Our cat Jack died yesterday

The end of life, even for a cat or dog, is no bargain for us. Maybe there should be a "Rainbow Bridge" for cats as there is for dogs.
There is a "Rainbow Bridge" for all of us, and there is no denying it. It's a comforting analogy for dying, the result of which is found in the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

So sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing memories about Jack. I've been in your situation and I cried like a baby. We don't know how good something is until we lose it.

We have an amazing connection with the life on our beautiful planet.
Right on. All life is one. Charles Darwin showed us the what ,and Watson and Crick gave us the how when they identified the double helix in 1952.

Hello BITOG crew.

I have seen other posts like this and so am doing one. There is healing in the telling, even if anonymous. I never thought I would feel this way about a pet.

Our cat Jack died yesterday. He was 15+ years old. My wife had him since he was born and brought him into our marriage.

The most correct diagnosis was cancer even though we didn't have a full biopsy done. He had been slowly losing weight over the past two years but then this last month he lost a lot of weight and stopped eating. Regular vet visits and tests had no conclusive evidence of anything. So the vet concluded that the weight loss was cancer which wasn't detectable without a harsh biopsy. Well, Jack was old enough and loved enough not to have to go through that. He was diminishing fast and was likely in more and more pain.

A few days ago, knowing we were approaching the end, we started giving him all the freedom he could muster, all the food he could eat if he wanted, and all the lap time he wanted no matter what. He spent most of his time sleeping.

All the kids (now mostly adults) came to visit. They all knew him since he was young and they were kids.

We had him euthanized in-home yesterday. It was peaceful, yet heart-wrenching. That morning we put his favorite heater out and turned it on for him. He lulled and snoozed the whole morning by that heater, soaking in the warmth. That is the attached picture. That is where he was when the vet arrived.

He is buried under to the arbor vitae tree in the yard that he loved to snooze under on clear days. This became his favorite spot and his final rest. I used to have to drag him into the house from that spot because he would not come when called, and he usually came when called. All of his toys are with him, too.

And here is the personal stuff: In the beginning and often throughout his life in my home, I was annoyed with him and basically wanted him to be gone. I looked forward to the day he was gone. I glorified the day I would be free from pets. Today, the day after he died, I am looking back and wishing he were still here. I am floored by how empty it feels in the house. He added that much substance to our lives. He was so much more loving and personable than I gave him credit for and basically took for granted. Last year I worked from home all year and he had access to me full time and my heart softened. A love/hate relationship eroded into just a love relationship. He visited me at "work" every day and sat with me for hours. He would sit in my lap while I coded or gamed or watched TV. He would greet us at the door when we came home. I could tell he really liked having me around. And I think he knew that I felt the same about him.

He was my pal.

Thanks for letting me tell this. My wife has a similar story.

cvlw

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I've owned cats for decades and have grieved deeply over losing them. It's not an easy thing to part with a cat you loved.
Your cat was very handsome and 15 is older than any cat I've had to date.
Thank you for sharing the story of your fine cat. I hope it helped you deal with the grieving process.
I think it's good that you were there in his final moments. I believe that's important.

I've been there when a few of my cat were PTS and it's a hard pill to swallow.
I buried Luke just outside of my bedroom window.
I'll tell ya, I wish I had a human friend as good as any one of my cat friends.
I have 2 house cats and an outdoor cat.

Mar10 2022 (6)a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I've owned cats for decades and have grieved deeply over losing them. It's not an easy thing to part with a cat you loved.
Your cat was very handsome and 15 is older than any cat I've had to date.
Thank you for sharing the story of your fine cat. I hope it helped you deal with the grieving process.
I think it's good that you were there in his final moments. I believe that's important.

I've been there when a few of my cat were PTS and it's a hard pill to swallow.
I buried Luke just outside of my bedroom window.
I'll tell ya, I wish I had a human friend as good as any one of my cat friends.
I have 2 house cats and an outdoor cat.

View attachment 98656

Handsome Tiger . :(

Man do I hear you on that, and sorry for your loss.
The level of pain we feel for our pets when they pass is intense!
I have 4 dogs and 2 are in guarded condition these days’. One I took in as a hospice case more than 5 years ago, and somehow she is still hanging in. Another one is just getting old and she’s had major surgery, but she’s never fully recover. All I can do is give them a lot of TLC and make life comfortable. I never planned on having 4 dogs, it just kind of worked out that way. Even so, I will likely continue giving good life to dogs in need from the shelter. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Back