Overfilling by 0.5 qt - ‘17 Miata

I drained my RAV4 on ramps on a sloped driveway and it drained more oil out of the engine. Manual says either 4.5 or 4.8qt for oil & filter change. I put the whole 5qt jug in and it came up to the full mark.

Try ramps and/or let it drain a little longer. You'll most likely find that putting in the full 5qts with be at or just slightly above the full mark on the dipstick. If it looks too full for you, you could always loosen the oil filter and drain that half quart back out. OR, just pour in the 4.5qt, back it off the ramps and then add until full.

You never know unless you try.

Last edited:
I've pondered this for our Accents. They call for 3.8 qts. The first oil change I poured in 4 quarts and it was slightly over the full mark. Probably no issue but I'm paranoid so I pour in the 3.8 quarts now. Unlikely it would ever cause an issue though.

Once the deep end of the sump is full of oil (and it better be) it can have no bearing on the level rise due to additional oil added. It is the area of the top surface that determines how much the level will rise due to additional oil that is added.
Understood. But is the sump sized to be full in operation? 7x7x6" would be 5qts, then subtract volume of pickup and and irregular intrusive shaping. So that 4.5 qt keeps you from flooding the near windage area. Static.

A running engine and static level are two different conditions or states. At some point (typically not known) you will flood the upper side of the windage tray and you will get foaming. May happen on a fast onramp or at a uphill or down hill light. Or just sitting at idle.

I will reiterate, most every owner's manual cautions about overfilling, some even state (the) 'excess oil should be removed immediately or engine damage may occur which is not covered by warranty'.

Where this overfill cut point is varies. I would use ~1 cup or 250ml max - a typical margin of fill error.

Another thought, think modern light grade oils are a bit of saving grace here vs. a not warmed 20W50 or 10W40.

I could give sage advice here, but I prefer in this subject to give what should be considered professional advice.

Hard to say. If the crank dips into the sump and creates void, that is a big problem. As I understand it, it is better to be a little low, than too high.

The oil level in the oil pan will go down quite a bit (about half way down the low and full mark of the dipstick) when the engine is running compared to when the engine is off.

A lot of the oil on the sump will actually be pumped up by the oil pump, and will be circulating in the oiling system, so the oil pan level will drop with the engine running.

When you are high up in the rpm range, the oil level will go down drastically, which isn’t ideal especially if you’re driving around tight corners, so adding a little bit extra oil won’t hurt.

An extra half a quart will not harm anything. I would just add the extra half a quart and be done with it.

My old 4.3 Vortec GM engine also takes about 4.5 quarts according to the owners manual, but I just put in 5 quarts. Never had any issues, and the oil level on the dipstick is in between Full and low while the engine is idling.

Also, my 2010 ford Taurus SHO with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine supposedly was fine with 5.5 quarts back in 2010 when I bought it, but the dealer put in a new “latest TSB” dipstick couple years ago, and they said 6.5 quarts of 5w20 is the “latest” spec for my engine. So technically, my car can run on 5.5 quarts, but it also can run with 6.5 quarts as well, even with the same oil pan and filter. They changed it because of fuel dilution issues thinning the oil out too much in between oil changes.

Just an interesting thing I wanted to share!

I overfill just about everything I change oil on. Just like FTTSHO here, started almost 20 years ago with my 99 Ford SVT Cobra when it was decided 7 quarts instead of 6 was preventing oil starvation bearing failures. Anything taking 4.whatever gets 5. The CTS-V calls for 6, gets 6.75

I've converted several people I know to rounding up on their refills. It's nice to not have to add makeup oil if you're doing a sample. Gives a nice cushion when it's a car that doesn't get the oil checked by anyone.

Back