Passing on this 2008 F350 4wd V10 at auction tomorrow

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am in need of one more truck to haul trailers for my cross country move next month. Usually I will do a round trip with a truck to pick up multiple trailers. This move is 3,000 miles one way, price of fuel, etc. Thought to just buy another truck rather than a round tripper to pick up a trailer.

Saw this 2008 Ford F350 4WD, V10, 210k miles, king ranch interior (appears to have been installed by a prior owner- not the factory), Texas, Oklahoma history, and clear title. Truck is at the Columbia IAAI, just 15 minutes from me. Auction is tomorrow, IAAI only allows inspection of vehicles the day prior of the auction from 10am to 2pm. Decided to spend my lunch at the auction yard.

Title is clear. Carfax shows the vehicle was repossessed twice in 2021, once in Oklahoma, once in Texas. The Epic VIN report added little more, other than the interior was reported as black in color.

Walked up to the truck and it looked pretty clean. The windshield had two auction stickers on it, that was a HUGE red flag. The old auction sticker was from Progressive Insurance. the new/ latest sticker Ottich Enterprise LLC. A google search of Ottich identifies a used car dealer in Columbia, SC that does buy here/ pay here sales. That is a bad sign that a used car dealer is sending a in demand truck to a salvage auction.

Did a decent undercarriage inspection. Truck was recently rear ended, but no visual frame damage. Some minor rust, but nothing of concern. Interior looked nice. The update to the King Ranch interior was done properly, all the seat electronics worked. Started the truck up, put her in gear, drove five feet forward and back, seemed alright (not allowed to drive a vehicle being inspected- I broke the rule a tiny bit).

I smelled something and knew the truck was not a match for purchase (for me). The exhaust was thick and blue/ white. Big cloud of smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. As the engine warmed up- the cloud coming out the exhaust stayed consistent. The 6.8l V10 gas engine has a problem, likely a big problem. So big the used car dealer choose to send to auction then try to sell.

Attached is a picture of the smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. The smoke did not capture well on the camera, but it was in quantity in person. I think I still smell of the exhaust, a coolant like smell seems to be on my clothes.

PXL_20220329_170527673.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have time to rebuild a V10 after the 5.4 rebuild before you move? Slacker.
Ebay has rebuilts, $6,890. 'bring your own valve covers' so this way he just bolts it in. He's too busy to rebuild. : )

In case anyone was curious- this F350 with apparently a failed engine sold for $7025 at auction earlier today. With fees, likely about $8000-$8400 to be paid to the auction house (not including sales taxes, title, etc).

In addition, this truck sold with a good engine and 160,000 miles five years ago for 14k (per the epic vin report).

In case anyone was curious- this F350 with apparently a failed engine sold for $7025 at auction earlier today. With fees, likely about $8000-$8400 to be paid to the auction house (not including sales taxes, title, etc).

In addition, this truck sold with a good engine and 160,000 miles five years ago for 14k (per the epic vin report).
Isn’t that the engine that the plugs get stuck and snap off in the block ??

Back