds of up to 140 mph, then tracked every friday at atlanta motor speed way, making 1/4 mile runs till closing time, and then used to and from school and work. I have autotech 270* cams along with some other mods that aren't related to the engine internals, and the oil is STILL clrear yellow. That worries me.

Well, there's hard miles, and then there's the track.. Ya left a LITTLE out at the beginning. Even with a SOHC, on the street SM oils would be fine I'd bet. You have to admit, a typical Jetta doesn't see much time at Road Atlanta. With all THAT going on, you're probably justified running an HDEO, Rotella, DelVac, something along those lines.

Kief, have you had this car on the track every weekend since it was new? Had to re-build the bottom end? That's a pretty stout vehicle evidently. I believe folks will suggest something besides SM-graded street oil now that you disclose the racing side of this car's life. SM/GF4 testing is pretty stout, but I don't know how comparable it is to racing. Doing all that with the car would inspire me to run a motor oil with lots of AW additive, at least on race days.

Pretty remarkable usage of a daily driver!
cheers.gif

Darn. I noticed the same phenomena in my wife's Caravan 3.8L V6. Over 2k mi and still looks clear on the dip stick. I thought this was a good thing, now you've got me worried. M1 was usually black after 1k mi. Can't wait for the UOA on this oil change.

I have been to MSR AND TMS here in Texas with my G35 running on Amsoil. I ran two weekend events on one oil change and the oil was dark by 6k but no different from not going to the track. Jetta hitting 140mph on a road-course is pretty doubtful btw. Especially a SOHC model.

GC 0w30 has never turned darker than light brown for me in my car - though the most I've run it is 5500 miles. When I ran Castrol Syntec 5w30 for 7500 miles it was brown (maple syrup color). Most oil I run to 5k doesn't start getting dark - even the TropArtic 5w30 semi-synthetic.

When I changed oil for a living years back - I saw dip sticks that were black like mud only after 3k. Always made me wonder... The oil is cleaning something or the engine is running way too hot.

(Very smart) People here keep saying that the oil color has nothing to do with how the oil is protecting/lasting in your engine. I don't know much but have a hard time believing thit because oil gets darker as it ages. Black oil imho will not perform as well as the light honey colored stuff out of the bottle. So, I personally base my OCIs on oil color (and usually end up changing them out way too soon). Either way, the way I run my car - if I ever see back oil on the dipstick I'd be worried big time (on my engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back