Oreillys auto parts - EXPENSIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back,O'Reillys in one of their investor call-in sessions basically announced that low GP sales were over with,and that they were going to be doing some things to keep online "price shoppers" from sitting down and finding the cheapest price for every item.When this all was stated,WIX filter pricing went from $6.99 to $8.99 for the most popular numbers,and certain online item searches come up "No pricing for this store".I get a feeling the walk in customer is going to be more than making up for the commercial discounts they're handing out (Walker exhaust commercial pricing is a giveaway literally).The chain's signature color is green (obviously for the Irish heritage),but subliminially also refers to money....

so, i might be biased, but the prices at o'reilly seem on par with other chains from what i can tell. you can almost always get a better deal online. hey, when it comes to oil walmart's regular price is better than employee prices at the o. keep in mind for most parts oreilly/napa/autozone/advance it's all the same junk with a different sticker on the box. but you will find most o'stores are cleaner and nicer looking than napa and carquest (advance owned, but we don't have advance around here)... remember that napa is franchised while all o'stores are corporate owned. around here napa is usually a few bucks more (in terms of retail prices)...

as far as how good the people working there are, that is super random and varies from a store to store basis, and who you talk to you within the same store. i have some useless coworkers but i like to think i'm not terrible at my job.

in terms of selling oil to commercial accounts, we don't much much money on oil. at our store we sell mobil1 at 5.99/qt to some of our good commercial customers. most of them pay retail at 9.xx/qt. and yes pricing varies based on region/district, which is why we don't pricematch other o'stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
OReillys seems expensive to me. When we buy from them at work they charge us the same as what someone off the street pays and then they have some arbitrary list price to pretend we get a discount. Like if we are in a pinch and need to get Mobil 1 in hurry they charge us 9.49/qt and say list should be somewhere around $19/qt.

Same story with AZ. But AZ does have pretty good brake specials if you really want to use their house-brand of brake parts.

I just looked up my air filter at O'reilllies (never spell it right)

So I can pay 11 dollars for a paper element air filter, or 37 dollars for Cellulose! Both from Wix!
shocked.gif
I can get the cellulose one at NAPA "GOLD" for 25 bucks!!!!

THEY LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER, that is crazy!

Last edited:
I'll have to pay more attention. I did buy a reman'ed alternator for my Jeep at AZ that was substantially cheaper than everyone else. I know it goes against everything I stand for, but i didn't want to put the project off.

Usually the main 3 are $49.99 and in stock with NAPA being $64.99 and a "call for availability." Lol.

ORAP always seemed to have a reputation for being more expensive, and that proved to be true after they bought CSK and rebranded the stores.

Everything except an AAP is convenient for me, so it's a case-by-case thing.

But for non-specialty stuff, I usually end up at Pep Boys, after ordering online with one of the frequent 20% promos, and paying in store. I don't actually buy a lot there, but they've sent flat $10 discounts, no min, a couple times through the loyalty program, which has been an unexpected bonus. Now that Carl Icahn owns the joint, we'll see if things change.

For the stuff they do carry, like Invisible Glass, Home Despot is 40% cheaper than any auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
In my nearest small town there is an Advance,Autozone, NAPA, and Oreilly's all within about 1000 yards of each other.. there is no way that small down needs that many parts. In order to pay rent/utlities/wages/delivery vehicles etc etc etc...they have to mark up the parts..thats the only income they have.

I only stray from NAPA when i really really need something and they have to order it.

I only use NAPA when i dont have time to order it on Ebay or Amazon.

The price savings is SIGNIFICANT when buying online...and that is with FREE shipping.

My newest local O'Reillys is always dead, the employees pounce on me when i walk thru the door and you can tell they are bored out of their minds. They have 3 delivery cars out front and i have never seen them delivering.. no way they are coming close to breaking even.

ours is hopping busy. Always a wait in line and the commercial dept is constantly swamped with calls. They have 5 trucks out at all times every day.

Last edited:
BTW, o'reilly is building two new stores in two towns near me! We are SMALL markets. Not sure what they are thinking, the last time there was three is when AutoZone moved in, then the indie Carquest folded.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
so, i might be biased, but the prices at o'reilly seem on par with other chains from what i can tell. you can almost always get a better deal online.

I agree. For the most part I buy my parts online, but when the daughter comes home and states her car is making a strange whining noise and there is a funny smell coming from under the hood (alternator) Oreilly's was the only one that had it in stock and their price was about the same as Autozone and Napa.

I should clarify - Autozone did have a "rebuilt" alternator (for a 2005 Camry) but I prefer to buy a new one. I've had to replace too many rebuilt ones in a short time over the decades. Not worth the savings.

For some reason, O'Reilly seems to be totally allergic to the tri-state area.

When you look at the map of their store, there is a big hole around NJ, NY, and PA! There are a couple stores way upstate in NY, and the western end of PA, but that's it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
When I moved down south I was excited to have a new chain of parts store I have never been to.

That was O'reilley.

I ended up never buying anything from them just too darn expensive.

To put it in perspective. On my Sonata, I paid about $78 for two new rotors, and a set of front brake pads from the internet.

It would have been about $90 to turn my old rotors and buy a set of front pads from them.

I chose all new parts for cheaper

Interesting. It’s $10 each to turn rotors at our Oreilly.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: JustinH
When I moved down south I was excited to have a new chain of parts store I have never been to.

That was O'reilley.

I ended up never buying anything from them just too darn expensive.

To put it in perspective. On my Sonata, I paid about $78 for two new rotors, and a set of front brake pads from the internet.

It would have been about $90 to turn my old rotors and buy a set of front pads from them.

I chose all new parts for cheaper

That is very inexpensive. Pep Boys charges $14.99/rotor here, and they are already the cheapest ones. They just turned a pair of rotors for me last weekend. One rotor came out perfect at .0015”, but the other one had way too much runout - .004”. Kind of a waste of time.

I don't even bother with brick and mortar parts stores anymore. The parts are typically junk and way too expensive.

99% of the time I'll just get OEM parts from Amazon and call it good. Once and a while I'll get non OEM brake hardware or suspension parts etc, but it's always cheaper online than going to a parts store. Cheap overnight shipping if I need it in a hurry too. Oil and filters I get from Amazon too, same price as Wally-world and I don't have to step in that circus.

Around here resurfacing rotors is not a service O'Reilly provides, in fact I don't think anybody does it...

Around here resurfacing rotors is not a service O'Reilly provides, in fact I don't think anybody does it...

Maybe a California thing? *Nevermind judging by the Critics post.

Oreilly is the only chain store that does it, but I am sure other local shops do as well.

Last edited:
Went online to look up a gasket for my truck's 7.625 rear end. Oreilly was cheaper than AZ.

~$2 difference on a part that's less than $8 is substantial IMO.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For some reason, O'Reilly seems to be totally allergic to the tri-state area.

When you look at the map of their store, there is a big hole around NJ, NY, and PA! There are a couple stores way upstate in NY, and the western end of PA, but that's it.

They grow through acquisitions. They were absent up here until they bought the parts half of VIP Tires & Parts. I'm sure they would *really like* to get in your town-- any regional chains look like a good fit?

Not many shops do it anymore, rotors are usually Chinese junk and not worth resurfacing anyway. Cheaper just to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back