Oreillys auto parts - EXPENSIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just built a new Oreillys auto parts in my town. Been open for a month or two now. Always DEAD, with no cars in the parking lot ever. Like one car in the lot max.

Stopped in there today to look around and noticed some pretty expensive pricing. Seems to be more than Autozone and Advance Auto...

Does this place have any redeeming qualities? Any online coupon codes to make up for it?

It was clean and well stocked which you would expect from a brand new store. I did like the supply of Wix and MicroGard filters.

I did compare the Wix to MicroGard oil filter for my Pacifica and did notice that they are they exact same oil filter inside, same part number stamped on them and everything. The Microgard being $2.80 cheaper than the Wix for the same exact filter.

Mine has a guy who's actually good at parts. Like dumb stuff like brake master cylinder adapters. Kinda like who worked at NAPA 20 years ago.

They built a new one in the next town over from me about 2 months ago, right down the street from an Autozone. Their batteries are about on par with Autozone price wise, but everything else is sky high.

The two nearest NAPA stores are closed on Saturday afternoons and Sunday. The nearest Bumper-to-Bumper store is also closed on Saturday afternoons and Sunday. Their inventory is pretty small anyway.
So that leaves Autozone or O'Reillys if I need something on a weekend. Last time I tried to get a warranty on an Autozone tool, the counter guy wouldn't give me a refund on a defective tool until the store manager yanked on his leash, so that pretty much leaves me with an O'Reilly store.
They have a huge turnaround on their employees, but I usually check on their website and call before I go in there, as it's a good 25 miles away from me. The store manager there races his car at the local track, so we jaw a little bit about that. Other than that, most of my parts are ordered from RockAuto. That's really the only redeeming value of my local O'Reilly store.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
They just built a new Oreillys auto parts in my town. Been open for a month or two now. Always DEAD, with no cars in the parking lot ever. Like one car in the lot max.

Stopped in there today to look around and noticed some pretty expensive pricing. Seems to be more than Autozone and Advance Auto...

Does this place have any redeeming qualities? Any online coupon codes to make up for it?

It was clean and well stocked which you would expect from a brand new store. I did like the supply of Wix and MicroGard filters.

I did compare the Wix to MicroGard oil filter for my Pacifica and did notice that they are they exact same oil filter inside, same part number stamped on them and everything. The Microgard being $2.80 cheaper than the Wix for the same exact filter.

Much like we define different Frams ...ie.... EG / TG ....etc, which Wix model are you comparing the Microgard to?

yes I've noticed that Oreilly has really jacked up their prices within the last year or two.. I've now gone to Advance Auto or NAPA. Autozone leaves a lot to be desired with many of their items. Yup that's my experience and opinion.

but back to Oreilly, you're right, it used to be that they would be packed, even on a weekend. Not anymore. I think people have realized their prices are ridiculous.

One other thing that stopped me from going there was the age of their parts! Checked some oil there, and the date code was from 2012! NO joking! Wow..

O'Really's price on their stock isn't out of sight because of their volume just sayin. I think its been over two years since I bought any thing there the prices are not competitive.

I used to get AC Delco classic PF 46 at OR for $3.99, then they went to $4.29, 4.99, then $5.99. That's why I went with with Fram Ultra for a few dollars more. Autozone is just as bad on filters and oil. 5 qt jugs of Chevron supreme are like $25 at OR and Fred Meyer sells them for $15 and on sale for $10. Walmart or Freds for oil and filters from Walmart now, online for most other things. I got a Bosch O2 sensor from Amazon for $36 or so AZ and OR was like $70. I notice they are not so crowded anymore. Too bad.

OReillys seems expensive to me. When we buy from them at work they charge us the same as what someone off the street pays and then they have some arbitrary list price to pretend we get a discount. Like if we are in a pinch and need to get Mobil 1 in hurry they charge us 9.49/qt and say list should be somewhere around $19/qt.

Ya their oil is real high. We are a commercial account and their commercial prices are on par and often lower than the other stores in town. I never buy oil from them though.

Pep boys is the one that really tries to beat the other places on commercial prices.

You are right bubbatime. It is a bit expensive there at OR.

Remember the Microgard is not the same filter media as a regular Wix filter. It's the same as a Napa Silver filter. Regular Wix= Napa Gold.

We got a new O’Reilly a couple years ago. Now we have that, Autozone and AAP all within a quarter mile stretch. And I live in a small town.

I frequent AAP the most. I hate Autozone, rarely go there. O’Reilly is okay I guess. I like that they have WIX filters. I agree they’re kind of expensive. They don’t seem to do much business here.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Much like we define different Frams ...ie.... EG / TG ....etc, which Wix model are you comparing the Microgard to?

MicroGard MGL10010 vs WIX WL10010. The filters are the exact same filter. Same part numbers embossed on them, same media, same "Made in South Korea" stamp. I looked at a Fram equivalent (EG or TG?) a month ago and I'm almost certain that the Fram is the same filter as well.

This is a rather new cartridge filter and there doesn't seem to be a lot of manufactures making them yet, so makes sense that they would buy them and repackage them in their own packaging for the time being.

I've been in ONE OR in my life when visiting in North Carolina. We don't have 'em in NJ.

AAP seems higher priced than AZ but I've seen good parts and service from an AAP in Connecticut.

Also, Pep Boys (a near worthless store IMO) did order me good brake parts with a reasonable wait time a while back.

I guess I'm saying it's a game without rules. If they'll get you good parts, any one of them is good.

Ha, near me is a new AZ and it's empty too. I believe banks acquire land then a cheap building is constructed. Then, just like video stores in days of old, if the business sputters and fails, the cracker box can be reutilized.

In my nearest small town there is an Advance,Autozone, NAPA, and Oreilly's all within about 1000 yards of each other.. there is no way that small down needs that many parts. In order to pay rent/utlities/wages/delivery vehicles etc etc etc...they have to mark up the parts..thats the only income they have.

I only stray from NAPA when i really really need something and they have to order it.

I only use NAPA when i dont have time to order it on Ebay or Amazon.

The price savings is SIGNIFICANT when buying online...and that is with FREE shipping.

My newest local O'Reillys is always dead, the employees pounce on me when i walk thru the door and you can tell they are bored out of their minds. They have 3 delivery cars out front and i have never seen them delivering.. no way they are coming close to breaking even.

Ahh cartridge...

The spin on filters are different though. And that is true for the Microgard 57356 vs Wix 57356.

When I moved down south I was excited to have a new chain of parts store I have never been to.

That was O'reilley.

I ended up never buying anything from them just too darn expensive.

To put it in perspective. On my Sonata, I paid about $78 for two new rotors, and a set of front brake pads from the internet.

It would have been about $90 to turn my old rotors and buy a set of front pads from them.

I chose all new parts for cheaper

If it's the one on Military Train in Lake Worth...I haven't been in yet. It seemed to be under construction FOREVER. Guess I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back