Pennzoil dexos1 Synthetic Blend 5w30 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
If it meets dexos1 the NOACK is similar to PP.

The TDS on shell.com lists its NOACK at 13.0%, which is the maximum allowable under dexos1 if I recall correctly. HTHSv is 3.0.

"Specially formulated for use in all GM vehicles"

Darn, I have a Mopar.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Darn, I have a Mopar.
21.gif

Lol.

For the price, I might try it for the Cobalt....

Hmm.. $16.27 for this blend, or 4 bucks more for the 5qt jug of Quaker State UD full syn dexos?

I'm leaning toward the Quaker State for my new 2012-model Chevy Malibu w/ 2.4l Ecotec.

Decision, decisions.. I'm sure both of them are good.

Originally Posted By: amp
Hmm.. $16.27 for this blend, or 4 bucks more for the 5qt jug of Quaker State UD full syn dexos?

I'm leaning toward the Quaker State for my new 2012-model Chevy Malibu w/ 2.4l Ecotec.

Decision, decisions.. I'm sure both of them are good.

Try em' both?

Any VOAs or UOAs on this oil? I'm using PYB and have been for a long time, and really wanna see the data on the syn blend before my next OC.

Originally Posted By: MileHigh18
Any VOAs or UOAs on this oil? I'm using PYB and have been for a long time, and really wanna see the data on the syn blend before my next OC.

My curiosity is really peaked also, I've not seen any UOA/VOA on it though. If it has the same add pack as PYB but with the 50% synthetic it's a bargain IMO.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
$16.27 according to the tag beneath it...

Has at LEAST 50% syn in it.

Is it really 50% Group III? Great value. MaxLife has a good slug of syn too, but I don't know how much.

Max life and durablend have 30-40% syn in it, according to the msds sheets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Darn, I have a Mopar.
21.gif

Look at the Pennzoil Gold (meets Chrysler MS 6395 standards) PDS it is the same as the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend Dexos 1 PDS, I believe they are the same oil just packed/labeled differently for marketing but still meeting both standards.
I am going to run the Dexos 1 in my Mopar from walmart because it is convenient to get, to get the Gold 5W 30 is 66 miles round trip for me which I have previously done.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
True...lets face it...either the higher tier "syns" are not worth as much as they cost for most vehicles OR dexos1 is not that stringent of a spec and more of a money making ploy by GM. I am sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I'm not sure how GM would make any appreciable amount of money (from their perspective as a company with $39 billion in revenue)from Dexos licensing; how many different oils are there times the licensing cost? Tens of millions at the very extreme absurd outside chance, and that's not enough for them to really give a [censored] about.

I think more likely they're trying to push Dexos as a "green" standard with longer OCIs (less overall oil used) and energy conserving properties. It's a marketing thing, I'll bet you.

Agreed. While there is a big financial component to it, I suspect, it's not about "profit" so much. As you point out, they're not going to be making a killing off of dexos1 licensing fees. It does, however, allow them to easily and visibly shift the cost of the R&D that went into dexos1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Agreed. While there is a big financial component to it, I suspect, it's not about "profit" so much. As you point out, they're not going to be making a killing off of dexos1 licensing fees. It does, however, allow them to easily and visibly shift the cost of the R&D that went into dexos1.

Agreed...

The 16.27 price was a 'Rollback'....the everyday price is 17.27.

I wouldn't hesitate to use this oil in most new GM's for 5K to 7K or so....but I'll stick with full synthetic in my Cruze turbo (which is very hard on oil)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back