Highest viscosity euro 40wt oils

I have the Audi 3.0 supercharged engine in my 2013 Q5. These engines have a common start-up timing chain tensioner rattle and mine's done it most of it's whole life. It's ok initially after an oil change and starts a few thousand miles into the oci when the viscosity drops. Usually occurred around 5k miles into the interval with Castrol 0W-40 (what it was on most of it's life), and 2k miles into the interval with M1 0W-40 SP and Castrol 5W-40 SP.

I'm considering trying M1 5W-50 as uoa's for the SP version indicate it settles into 13.xx cst viscosity. Are there any other higher viscosity and/or more shear stable 40wt oils I should consider before moving to M1 5W-50?

I have the Audi 3.0 supercharged engine in my 2013 Q5. These engines have a common start-up timing chain tensioner rattle and mine's done it most of it's whole life. It's ok initially after an oil change and starts a few thousand miles into the oci when the viscosity drops. Usually occurred around 5k miles into the interval with Castrol 0W-40 (what it was on most of it's life), and 2k miles into the interval with M1 0W-40 SP and Castrol 5W-40 SP.

I'm considering trying M1 5W-50 as uoa's for the SP version indicate it settles into 13.xx cst viscosity. Are there any other higher viscosity and/or more shear stable 40wt oils I should consider before moving to M1 5W-50?
Why not sticking to Castrol 0W40?
Motul 5W40 is bit thicker.
I would be tempted to try HPL Euro 5W40. You basically want oil that is shear stable, and HPL is that.

It's ok initially after an oil change and starts a few thousand miles into the oci when the viscosity drops.
I can't imagine it has much to do with oil viscosity. Oil viscosity on cold starts might range from 50 cST to 500 cST depending on ambient temperature. After the oil is shear-thinned, it might range from 45 cST to 450 cST. If the rattle is happening in all weather conditions, then it's happening over a wide range of oil viscosities.

I would try changing only the oil filter. A restrictive filter will reduce oil flow on cold starts and delay oil pressure rise at the chain tensioners. A leaky anti-drainback valve in the filter will do the same, as will thicker oil.

Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 has 14.8 cst@100.

in europe vw-audi cars from 2008-2015 have a well known problem with timing chain fail and their plastics.my friends audi failed and his engine got in a mess, payed 2500 euros to fix it.it starts with that rattle..see yourself:

Rattle in the Engine During Startup or Idling​

A normal engine has a consistent and smooth sound that means everything is running well. When you hear a rattle or unusual sound, it means that there is a problem with the engine. When the timing chain is loose, it can cause a vibration in the motor resulting in a rattling noise as the engine idles or when starting. If you hear a rattle, it means something is loose and needs to be fixed before it breaks.

have you done a check of the timing chain? do it as soon as possible with a good expert mechanic.

Total Quartz 5W40 is around 14.8 cSt. But is it available in the US?

This is the first oil i ever bought for my first oil change and my 1000th message on bitog is about it lol.

Last edited:

I would think Redline Euro 5w40. Vis @ 100C is 15.2 cSt

I'd keep Castrol 0w40, anyway you can try Ravenol, Meguin Megol, Redline and Amsoil 0w40 or 5w40.

in europe vw-audi cars from 2008-2015 have a well known problem with timing chain fail and their plastics.my friends audi failed and his engine got in a mess, payed 2500 euros to fix it.it starts with that rattle..see yourself:

have you done a check of the timing chain? do it as soon as possible with a good expert mechanic.
That is blank statement.
1 Audi V8 up until 2006 with timing belt had issues with can adjuster chains, or more precisely, guides on adjuster. If dealt with soon, not big deal.
2. V8 FSI from B7 S4 that was in all other Audi vehicles is one that is notorious. Those guides require 40-45hrs work.
3. EA888 up until mid 2012 had timing chain tensioner issue.

Most A3/B4 5W-40s except for some oddballs like SHU are between about 14.5-14.8 cst , don't know what's available where you live.
Castrol 13.4, Mobil 13.2. The M1 FS 5W-40 is actually a bit under the 0W-40 which is at 13.8. I’d say the thicker oils are now the oddballs compared to the majors.

Back