Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 In Heavy Duty Application

I checked Pennzoil's website for an oil recommendation for a Chevy Silverado 3500HD gasoline engine powered pickup truck, and Pennzoil recommended Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 which meets Dexos1 Gen 3. When I checked the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for this oil, I noticed the viscosity is on the thin side: 9.8cst @ 100 deg C. I followup with Pennzoil customer service inquiring about the HTHS for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, and I was told that the information was proprietary and could not be disclosed. I understand the minimum HTHS for a 30 wt oil is 2.9 cP at 150 deg C. Without knowing the actual HTHS, is Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 a good choice for using in a heavy-duty pickup truck for towing and hauling applications?

I checked Pennzoil's website for an oil recommendation for a Chevy Silverado 3500HD gasoline engine powered pickup truck, and Pennzoil recommended Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 which meets Dexos1 Gen 3. When I checked the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) for this oil, I noticed the viscosity is on the thin side: 9.8cst @ 100 deg C. I followup with Pennzoil customer service inquiring about the HTHS for Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, and I was told that the information was proprietary and could not be disclosed. I understand the minimum HTHS for a 30 wt oil is 2.9 cP at 150 deg C. Without knowing the actual HTHS, is Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 a good choice for using in a heavy-duty pickup truck for towing and hauling applications?
If it meets the spec, there will be no statistically significant performance difference from another oil that meets the same spec.

Should be fine. If towing and hauling actual heavy loads and especially in non steady rpm conditions like up mountains I'd probably bump up to an SP rated euro oil and also change the rear diff oil to at least 110 or preferably 140.

If you are in search for a "heavy duty" oil look no further then Mobil 1 Delvac series of oils. Rated for gas and diesel engines. Designed for big rigs.

I ran this in the Ecoboost and it never sheered real bad. Stayed in grade. Produced above average Blackstone reports.

HDEO...Heavy Duty Engine Oil

I ran this in the Ecoboost and it never sheered real bad. Stayed in grade. Produced above average Blackstone reports.
Are you absolutely certain there wasn’t shearing that was offset by oxidative thickening?

Producing above average Blackstone reports isn’t the win you think it is when you’re saying it like that. 🤷‍♂️

Also, just wondering, when you run a given oil only once before changing to another, what correlation is that supposed to have that makes you think anything about that oil is “above average”? One can’t make any valid inferences about relative wear rates from a single UOA, no matter how many times the praise is repeated. There’s a reason why UOAs are used for trending, not absolute data…

What are your demands?

Are you absolutely certain there wasn’t shearing that was offset by oxidative thickening?

Producing above average Blackstone reports isn’t the win you think it is when you’re saying it like that. 🤷‍♂️

Also, just wondering, when you run a given oil only once before changing to another, what correlation is that supposed to have that makes you think anything about that oil is “above average”? One can’t make any valid inferences about relative wear rates from a single UOA, no matter how many times the praise is repeated. There’s a reason why UOAs are used for trending, not absolute data…

When I was looking for a solution for my Ecoboost monsters I did look towards the turbo Subaru crowd and they were using Rotella 5W40 happily. I thought this was a good.idea but I wanted it to be gas rated so I went with Mobil Delvac 5W40 ESP. The Delvac series has a lot of great reviews. I did many Blackstone tests and not just one and was satisified with the results. I used Delvac for years until the API SP rating came out and decided to try different oils to see how it went.

Another reason switching away from Delvac was simply supply. Its hard to find nowadays just like a lot of things are.

So if someone said they have a 3500 and doing heavy towing or off roading then I would point to the Delvac 5W40. Heavy towing around here.I commonly see is a 3 or 4 car trailer. Basically they turn.their 3500 into a big rig. In that case use the oil rigs use which is Delvac.

Do you have the new 6.6L gasoline engine? Just wondering because I have a 2011 LML and 2018 L5P Diesels that are not suitable for severe cold operation. Even with winter Diesel fuel, my LML wouldn't start because the fuel had gelled at -42C. My next truck will be a
3500 CCLB 6.6L gasoline with the 10 speed. Likely an LT with leather like the old 2006 LBZ.
I used HDEO 10w30s and 15w40s on railway 6.0L 2500s. For winter 5w30 wasn't good enough for severe cold and went to 0w40 after a no oil pressure Janruary cold start at Hinton, Alberta. (pulp mill job)
Pet-Can 5w30 shows 100C 11.3 & 150C 3.3 I'm using that in a 2022 3.6L Acadia, when it's used up, I have 1.5 pails of Delo 5w40 CK-4/SN plus to use up.
In your case, I'd use either the 5w40 Delo or15w40 Delo "synthetic technology" which is a group II & III blend and cheaper.
Or, one of the many 5w40 SP synthetic's out there. Havoline has a good one, not the Euro blend, but the API mid saps offering. P .096 Zn .105
I'm not a big fan of the higher SA ACEA Euro 5w40s. The API SPs are aimed at our fuel blends and emission systems.

