Out of Spec Reviews: EV “10% Challenge”

Out of Spec Reviews (one of the best EV testing/charging channels, IMO) just started a “10% Challenge” series to more realistically simulate EV road tripping.

The test:
- Start at 10% battery
- DC fast charge for exactly 15 minutes
- Drive at 80 MPH until you hit 10% battery again
- How far did you travel?

The spreadsheet (EDIT: sorry, didn’t realize the forum would embed the whole spreadsheet. Hopefully updates as it goes…)

The first 2 vehicles tested:
Tesla Model Y Long Range w/20” wheels: 98 miles
Porsche Taycan Long Range RWD w/21” wheels: 140 miles.

That's an interesting test, and does show that a brief pit stop can get you quite a bit of added range. I don't think it will satisfy someone who wants to drive all day, only stopping to use the washroom every few hours. For more moderately paced trips, it shows promise.

so on the porsche if you stretched it to 20min and drove 70mph would you hit 200miles?

Ok it's interesting I guess if you have two EVs in the stable why not test them?

We're comparing an AWD SUV vs a RWD Sedan at 80 MPH?

Aside from length you can almost fit a Taycan inside a Y, it has 82% less cargo space.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 1.05.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 1.05.53 PM.png

Out of Spec Reviews (one of the best EV testing/charging channels, IMO) just started a “10% Challenge” series to more realistically simulate EV road tripping.

The test:
- Start at 10% battery
- DC fast charge for exactly 15 minutes
- Drive at 80 MPH until you hit 10% battery again
- How far did you travel?

The spreadsheet (EDIT: sorry, didn’t realize the forum would embed the whole spreadsheet. Hopefully updates as it goes…)

The first 2 vehicles tested:
Tesla Model Y Long Range w/20” wheels: 98 miles
Porsche Taycan Long Range RWD w/21” wheels: 140 miles.

This is interesting. I hope some other EV owners accept the challenge, and perform the same routine on their cars, and share the results.

It doesn't seem to have any real world application, though. Except for perhaps the guy/gal that gets ready to head off to work, and realizes they forgot to plug in their car overnight, and needs a boost to get to work.

Are most charging stations capable of 268kW charging rate?

Ok it's interesting I guess if you have two EVs in the stable why not test them?

We're comparing an AWD SUV vs a RWD Sedan at 80 MPH?

Aside from length you can almost fit a Taycan inside a Y, it has 82% less cargo space.

View attachment 150255View attachment 150256
I honestly thought the Taycan was bigger than that, though I've never seen one parked next to a Y. I guess it makes sense that how low slung it is combined with the fact that it is longer too.

I might actually give this a whirl in my ID.4. Might have to do some planning though to make everything work out.

Edit: Side note that drivers door on the Tesla sounded like an old 80's Chevy Cavalier when he closed it.

Last edited:
That's an interesting test, and does show that a brief pit stop can get you quite a bit of added range. I don't think it will satisfy someone who wants to drive all day, only stopping to use the washroom every few hours. For more moderately paced trips, it shows promise.
Meh. So they ran a 250-ish kW charger for 15 minutes and put some energy in. So what?

We already know the Wh/mile, and can figure out charging efficiency from the wall plug.

At 10% SOC you have less to worry about regarding overpotential and cathode oxidation.

The data looks suspect to me because the Porsche is getting 40% more range for effectively the same charging rate? What are the claimed economic operations for each in Wh/mi?

Meh. So they ran a 250-ish kW charger for 15 minutes and put some energy in. So what?

We already know the Wh/mile, and can figure out charging efficiency from the wall plug.

At 10% SOC you have less to worry about regarding overpotential and cathode oxidation.

The data looks suspect to me because the Porsche is getting 40% more range for effectively the same charging rate? What are the claimed economic operations for each in Wh/mi?

Everyone wants to know what a really quick stop can net you.

Taycan has much less frontal area and is even more slippery than a Y.

We'll see what the model 3 does.

Last edited:
Everyone wants to know what a really quick stop can net you.

Taycan has much less frontal area and is even more slippery than a Y.

We'll see what the model 3 does.
It can be pretty easily calculated if you know Wh/mi and understand your charging rate.

Of course if the charger throttles, like mine did despite preconditioning the battery, then all bets are off. Which is why I’m not really a fan of such testing. All bets are off based upon too many parameters out of one’s control.

For most drivers of personal vehicles, one could easily estimate range when they add a gallon, or ten… assume whatever, 15, 20, 30 mpg times gallons and that’s your range.

Charging an EV that will vary its charging power including out of your control, charger ratings, etc., is a different story.

It can be pretty easily calculated if you know Wh/mi and understand your charging rate.

Of course if the charger throttles, like mine did despite preconditioning the battery, then all bets are off. Which is why I’m not really a fan of such testing. All bets are off based upon too many parameters out of one’s control.

For most drivers of personal vehicles, one could easily estimate range when they add a gallon, or ten… assume whatever, 15, 20, 30 mpg times gallons and that’s your range.

Charging an EV that will vary its charging power including out of your control, charger ratings, etc., is a different story.

You can guess pretty easily but as you say lots of variable with an EV. Climate control being one of them.

My stops in a 3, Y and S are typically 20 minutes. about enough time to walk to the bathroom, then grab a fresh coffee, walk back the car and leave.

You can guess pretty easily but as you say lots of variable with an EV. Climate control being one of them.

My stops in a 3, Y and S are typically 20 minutes. about enough time to walk to the bathroom, then grab a fresh coffee, walk back the car and leave.
That’s why such “tests” are virtually irrelevant. In many ways the mikes per hour metric is better.

Imagine if you did like I did, found a 250kW charger, and only got 83kW from it?!?

Outstanding post. The Scientific Method speaks to controls, which are hardly in place here.
But the Taycan is drop dead gorgeous, so there's that. Here's one of the 1st we saw, walking in downtown Palo Alto.
porsche taycan Palo Alto.jpg

Back