Out for a ride - held up by a train

20240309_075943~2.jpg

It was -18°C this morning - pretty much winter's last hurrah. Got held up maybe 10 minutes by this train. It was long enough to have a locomotive in the middle. I was OK while cycling, but definitely cooled off waiting for the train to pass.

Out for a ride - held up by a train​

I hate when that happens. I had it happen once when there was a train stopped for like 45 minutes because a truck stalled on the RR tracks on another part of town. It was like a million degrees outside and there was a bus there and they let me sit in the bus for the A/C.

I rode to work yesterday (24 miles round trip) in the freeze/thaw crap that is Calgary springtime. I rode the Cube Reaction as it has the studded Schwalbe tires on it, but most of the time was on bare pavement. Had to drive today but will ride the Rocky Fusion tomorrow without studded tires and see how it goes.

I rode to work yesterday (24 miles round trip) in the freeze/thaw crap that is Calgary springtime. I rode the Cube Reaction as it has the studded Schwalbe tires on it, but most of the time was on bare pavement. Had to drive today but will ride the Rocky Fusion tomorrow without studded tires and see how it goes.
My primary 3-season bike is a 2002 Rocky Mountain Fusion. It's been a good bike, but I suppose is a bit like Grandpa's axe at this point, with many tires, several new wheels, many sets of rear cassettes, a new fork (courtesy of @NYEngineer ) a new bottom bracket, many new shifter cables, etc.

IMG_7906 - Copy.JPG

My primary 3-season bike is a 2002 Rocky Mountain Fusion. It's been a good bike, but I suppose is a bit like Grandpa's axe at this point, with many tires, several new wheels, many sets of rear cassettes, a new fork (courtesy of @NYEngineer ) a new bottom bracket, many new shifter cables, etc.
Nothing like a good old Franken-bike. 10-15 years ago I resurrected an old Trek 330 and the only original remaining parts are the frame and brakes. Built a new set of wheels, converted from 12-speed to single speed with kick-back 2 speed hub, mustache bars, etc. It's now a city commuter bike. And in that application, these days it seems I'm the only person riding without an electric motor.

My first bike-store bike was a 1984 Norco Bigfoot 15-speed mountain bike. (40 years ago next month - yikes!) It was pretty low-end for a bike-store bike, with horrible Chang Star cantilever brakes, but I put many miles on it until the rear derailleur got sucked into the rear wheel's spokes, bending the frame where the derailleur was mounted. (Steel frame, so no sacrificial derailleur hanger.) This was on the way to work c. late 2002, so I'd gotten 19 years out of it. I had just bought the Rocky Mountain a few weeks before, and so parked the old Bigfoot. It hung in the garage until around 2008 when Jr was cycling down to school year-round - he straightened the frame, and converted the Bigfoot to a single-speed fixi winter bike. He rode it for several years until the frame finally broke.

And, tempus fugit, I've now been riding the Rocky for almost 22 years. :oops:

Regarding riding without a motorized bike, we were riding in Colorado last May, and stopped for a water break at a confusing signboard. Some fit young people with high-end road bikes stopped and we asked for directions. The one fellow (no doubt noticing my advanced years) commented that it was a challenging ride, but at least our rental bikes were electric.

Nope - front-hub generators for lights, and internally geared rear hubs. No electric assist.

... Regarding riding without a motorized bike, we were riding in Colorado last May, and stopped for a water break at a confusing signboard. Some fit young people with high-end road bikes stopped and we asked for directions. The one fellow (no doubt noticing my advanced years) commented that it was a challenging ride, but at least our rental bikes were electric.

Nope - front-hub generators for lights, and internally geared rear hubs. No electric assist.
Good on you - and shame on them!

Back