What color is your truck? My bossy daughter says "no more black trucks". Yep, they look good on the day you wash them. A week later, not so much. The 2018 High Country, which she says is her's, is graphite metallic. I guess posession is 9/10th of the law, not the dummy making the payments.

With all due respect, userfriendly, PP 5W-30 has a very low CCS value at -30C, and is an excellent winter oil. I ran it last winter through a few -27 to -30C starts, and it amazed me how easily the engine turned over. Just one experience, but it still does have very good cold-temp values.
As for the OP’s truck, stick with a Dexos-approved 5W-30 for the warranty.

You may wish to try Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30.
It's data sheet shows it has Kinematic Viscosity @ 100C of 11.4, which is on the thick side for a 5W-30.
Even though it's HTHS is not published, it might be 3.1 or 3.2 due to the thicker Kinematic Viscosity of 11.4 @100C.

An added benefit to this oil is it will treat your oil seals to prevent leaks.

But if you want a heavy duty oil, you may wish to try a 5W-30 with HTHS = 3.5, such as:
Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP euro rated for Acea C3 which imples HTHS = 3.5.
Castrol 5W-30 C3 euro rated for Acea C3 which imples HTHS = 3.5.

With all due respect, userfriendly, PP 5W-30 has a very low CCS value at -30C, and is an excellent winter oil. I ran it last winter through a few -27 to -30C starts, and it amazed me how easily the engine turned over. Just one experience, but it still does have very good cold-temp values.
As for the OP’s truck, stick with a Dexos-approved 5W-30 for the warranty.
Yep, 5w30 is good down to -30C for CCS, and if the engine starts, the oil better pump and flow.
For colder than -30C, better have 0Wxx in the crankcase, especially if the oil has any time on it.
Used oil at drain time might not have the W grade it started out with.
"Up state SC" ain't the Canadian prairies or northern Alberta.
The coldest thing there is the Hurricanes' winning streak, so what is the point of a 5W winter grade especially in summer?

My post; If this was my truck, I'd do this or that based on experience. It's not a recommendation.
IMO, everyone can do whatever they want with their own machinery. From lawnmowers to capesize carriers..

Last edited:
If your concern is the 5W30 becoming a 5W20 when it comes out I would go with an HDEO like Rotella or Delvac. Blackstone has repeatedly said it doesnt matter and so have others out there. However, Ive been told not to worry about a lot of things in life which later on I should have been worried about. It all depends on what the truck is actually used for. Over here they take those trucks to the limit pulling car trailers that maybe a medium duty or heavy duty truck should be pulling.

Going by the book any 5w30 dexos spec meeting oil would be fine, 0w40 or 5w40 Euro or dual rated HDEO would give you a little more thickness if towing heavy-frequently.

I appreciate all the responses...thanks everyone.

Yes, I have the 6.6L L8T gasoline engine in my Silverado 3500HD, and GM specs Dexos1 Gen 3 5W30 oil. As I mentioned, Pennzoil Platinum is the recommended, by Pennzoil, for the truck.

I have read that Pennzoil's GTL base stock is very shear stable, and it requires little VII for a 5W30 oil. Again, I am not really sure why Pennzoil is unwilling to disclose the HTHS value for Platinum 5W30. It almost appears they have something to hide from the public.

PP 5w30 is all I’ve used in my 2006 2500 Yukon 6.0 and 20112500 HD Silverado 6.0. Yukon is gone but the 2011 is used for towing my 8,000# TT. No issues but I also don’t do a UOA. Change oil every 6mo. It’s not a daily driver so not a lot of short trips.

I have read that Pennzoil's GTL base stock is very shear stable, and it requires little VII for a 5W30 oil. Again, I am not really sure why Pennzoil is unwilling to disclose the HTHS value for Platinum 5W30. It almost appears they have something to hide from the public.
All base stocks are shear stable. The molecules are way to small to shear, it is always the VII that shear - if they do. This isn't as common as some people on this board think.

As you already noted, the product meets the HT/HS requirement of the grade, license or approval that the oil holds. It's not hiding. If it is a concern that for your application the HT/HS might be too low then either move up a grade or pick a brand that does list the value.

Back