5w30 recommendation for old-school engines.

My fleet consists of a 2021 Tundra w/5.7 3UR-FE and a 2016 4Runner w/4.0 1GR-FE. Due to their service routine, I practice a 5k or 6 month OCI, whichever comes first. The work commute for the Tundra is a 20 mile roundtrip every 3rd day. The 4R experiences a horrible school and daycare drop-off and pick-up that are within in a mile of the house (would be better fit for an EV or plug-in hybrid). However, long road trips are done using either of the two for vacations. We live in Dallas, TX.

I currently run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 with Toyota oem filter in each of them, but lately have questioned its reformulations to follow ILSAC trends towards greater efficiency. From reading here, it seems the HTHS of oils is a large component for engine protection and longevity and something that is trending downward in the American oil formulations, so I started to look at the euro counterparts such as Pennz Euro L 5w30. My apprehension there is how cheap it is compared to PUP. I know cost isn't everything, but the saying of you "pay for what you get" enters my mind.

Another apprehension I have is that the new formulations are geared to address engine designs that utilize turbos, GDI, and address their issues of LSPI, fuel-dilution, etc.. Though it's rumored that some late model Toyotas have low ring tension and may contribute to bypass so I don't know (was going to perform the first oil analysis on the Tundra here next month). Outside of that, my car's engines are simple port-injection, naturally aspirated with timing chains and vvt-i. I don't know if there are unforeseen consequences of running oil with additives that address engines of different design when trying grab an oil with a HTHS of around 3.5?

I know people say you can run whatever you want on engines that are "easy on oil," but what would you recommend for these old-school designs when protection, longevity and cleanliness are your highest priorities?

Last edited:
My fleet consists of a 2021 Tundra w/5.7 3UR-FE and a 2016 4Runner w/4.0 1GR-FE.
I know people say you can run whatever you want on engines that are "easy on oil," but what would you recommend for these old-school designs when protection, longevity and cleanliness are your highest priorities?

M1 FS 0W-40

Port injection engines do not cause fuel dilution from what I know. First thing is to understand the types of oils and their properties.

Let me tell you this, any oil you pick off the shelf and change at 5,000 - 6,000 miles with a good oil filter will push your engine to a life longer than your entire car.

If I was you, first thing I would do is type the model cars you have into google and then "UOA" after then to see what oils people ran and how the results were, it would give you a good idea of where to start and what to look for.

If you go for a 229.5,A40, 229.51 and 229.52 rating oil, they have HTHS ratings of 3.5 and help reduce wear but cause fuel mileage to suffer, in life there is always a trade off.

If you are not on warranty, I would use any 5w30, 0w30 and 5w40 rate oil that as a 229.5 Mercedes rating and run it to 5,000 miles with a oil filter such as Fram Ultra, Fram Tough Guard, Purolator Boss, Toyota TRD, Napa/Wix Gold or aa Amsoil filter. In terms of brands, have fun with them, I would go with Pennzoil first, run that for a year, then M1 and run that for a year and then move to Castrol and run that for a year. Why this way? Well the differences are so miniscule that you and your engine will NOT be able to tell the difference on a objective level that would lead to a switch.

If you go for a 229.5,A40, 229.51 and 229.52 rating oil, they have HTHS ratings of 3.5 and help reduce wear but cause fuel mileage to suffer, in life there is always a trade off.

If you are not on warranty, I would use any 5w30, 0w30 and 5w40 rate oil that as a 229.5 Mercedes rating and run it to 5,000 miles with a oil filter such as Fram Ultra, Fram Tough Guard, Purolator Boss, Toyota TRD, Napa/Wix Gold or aa Amsoil filter.
Being that both are fuel hogs, I'm definitely not looking to my oil choice to improve mileage. Oil is for protection first in my mind.

Any reason why you would suggest the Toyota TRD filter over the normal Toyota oil filter?

Being that both are fuel hogs, I'm definitely not looking to my oil choice to improve mileage. Oil is for protection first in my mind.

Any reason why you would suggest the Toyota TRD filter over the normal Toyota oil filter?
From what I recall they use a better (synthetic) media for filtration where the regular ones do not.

What Averroes and slacktide_bitog said. If you use whatever synthetic 5w-30 is on sale at the time and change every 6mo/5k, then the chances of the engine wearing out before the wheels fall off is pretty slim.

Put the extra money into rust prevention and keeping the tires, brakes, transmission, and cooling system tip top if you want them to last as long as possible. A lot more cars go to the junk yard with busted transmissions, overheated engines and from accidents then from worn out engines.

Last edited:
Our 2001 Tundra 4.7 with 212K generally gets M1 High Mileage 5w30. Fram XG2 maybe?
As others have said, those engines will be happy on any decent 5w30. Whatever's on sale...

Your vehicles are old school? Look at my sig for what I use in "old school".
Ah yes, had a 2000 4Runner 2wd Limited and then tracked down a 2000 SR5 4wd with a 5-speed manual. Probably my favorite Toyotas along with the 80 series Land Cruisers.

I miss the 3rd gen 4runners, but decided to grab the last of the Toyota V8 before they were gone. The highway cruising comfort of the Tundra can't be denied, but the 3rd gen 4R's had a boatload of character.

Ah yes, had a 2000 4Runner 2wd Limited and then tracked down a 2000 SR5 4wd with a 5-speed manual. Probably my favorite Toyotas along with the 80 series Land Cruisers.

I miss the 3rd gen 4runners, but decided to grab the last of the Toyota V8 before they were gone. The highway cruising comfort of the Tundra can't be denied, but the 3rd gen 4R's had a boatload of character.
I would only own a 3rd gen 4Runner...

Consider 10w30 since you are in Texas. Really any brand but look for Full Synthetic. Maybe a High Mileage variant or Euro.

This will still flow to 0 F and will be much less susceptible to shear.

From what I recall they use a better (synthetic) media for filtration where the regular ones do not.
They are built very well. I use the TRD or the Royal Purple in the Camry, and my main reason is for the quality of construction and the way they fit inside the canister followed closely by filtering ability.

You'll be fine with this. ;)
1691437571774.jpg

Back