Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: JR
pick up 6 jugs @ $13.00. so i have two services for the ol' 1997 powersmoke. not a bad buyharvey
Pennzoil Euro is a gasoline oil, not diesel. Are you using this in a diesel?

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubr...ltra-0w-40.html

Acea A3/B4 = TBN 10min

HTHS= 3.5 min

Api CF=diesel spec. ACEA B4=diesel spec MB 229.5= Acea A3/B4 + additional MB requirements RN0700 & RN0710 = Acea A3/B4 +some additional Renault requirements...

PCMO for us...HDEO for you

So just dont panic...thank you
smile.gif

No panic on my part, I would not use it in a diesel, but that is just me

It is probably better choice then most diesel specific oils for older non-emission equipped diesels.
IMO, I would use Platinum 0W40 in older diesel before Shell Rotella. In every aspect 0W40 is better.

Regarding 0Wxy viscosities...

In 90's with an introduction of vw G4 TDI engines...VAG was pushing Castrol with their 0w30 (or it was 0w40 dunno) formula...

First it was extra expensive at that time (0Wxy viscosities still are + that kind of oils are still pretty uncommon here nor are really needed regarding our weather in EU)

Second...use of 0w30 resulted in bore polishing...and otherwise bulletproof 1.9TDI started to become oil thirsty
smile.gif

Could it be that that was due to different/inproper formulation of these new 0Wxy oils in 90's...

But since then I am trying to avoid them...5W&10W viscosities more then suffice for me!

In 90's with an introduction of vw G4 TDI engines...VAG was pushing Castrol with their 0w30 (or it was 0w40 dunno) formula...

First it was extra expensive at that time (0Wxy viscosities still are + that kind of oils are still pretty uncommon here nor are really needed regarding our weather in EU)

Second...use of 0w30 resulted in bore polishing...and otherwise bulletproof 1.9TDI started to become oil thirsty
smile.gif

Could it be that that was due to different/inproper formulation of these new 0Wxy oils in 90's...

But since then I am trying to avoid them...5W&10W viscosities more then suffice for me!

I think a lot has changed in nearly 30 years.

Last edited:

smile.gif

If you had a TDI that required Flexible Service Intervals, then it's a 0w30 oil, as it was called for in the 506.00/506.01 spec.

Fixed intervals were still 5w40 with the 505.00 spec.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

It is probably better choice then most diesel specific oils for older non-emission equipped diesels.
IMO, I would use Platinum 0W40 in older diesel before Shell Rotella. In every aspect 0W40 is better.

I wouldn't. CF is a weak diesel spec that is not applicable for 4-stroke engines.

I would use Rotella in a older diesel, since they meet 4-stroke diesel API specs. If you want a Group-III, then it's T6 (or Chevron Delo 400LE 5w40, if you want to pay a little less)

Based upon what? Legitimate question. If CF is its current specification, it is not possible for it to be "better" than CJ-4 or CK-4 in a diesel application.

Based upon what? Legitimate question. If CF is its current specification, it is not possible for it to be "better" than CJ-4 or CK-4 in a diesel application.

I am just looking from perspective of NOACK, oxidation etc. But yeah, you and UG-Passat are right, there are other properties that matter strictly to diesels.

smile.gif

I think issues on TDI were due to W30 or W40 issue, not 0W or 5W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back