Ouch! Toyota recalling 1.8M vehicles for faulty fuel pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny....Honda issues a recall and everybody calls them junk. Toyota issues are recall and they get praise.....

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by wdn
Why is that ouch? You should change the title to Thank you Toyota.

Because if it was literally any other manufacturer people would be saying "Yep, see everyone! They're garbage! I TOLD YOU SO!"

Couldn't agree with you more Skippy722. Ford issued a recall for my Fusion due to the steering wheel bolt coming undone after I had already put over 100k on my car and people, not necessarily on bitog, couldn't keep from laughing and poking fun. However, when Toyota issues a recall, they praise them for taking ownership and correcting the issue. Like other manufacturers don't do the same thing most of the time? Any who, I am of the opinion that some suppliers' quality control is lax because everyone is trying to produce more products for less cost and it ultimately reflects in material quality and poor designs. But even with that said, I also think that most cars today are generally of good quality and with proper upkeep and maintenance, will keep running for a long time. But what do I know? I drive Fords.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas
Good on them for acknowledging the issue and dealing with it, I have a lot of respect for Toyotas honesty cmopared to some of the other brands we have seen that like to ignore problems or pretend they dont exist. Good work Toyota!

Toyota UK had takata airbags on back-order for upto 8 months for some models - lets hope they can source replacement fuel pumps more quickly! For those that need their vehicle and cannot affod to brake down with a faulty fuel pump that cannot be replaced due to availability, the Bosch 044 pump is the correct choice for a durable, dependable replacement that is widely available at a reasonable price. Aeromotive make nice items too but can be a bit 'spendy', maybe OTT for a traffic/commuter car.

This. It's better to operate the way that Toyota does instead of waiting until the government forces you to do something. But hey, sometimes the big 3 just like to murder their customers, I guess.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Good on them for acknowledging the issue and dealing with it, I have a lot of respect for Toyotas honesty cmopared to some of the other brands we have seen that like to ignore problems or pretend they dont exist. Good work Toyota!

Toyota UK had takata airbags on back-order for upto 8 months for some models - lets hope they can source replacement fuel pumps more quickly! For those that need their vehicle and cannot affod to brake down with a faulty fuel pump that cannot be replaced due to availability, the Bosch 044 pump is the correct choice for a durable, dependable replacement that is widely available at a reasonable price. Aeromotive make nice items too but can be a bit 'spendy', maybe OTT for a traffic/commuter car.

This. It's better to operate the way that Toyota does instead of waiting until the government forces you to do something. But hey, sometimes the big 3 just like to murder their customers, I guess.

I thought Toyota got forced into the issue on frame rust?

Originally Posted by supton

There was a class action lawsuit over the frame issue, which resulted in the recall.

Close enough--they had to be prodded into taking action. No difference.

Those lousy Toyotas...
My old 1993 Pickup 4wd 22RE has well over 350K miles and is still in service in the Seattle Tacoma area. Never seen the inside of a garage.
My 2001 Tundra has only 199K and is perfect.
The Lexus GS350 F Sport and RX450h are as good as it gets.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by supton

There was a class action lawsuit over the frame issue, which resulted in the recall.

Incorrect. There never was a government forced recall. And Toyota issued a "safety recall" in 2009, well before the class action lawsuit in 2015.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Funny....Honda issues a recall and everybody calls them junk. Toyota issues are recall and they get praise.....

Completely true. The Toyota fans are rabid in their praise of them. Most of us would be forced to admit though that Toyota is a bit more proactive about their screw ups. But to imply diety-like status is a bit excessive.

Every mfgr screws up, every one. Some handle it better than others. I have had dealerships who, regardless of brand, simply would not allow clients to feel poorly about their work and it showed. But they were far from the rule, more the exception.

Incorrect. There never was a government forced recall. And Toyota issued a "safety recall" in 2009, well before the class action lawsuit in 2015.

I never said the government forced the recall, I said there was a class action lawsuit, which there was.

Do you have the text of the 2009 Safety Recall? The CAL was launched in 2014 and for the 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2008 Tundra and the 2005-2008 Sequoia.

