Our VW dealer finally has a 2022 Jetta in stock

You know what else grinds my gears? Grey and/or tan pillars and headliners.

They should all be black as standard.
That's why I got a HiHy Platinum in the glazed caramel.... not gray or beige A-pillar and headliner. I wouldn't have minded dark burgundy A-pillars and headliner, like what I had in my 88 Camry.

2020-Toyota-Highlander-Platinum-Hybrid-AWD-29.jpg

But, on the Jetta, I think getting the GLI gives you the blacked out interior

2022-vw-jetta-gli-011.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want a VAG with a sun roof or pan roof. No way too many issues with leaking and noises. New Jetta looks well for the price I think.

You know what else grinds my gears? Grey and/or tan pillars and headliners.

They should all be black as standard.
I see you subscribe to the "the interior of the car must be a literal cave" theory. I actually really dislike black interiors, especially ALL black interiors. They just feel oppressive, dark and dreary. Tan/light interiors are much more inviting and airy feeling. Black interiors aren't "classy", they're just depressing. The Taos at least has lighter gray accents and tan headliner/pillars. Would have totally gone for a fully light colored interior if it was available in the exterior colors I wanted.

I see you subscribe to the "the interior of the car must be a literal cave" theory. I actually really dislike black interiors, especially ALL black interiors. They just feel oppressive, dark and dreary. Tan/light interiors are much more inviting and airy feeling.
I'm good with tan/grey/blue/red upholstery.

But the headliner should be black. Just looks better.

VW is finally starting to release the 2022 model Jettas. I've been periodically checking our local dealer and they have one SE in stock....for $27,000!!!! Crazy times. When we were in the market the SE (mid level) was going for $24K. Imagine paying $27K for a mid trim Jetta. Love them, good cars, but $27K is hard to stomach.
gregk24 - You made me curious, I just checked, my VW dealer has a Blue S and is selling it at MSRP.
They also have a grey GTI Autobahn and are selling it for 33,655 USD also MSRP.

Different strokes as they say. I think black headliners makes a car feel like a claustrophobic closet.
Lots of opinions on headliners of all things! Personally I prefer grey, as black shoes every stain. My mother in law had a 2015 Jetta Sport with a black headliner and the area above the drivers head was very dirty looking, and she is a very clean individual.

I do like the looks of their cars.

I wouldn’t mind a base with a manual transmission. I thought I read an article where they were around $22-25k. Something like 33 mpg?

When we went to Florida, our rental was a 2021 Passat. Minus the not so stiff suspension, it handled just like my 220k mile A4. It was a nice car.

I do like the looks of their cars.

I wouldn’t mind a base with a manual transmission. I thought I read an article where they were around $22-25k. Something like 33 mpg?

When we went to Florida, our rental was a 2021 Passat. Minus the not so stiff suspension, it handled just like my 220k mile A4. It was a nice car.
My '19 had a really bad wheelhop/axle tramp issue in wet weather. Hard to control with the stick as you had to get the turbo spooling to get moving when pulling out into traffic, and when it spooled you got a big hit of torque. This is likely a front suspension and transaxle bushing durometer issue.
I dont know if they corrected it with the newer models or if there is aftermarket support. Add winter to the mix and it could get ugly.
The car is generally comfortable with good seats an ergonomics and the base stereo listenable and powerful though a little dry sounding.
Visibility is poor to the side and the rear, front cowl is too high - bunker like. Side rear view mirror area is too small.
Then you have the too soft suspension. Buick roadmaster soft. This is the only car that I ever bottom out all 4 corners simultaneously on the interstate heading into Boston on my way down to Plymouth. I think KBB pointed this out in the "More Corolla than the Corolla" reveiw. (I find the reviewer Micah to be uncontrollably smarmy unfunny and irritating).
Regardless, the base Jetta is still a top choice in the segment if the issue mentioned are not deal breakers.

My '19 had a really bad wheelhop/axle tramp issue in wet weather. Hard to control with the stick as you had to get the turbo spooling to get moving when pulling out into traffic, and when it spooled you got a big hit of torque. This is likely a front suspension and transaxle bushing durometer issue.
I dont know if they corrected it with the newer models or if there is aftermarket support. Add winter to the mix and it could get ugly.
The car is generally comfortable with good seats an ergonomics and the base stereo listenable and powerful though a little dry sounding.
Visibility is poor to the side and the rear, front cowl is too high - bunker like. Side rear view mirror area is too small.
Then you have the too soft suspension. Buick roadmaster soft. This is the only car that I ever bottom out all 4 corners simultaneously on the interstate heading into Boston on my way down to Plymouth. I think KBB pointed this out in the "More Corolla than the Corolla" reveiw. (I find the reviewer Micah to be uncontrollably smarmy unfunny and irritating).
Regardless, the base Jetta is still a top choice in the segment if the issue mentioned are not deal breakers.

That’s just a front-wheel drive problem; not specific to VW.

That’s just a front-wheel drive problem; not specific to VW.
True to some extent. It is very pronounced on the VW - like it is breaking something. I am sure modern fluid transaxle mounts add to the problem. My Fiats or Yugo never did this.
but they had the FWD geometry and handling down - with positive camber up front (!) and a well placed scrub radius.

I have to agree with all counts on this. Rear visibility is godawful on the latest gen Jetta, the rear overhang is massive, the rearview mirrors are tiny and the suspension is softer than charmin ultra-soft in water. Considering the incredible suspension tuning on the Golf and the above-average tuning on the Taos I don't understand how they screwed it up so bad on the Jetta. And regarding axlehop, the engine mounts on the Jetta are absurdly soft as well, you can rock the engine pretty much to the limits of the mounts just by pushing on the front bumper without too much effort.

True to some extent. It is very pronounced on the VW - like it is breaking something. I am sure modern fluid transaxle mounts add to the problem. My Fiats or Yugo never did this.
but they had the FWD geometry and handling down - with positive camber up front (!) and a well placed scrub radius.
Ouch.

I’d definitely test drive that’s for sure. Lol.

Back