OReilly Auto any good???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
In southern Michigan, a regional auto parts chain called Murrays was bought by O'Reilly's.

How does O'Reilly's compare to the other big box type auto parts stores such as Auto Zone and Advance Auto? Vs. NAPA and CarQuest?

The local Autozone has absolutely no paper parts catalogs. It is all done by computer and they have nothing on their computer for anything over a one ton truck. If you want something for like an F500 Ford truck, you are out of luck. The turnaround behind the counter is exceptionally high. It seems like there is a complete new set of guys everytime I'm in there. Decent parts inventory. I've used their lifetime warranty on some parts and they look it up on their computer. No receipt is needed.

The local O'reilly store is stock by mostly kids under 20. Nothing wrong with that, but when you ask for parts for something like an Aerostar, they ask you who makes that vehicle. They do have some paper catalogs when needed, but they have to do a bunch of cross-referencing to get the part needed. I guess that's okay if you are not in a hurry. About a year ago, I took a core back that I had in my possession for about 5 years. It took at least 30 minutes for the manager to give me my money back because it was so old, even though the part was still in the system. I guess that was my fault, so I won't complain on that one. (It would have been nice if he'd just give me my money and then fight with the computer after I left, though) Receipt is needed for any warranty work. The last part I got from them was a rear wheel cylinder for a '71 Cougar. I wanted a kit, but they didn't have a kit, just the complete wheel cylinder. It was made in Italy and the bleeder screw was metric. It works fine, but you know their pencil-pushers are getting the cheapest way out on that item.

In my area, the best parts are from NAPA. Usually higher priced, but best quality.

In my area, the Autozones are generally top notch. And seem to be getting better. I've never had any trouble with their parts, at least compared to the price.

We have a Murrays that turned into O'Reillys, and while I rarely go there for parts, I did go there to have a couple of rotors turned. $15 a pop, but they did a beautiful job.

The Pep Boys was always a little shadier- more ricer stuff and seemed to devote more floor space to selling cheap chinese generators and scooters. But they are getting better lately too.

But Napa does have a better selection. It's the only place I can find brake line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back