Overfilling by 0.5 qt - ‘17 Miata

My Miata takes 4.5qts, but I started wondering recently if any harm would come to the engine if I just dumped in a full 5qt jug. Being left with 0.5 qts after every oil change annoys me.

Thoughts?

I would not purposely overfill it. Not worth the risk of extra oil in PCV system or extra that could introduce early oil leaks or possibly oil hitting the crankshaft and frothing the oil. Put the extra 1/2 qt on the shelf to add as needed. If no adding is needed, it will accumulate to another change in 9 changes.

Use in Outdoor Power Equipment.

Having a little extra on hand would come in handy.

Idea. Possible perform oil change at a different angle and more may drain out.

My ‘07 Accord 1/2 qt more drains out with the front up on ramps with an additional +1.5 degree due to an inclined driveway, compared to draining on a lift that is level.

Idea. Possible perform oil change at a different angle and more may drain out.

My ‘07 Accord 1/2 qt more drains out with the front up on ramps with an additional +1.5 degree due to an inclined driveway, compared to draining on a lift that is level.
Both my cars get more oil out with the front lifted a bit.

Done that for years, and it be barely over the full mark. Current cars, not so much, so I stopped. Bit annoying to have half a quart left, but next time I do a change I have a full left, etc. It’ll get used up, eventually.

When you fill it with 4.5qts, is the oil level right at the full mark on the dipstick? Maybe once, try adding 5qt and see where it shows on the dipstick. If it's just a little over the full mark, you're fine. If it's significantly above the full mark, then maybe not. I'm guessing simply removing the oil filter and putting it back will drain out close to .5qt, so that might be an option if you're not happy with how high the level on the dipstick is.

My Accord calls for 4.2 with filter change. I put in 5. Recent UOA looks good. Oil isn’t gushing out of the cylinders. I say go for it.

Plus, in a fun car like the Miata, gives ya a little more oil when hugging those turns at speed.

Overfill is never a good idea not knowing the pan and windage control and every OM I have read says DO NOT OVERFILL.

In practice - a cup over never seems to cause a problem.

You don't have to top off?

Save all those 1/2 quarts in that first jug and soon you will have enough to buy just a qt at the store and use up the drippies.
Drippies are the best. Very add rich.

Now that $9.99 buffet? Gotta do thirds and wayyy over do it :)

Half a quart of oil spread out over the area of the oil pan is a minuscule amount.
If the pan sump "deep end" area is say 7x7 that would raise the level over a 1/2" which can be significant.
One you hit the tipping point it can get nasty. Also the resonance of the crank case is calculated into the PCV operation and you change that frequency when you add fluid.

Imo, and in my experience, I wouldn't think it to be a problem. Have an 07 3.0L that calls for 4.5qts. have regularly used 5qts. Early on in ownership on a very rare dealer oil change, based on dipstick reading, pretty sure dealer did the same.

I certainly understand wanting to use all 5qt jug. Leaving half quart in a there or even putting in a quart bottle, does throw off the feng shui of the oil change.

While overfilling 1/2 quart is unlikely to cause any issues over a few or even several OCI intervals, it could eventually lead to leaks or PCV issues that you wouldn't otherwise have had. I put the 1/2 quart back on the shelf, it always gets used up at some point.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. Why purposely do something wrong even if it's unlikely to be a problem? Take the extra .5 quart and dump it into a single quart container. Use it for top ups, mowers, etc.

Back