Paint damage - 2018 GMC Sierra Crew cab.

This is damage to the driver's side of a low mile 2018 GMC Sierra Crew Cab that my 83 year old Dad wants to buy. It is the short (5 3/4 foot box).

The dealer is willing to give a credit on the purchase price to have the damage repaired, since their body shop is booked solid and they can't get to it anytime soon. The problem is, I don't know how much that they are planning to allow.

My gut is telling me around $800-$1000 to fill in those scratches, paint and clear coat that entire side of the bed, and replace the plastic trim around the wheel opening. I do know that the wheel opening trim is around $150 (depending on the source for the part).

The last time I had the side of a bed (6 1/2 feet) repainted it was quoted at 3 hours, and I'm guessing 3 hours of work to fill those scratches, sand, prep it all for paint, and for R&R.

Truck 6.jpg

That sucks. it depends on where you go. I had a guy do more work for less to partially repaint and re clear coat 2 panels. I'd drive around and ask for quotes. both big and small places.

Since its a credit its negotiable.. they should be able to at least give you a close number.

You only get what you ask for. they budget 1500 for it but you ask for 500$ its a win for them.

How perfect do you want it. It would not take much effort to get a plenty good enough job on the paint.

This is the method I use. use touchup paint to fill the scratches. It may take multiple coats over time. The sand with 1500 grit sand paper wrapped around a small block until it is flush with the surface. Just go easy until high spots are near level. Then use compound to buff the sand marks out. I've done it for decades. As long as you don't go crazy with the sand paper it will be fine.

This repair is permeant and will not go dull over time. For $150 I might consider just replacing the plastic. There is no way to buff textured plastic. You might just treat it with a protectant to see if the contract between the scratches gets low.

Once finished with this you would only see these if you go looking for it. put that $1000 in your front pocket and buy a new christmas tree for the rear view mirror. :)

If you replace the plastic strip that's an easy $2,000.00 repair. Personally-I wouldn't buy it unless the dealer repaired and you got a warranty. I would imagine these days they are asking top dollar for the truck-even with the credit. Is that truck special enough one can't be found elsewhere without damage?

If it was me and the discount was big enough I would buy the truck and not fix it.
Keeping a vehicle damage free at least in the big metro area I live in is tough.

Your dad is 83 and still driving? Good for him.

If it was me and the discount was big enough I would buy the truck and not fix it.
Keeping a vehicle damage free at least in the big metro area I live in is tough.

Your dad is 83 and still driving? Good for him.
With you man, I would negotiate the biggest credit possible then don't fix it other than to touch up any potential spots that could rust

From the pics, it looks like the wheel arch trim is gouged enough where it would need to be replaced as well to make it close to new. Is the area dented or the scratches down to metal?

Regardless, in today's market someone will buy it as-is and fast, so I doubt the dealer will offer much of a discount.

I'd personally leave the wheel arch trim as is and have at the scratches with touch up paint and leave the very thin ones alone.

I hear you though. If I were paying $35-40K for a 5yr old Chevy truck, I'd want it looking new.

FWIW, a co-worker of mine just bought a 2017 GMC Sierra Denali w/ 60K miles on it and paid $40K.. but it's got an aftermarket warranty! LOL.

I gave this truck a close look in person and decided to pass on it. The longer that I looked, the worse it kept getting. The other side of the bed had already been repainted once. For whatever reason, the rear bumper was brand new (probably replaced with the bed side was repainted). The front bumper had two dents in it. The tailgate didn't line up quite right. One of the 20 inch wheels was all gouged up. It just kept being one thing after another.

It had only 33,000 miles on it, but it had clearly not seen any TLC for any of that time. Plus, the day after we looked at it, the dealer *raised* the price by $500. Pass. No, hard pass.

Reactions: JTK
Probably would have been a bed side rail molding that usually cant be reused anyway, another $300 easy.

How perfect do you want it. It would not take much effort to get a plenty good enough job on the paint.

This is the method I use. use touchup paint to fill the scratches. It may take multiple coats over time. The sand with 1500 grit sand paper wrapped around a small block until it is flush with the surface. Just go easy until high spots are near level. Then use compound to buff the sand marks out. I've done it for decades. As long as you don't go crazy with the sand paper it will be fine.

This repair is permeant and will not go dull over time. For $150 I might consider just replacing the plastic. There is no way to buff textured plastic. You might just treat it with a protectant to see if the contract between the scratches gets low.

Once finished with this you would only see these if you go looking for it. put that $1000 in your front pocket and buy a new christmas tree for the rear view mirror. :)

This would go dull unless your doing a light buff once a year. Your touch up paint has no UV protection, you can't expect it to hold up like the surrounding paint...

Also a pita for anyone not savvy to actually do correctly. When I do this I mix 2k clear and matched basecoat together to give it the best chance of matching/lasting.

Last edited:
This would go dull unless your doing a light buff once a year. Your touch up paint has no UV protection, you can't expect it to hold up like the surrounding paint...

Also a pita for anyone not savvy to actually do correctly. When I do this I mix 2k clear and matched basecoat together to give it the best chance of matching/lasting.

I have not had that problem in the paints I have used and my cars live in the Texas sun all day. The scratches are so small you cant tell some tone differences in fading paint. I use the duplicolor or factory touchup paints. I don't do large broad areas like the video showed but scratches like the OP is showing are not problem.

If it does get a little dull the next wax/polish will shine it right up. The intent is to use as fine a sandpaper as possible so you don't need to buff as much. 1500 grit it the finest go. 2000+ after that. Buffs off nicely with meguiars ultimate polish or scratch X.

Back