Pennzoil 0w-16 is Coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: nap

30 years later, most manufacturers still can’t make engines that properly lubricate with a plain API SN 5W30 oil, and we’re assisting to a malignant proliferation of house specs and certifications....

So funny.
crazy.gif

Where did you come up with that?

You didn’t hear about this thing “dexos”, did you?

Originally Posted By: tig1

So what! That's the way it was back then. Your chart is useless(charts like yours can be made to fit anyone's opinion) in respect to the vast difference in actual benefits that the M1 5-20 had over the dino 10-40. At least in my application.

It's only useless in your mind as you want to keep wheeling out your 40 year old anecdote as though it's relevent today. It's NOT.

That's why I call you on it every time that you wheel it out.

It's repetitive blather that has nothing to do with modern engines, modern oils, modern J300. It neither justifes, nor proves anything in the modern world.

The modern equivalent to that oil is Redline 5W20, not a modern ILSAC oil.

For greater entertainment, let’s remember this thread too

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4474533/Has_Ford_switched_back_to_5W30

laugh.gif

Yep, good thread. I wouldn't feel too warm and fuzzy if I were to run an oil for lets say 50-60K miles and find out it could cause problems. Then the mfg issues a TSB to change it to a different grade than originally spec'd. In fact I'd be sick to my stomach. Only time will tell just how good 0W16 is going to be, or if they decide in order to reduce warranty claims they have to bump it a grade or two up, or go back to the drawing board. Like I said only time will tell.

Or maybe it was plain economics. Like in “we can build an engine working on 5W20 for $7000 each giving 30.1mpg and this $$$ amount in recalls and warranty work; or an engine working with 5W30 for $5000 each giving 30 mpg and this lesser amount in recalls and warranty”.

Then the bean counters put it in a spreadsheet, added the CAFE costs, and decided that pursuing the extra 0.1mpg is actually detrimental for profits.

Or maybe it was plain economics. Like in “we can build an engine working on 5W20 for $7000 each giving 30.1mpg and this $$$ amount in recalls and warranty work; or an engine working with 5W30 for $5000 each giving 30 mpg and this lesser amount in recalls and warranty”.

Then the bean counters put it in a spreadsheet, added the CAFE costs, and decided that pursuing the extra 0.1mpg is actually detrimental for profits.
Come on man. Bean counters and CAFE have no say in any of this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tig1

So what! That's the way it was back then. Your chart is useless(charts like yours can be made to fit anyone's opinion) in respect to the vast difference in actual benefits that the M1 5-20 had over the dino 10-40. At least in my application.

It's only useless in your mind as you want to keep wheeling out your 40 year old anecdote as though it's relevent today. It's NOT.

That's why I call you on it every time that you wheel it out.

It's repetitive blather that has nothing to do with modern engines, modern oils, modern J300. It neither justifes, nor proves anything in the modern world.

The modern equivalent to that oil is Redline 5W20, not a modern ILSAC oil.

The BITOG police has spoken once again!!!
13.gif
M1 5-20 in 1978 was very relative to my environment (Maine) at the time. Valvoline 10-40 was fine except for hard cold temp starts at -15-20F. M1 5-20 saved the day for me.

Last edited:
BITOG Police...me ?....???...you are delusional.

You could try making the occasional relevant fact...fact being the operative word rather than 40 year old anecdote.

But that wouldn't be tig1 would it ?
11.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
Bean counters and CAFE have no say in any of this.

I’m sorry but my experience is that everything has to go through the Bean Counters these days.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Guess what's coming out this fall. 0W 0

Also the rubber industry will introduce winter tires for lawn mowers.

The secret dream of mowing grass in January will become possible.

Yay
laugh.gif

No, Tig is right, you act like BITOG police. You jump on him all the time even though most other posts are dumber than his.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
BITOG Police...me ?....???...you are delusional.

You could try making the occasional relevant fact...fact being the operative word rather than 40 year old anecdote.

But that wouldn't be tig1 would it ?
11.gif

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call “policing” interrupting 2 pages of blather with some interesting oil related facts and argument.

0w16 0w8 0w4....it’s the future. Wrap your mind around it for the newer vehicles. For the old Carriages that drive, I use thicker stuff, as recommended by the manufacturer. But electric vehicles won’t need much in the way of oiling so goodby......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back