teenager riding my 67 HD 250 Sprint @ 50MPH. Learned
an important lesson that day about the need to wear
protective gear after the accident.

Currently enjoy mountain DS & twisty riding
wearing proper protective gear.

The protective gear is hot during the summer,
so I ride to the higher elevations to cool off
and enjoy the roads.

A few days ago, I was waiting in line at the U.S./Canadian border. There were two HD riders in front of me. One was dressed normally and had a nice sounding bike. The other was the typical Village People/pirate wannabe. Obnoxiously loud pipes and he was even flying a jolly roger flag off the back of the bike. How childish is that?

The two guys weren't riding together. The just ended up being in line together. It was abundantly clear that the normal HD guy wanted nothing to do with Jolly Roger but JR just wouldn't let this guy be. Joe normal would hang back to let JR go ahead of him but JR would wait. Joe normal would then go ahead of JR but JR would pull up beside him and continue to yap at the guy. Now, I don't know why, but Joe normal finally pulled to the side, let us in ahead of him and pulled in behind us. Hard to say why. Maybe he thought JR would draw heat at the border and didn't want to be associated with him. Or, Joe normal simply didn't want anything to do with the Village People/pirate act.

Just goes to show that some regular folks who want to ride a Harley aren't really keen on the bad boy wannabe scene. I really pity them. They're doomed simply by brand name association.

Make you wonder what the Village People/wannabe pirates see when they look in a mirror???

Mr. Incredible,If everyone dressed like you, rode the same bike as you, had the same dislike of chrome as you, hated loud pipes as you, thought the same as you, would that make you happy? I've never heard of any being annoyed by chrome before. On one hand you say you understand why people act like they do, but it bothers you. It's refereed to as freedom of choice. We are not a society where everyone has to conform to one image for anyone. If you like dull clothes it's your right to wear them. If you like quiet bikes, buy one.If chrome annoys you, don't have any. If you have so much time to worry about why some people live the life they do, get one.,,

Originally Posted By: boraticus
A few days ago, I was waiting in line at the U.S./Canadian border. There were two HD riders in front of me. One was dressed normally and had a nice sounding bike. The other was the typical Village People/pirate wannabe. Obnoxiously loud pipes and he was even flying a jolly roger flag off the back of the bike. How childish is that?

The two guys weren't riding together. The just ended up being in line together. It was abundantly clear that the normal HD guy wanted nothing to do with Jolly Roger but JR just wouldn't let this guy be. Joe normal would hang back to let JR go ahead of him but JR would wait. Joe normal would then go ahead of JR but JR would pull up beside him and continue to yap at the guy. Now, I don't know why, but Joe normal finally pulled to the side, let us in ahead of him and pulled in behind us. Hard to say why. Maybe he thought JR would draw heat at the border and didn't want to be associated with him. Or, Joe normal simply didn't want anything to do with the Village People/pirate act.

Just goes to show that some regular folks who want to ride a Harley aren't really keen on the bad boy wannabe scene. I really pity them. They're doomed simply by brand name association.

Make you wonder what the Village People/wannabe pirates see when they look in a mirror???
Kinda makes me wonder why someone who "claims" to be a biker drives his car more then his bike. There must have been a chance of rain.Have you ever gotten out of the protection of your car to talk to any of the people that scare you much? Would you call them "Pirate" to there face? I'm betting you lock your doors and look the other way. Maybe in Canada they try to make everyone say, look, and think the same, but when you come here it must look like total anarchy. You know, if you stay in Canada you wouldn't have to deal with all the bad guys that you wish you could be.,

i've got some corn for you,seriously..this thread reminds me of the "gang" of kids who took over the rock store on their mopeds..about thirty of them,one sport rider got mad yelling "this is embarassing!" jumped on his bike and took off,funny as [censored]...i thought the youngsters were brave to ride all the way from hollywood..point is support people because they ride,not on what or how they dress...proper gear is a given no doubt,if someone crashes with out it or acts like an idiot,their responsbility..and loud pipes are hurting our sport,around here anyway the law is starting to crack down on that too..a coworker got threatened with disturbing the peace on his way home at night,decided to take off the drag pipes...anyway,it should be about the joy of riding..put some oil in and go...

Anyone who gets out on the road is a "real biker" in my book.

Motorcycling is no different from any other activity or interest, there are a wide range of subcultures within it - some might be silly/dumb/trendy/etc but I like to think we're all more alike just for being out there than different because of our choice of bikes or apparel.

That said I have little patience for irresponsible riders - be it foolish squids swerving through traffic, people who ride drunk, or dopes with too-loud pipes. They reflect poorly on the rest of us.

jeff

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Mr. Incredible,If everyone dressed like you, rode the same bike as you, had the same dislike of chrome as you, hated loud pipes as you, thought the same as you, would that make you happy? I've never heard of any being annoyed by chrome before. On one hand you say you understand why people act like they do, but it bothers you. It's refereed to as freedom of choice. We are not a society where everyone has to conform to one image for anyone. If you like dull clothes it's your right to wear them. If you like quiet bikes, buy one.If chrome annoys you, don't have any. If you have so much time to worry about why some people live the life they do, get one.,,

Mr Cahuna, you have obviously not been paying attention.

It is not me who is being bothered, it is other people that are always ragging on loud-pipes-guys. For months. And months. They still do. Even though some have had a short vacation for it. It still lingers. I have not been one of those people. Perhaps you remember something about that...maybe not. If you have missed it all, perhaps you should put the pipe down and review.

Still, I agree with part of what you said. "It's refereed to as freedom of choice. We are not a society where everyone has to conform to one image for anyone. If you like dull clothes it's your right to wear them. If you like quiet bikes, buy one.If chrome annoys you, don't have any."

Exactly. Yet there are those that still can't seem to get it. Leather, chrome, and pipes on HDs is the worst thing in the world, yet overkill of all other types completely escapes their attention.

The goal here is to understand some of the differences in why the leather/chrome/pipes on the one hand, or (name your overkill for any other type motorcycle) for other preeners. Why do they do it? What's their reason/excuse? Are there reasons that mitigate their sin or not?

I can see why I stopped riding... People and their "Cliques"
smirk2.gif

Enough has been said and off topic. So here this one goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back