Outsmarting RA’s Shipping Lunacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by The_Nuke
There is also an element of inflating the estimated arrival dates at work here, which I have seen at other places besides RA.

This most recent order from RA was submitted on Thursday, and all the cheapest shipping options estimated arrival next Friday. I chose Fed-Ex, and on the Order Shipped email I got Friday from RA, it estimated delivery on Wednesday. Somehow two days were cut off from their original estimate.

When I pull up the shipping number on Fed Ex's aight, their estimated delivery is tomorrow, Monday. So RA had me choosing shipping options based upon estimates that were a full 5 days inflated. It's almost as if they were hoping I would choose a more expeditious shipping option.

It's not malicious intent to upell you on more expensive shipping... It's simple: if it shows up earlier than described, you'll be happy. If it takes longer than the estimate, you'll complain!

I don't consider it malicious for a company to intentionally inflate their various shipping options' estimated delivery dates in the hopes of getting more folks to choose expedited shipping. I consider it underhanded and sneaky, but not malicious.

RA isn't the only company doing it, if they are in fact doing it, but the fact that they seem to be inflating their estimates by almost a week, at least in this one case, does irk me quite a bit.

Is it enough to drive me away from using their website to order parts? No, it isn't. I will continue to give them my business, but I won't put much trust in their shipping estimated delivery dates going forward, that's for sure.

eBay stopped that game by charging the seller based on the total cost of the item, plus the cost of the shipping.

Before, there were sellers in China selling items for a penny plus shipping.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
There is also an element of inflating the estimated arrival dates at work here, which I have seen at other places besides RA.

This most recent order from RA was submitted on Thursday, and all the cheapest shipping options estimated arrival next Friday. I chose Fed-Ex, and on the Order Shipped email I got Friday from RA, it estimated delivery on Wednesday. Somehow two days were cut off from their original estimate.

Don't think there's anything shady here at all. They base the arrival date on (2) things - 1) the vendor/warehouse will ship the item within 'x' number of days and then 2) add how long the shipper says it will take once shipped. In your scenario, it went something like this:

Initial estimate
Order date = Thursday
Latest ship date = Tuesday
Fedex estimate (3 days) = Friday

What happened in your case was this:

Actual
Order date = Thursday
Actual ship date = Friday
Fedex estimate (3 days) = Wednesday

Originally Posted by N Heat
So you guys are saying that RAs algorithm will select multiple shipping locations even though your entire order may be available from a single location?

Yes, they absolutely do that. One time, I was going to order 3 items from RockAuto. Items A and B were going to ship from the SAME warehouse, while item C was going to ship from a different warehouse. Then I changed I mind and decided to delete item C from my cart. As soon as I did, items A and B were going to ship from different warehouses! I ended up ordering everything from somewhere else. I

Recently paid for shipping from two locations and had both parts arrive in the same box.

Negligent web site programming or fraud?

Originally Posted by JiL
Recently paid for shipping from two locations and had both parts arrive in the same box.

Negligent web site programming or fraud?

Thats some bullshat. Im sure they do so many orders, theres very little human oversight. Im betting your situation is not the first like that.

I used to praise RockAuto but with my last few orders I've come out within a few dollars by just putting the part numbers into Amazon. Actual prices are often a bit higher but I don't have to pay shipping, don't have to play the warehouse game, and I get them within a day or two with Prime (which I would have anyways, so we can ignore the price of that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back