The original frame Service Campaign, covering a limited number of vehicles, was launched in 2014, the same year as the Class Action Lawsuit, and was later updated in April of 2015:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10111381-9999.pdf

Toyota then settled the Class Action Lawsuit in 2017:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10154786-9999.pdf

Originally Posted by Toyota
Dealer Package: Modified warranty claim submission flowchart. See Appendix A. In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Frame Corrosion on certain 2005 - 2010 model year Tacoma vehicles. On May 21, 2017, a settlement of claims in a class action lawsuit involving 2005 - 2010 Toyota Tacoma vehicles regarding frame corrosion was approved. This finally approved class action settlement includes inspection of the customer's frame, and if the frames meet or exceed the Rust Perforation Standard based on the Court-ordered inspection criteria, the frame will be replaced at no cost to the customer. This settlement will also include CRC (Corrosion Resistant Compound) application.

Originally Posted by JohnG
I will NEVER buy Toyota JUNK ever again!

Hmmm ...

I'll never buy Toyota ~ but surely not junk

edyvw has the best description

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by wdn
Why is that ouch? You should change the title to Thank you Toyota.

Because if it was literally any other manufacturer people would be saying "Yep, see everyone! They're garbage! I TOLD YOU SO!"

A recall hath issued forth from thy Almighty Toyota, and the flock duly falls to knee and renders Faithful Adoration to their Holy Manufacturer.

crackmeup2.gif

NHTSA had to essentially beg Toyota to recall their floor mats/sticking throttles
coffee2.gif

I never said the government forced the recall, I said there was a class action lawsuit, which there was.

Do you have the text of the 2009 Safety Recall? The CAL was launched in 2014 and for the 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2008 Tundra and the 2005-2008 Sequoia.

The original frame Service Campaign, covering a limited number of vehicles, was launched in 2014, the same year as the Class Action Lawsuit, and was later updated in April of 2015:

Dealer Package: Modified warranty claim submission flowchart. See Appendix A. In our continuing efforts to ensure the best in customer satisfaction, Toyota is announcing a Warranty Enhancement Program to extend the warranty coverage for Frame Corrosion on certain 2005 - 2010 model year Tacoma vehicles. On May 21, 2017, a settlement of claims in a class action lawsuit involving 2005 - 2010 Toyota Tacoma vehicles regarding frame corrosion was approved. This finally approved class action settlement includes inspection of the customer's frame, and if the frames meet or exceed the Rust Perforation Standard based on the Court-ordered inspection criteria, the frame will be replaced at no cost to the customer. This settlement will also include CRC (Corrosion Resistant Compound) application.

2009. Not 2014.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/...pickups-for-frame-corrosion-problem.html

2009. Not 2014.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/...pickups-for-frame-corrosion-problem.html

That's not the frame recall, that's the rear crossmember recall for the previous body style Tundra, 2000-2003, which wasn't in the CAL, the years of which you can see in my post above.

The article states:
Toyota and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have announced that Toyota will recall approximately 110,000 Tundra pickup trucks from the 2000 to 2003 model years in 20 cold-weather states and the District of Columbia to fix a frame rust and corrosion problem that could cause the spare tire to fall away from the truck.

It then states:
Beginning in Dec. 2009 through early 2010, owners of the involved vehicles will receive a Safety Recall notification via first class mail asking them to take their vehicles to a Toyota dealer for an initial inspection of the rear cross member. During this inspection, the rear cross-member including the surrounding components such as the brake line at the proportioning valve (which is mounted on the cross-member assembly) will also be inspected. Based upon the inspection, Toyota will do one of the following at no charge:

If there is no significant corrosion of the rear cross-member assembly or the rear brake line at the proportioning valve, owners will be notified of that fact and requested to subsequently bring their vehicle back to the dealership so that a corrosion-resistant compound can be applied to the rear cross-member. Toyota will notify the owner when the corrosion-resistant compound is available.

or

If significant corrosion is detected such that the rear cross-member can no longer safely support the spare tire and replacement components are available, the cross- member assembly will be replaced.

So no, the frame replacement campaign didn't start in 2009, it was 2014 from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back