Out of Spec Reviews: EV “10% Challenge”

Model Y w/4680 cells. Only 71 miles.

It seems the 4680 Tesla packs are the slowest/worst charging batteries they sell in any of their vehicles. 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Model Y w/4680 cells. Only 71 miles.

It seems the 4680 Tesla packs are the slowest/worst charging batteries they sell in any of their vehicles. 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Have we seen enough testing to determine that?

What was the pack in the first test using the long range model? This is the low range small battery cheapie.

This test series doesn't count handshake time which gives the EA/EVgo cars a 1-3 minutes freebie.

Last edited:
Wonder if bigger cylindrical batteries are harder to cool due to less relative surface area. The side area to volume ratio % is 8.7 to 22.2. This probably needs to be balanced with smaller cells probably being heavier.
IMG_5802.jpeg

Wonder if bigger cylindrical batteries are harder to cool due to less relative surface area. The side area to volume ratio % is 8.7 to 22.2. This probably needs to be balanced with smaller cells probably being heavier.
View attachment 173067
Uncertain.

The tab-less 4680 generates no Ohmic heat and combined with partial ribbon cooling should run cooler than the the tab designs.

Uncertain.

The tab-less 4680 generates no Ohmic heat and combined with partial ribbon cooling should run cooler than the the tab designs.
Pouches are best for cooling. This is why cars like the EV6 GT are so thermally effective and heat doesn't stunt our range really. In 100*f temps, I lose maybe 5% or so on a full charge vs 70*f weather, for example (keeping the cabin at 68*f).

Pouches are best for cooling. This is why cars like the EV6 GT are so thermally effective and heat doesn't stunt our range really. In 100*f temps, I lose maybe 5% or so on a full charge vs 70*f weather, for example (keeping the cabin at 68*f).

Not sure that is universally true.

Many of the larger pouches have the center positioned too far from the cooling loop to be thermally efficient. I suspect Ultium will be a victim of this.

Hyundai Kona had a battery recall of something like 80K units because of this, and we know from the bolt recall that that pouch is too weak to prevent spread from one to another.

No doubt your battery is superior to both of those designs.

It's probably universally true that pouches are superior from a packaging standpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ws6
Hyundai IONIQ 6. 117 miles. 2nd place, behind the Taycan. Beat all the Teslas tested so far.

I've had my Camry for 8 years and 130k miles and with its 420 mile range on a full tank had to stop for gas away from home 6 times in all that time. If range was a concern then I wouldn't consider an EV at this point in time. Charging at work is one thing but relying on public chargers is not something I'm comfortable with. Yet.

Back