OReilly Auto any good???

Status
Not open for further replies.
The O'Reilly near me has interesting people. On weekdays it is staffed by older gentlemen, who are very helpful and pleasant. On weekends it is staffed by young studs, some of whom are not helpful, and not very pleasant.
wink.gif

I bought a rebuilt (in China) starter for my i30 there last summer. They were the only local store that stocked the 11-tooth version like the OEM unit that came out of my car. They had both 10 and 11-tooth versions. The one I needed just had to cost more.
frown.gif

In Oct 02 I put on a new set of Monroe shocks on the front of my Merc. I have noticed a little bounce lately so OR took back my old shocks without question and now my ride has been restored. Free of charge, except for my labor.
Did the work this morning.

Last edited:
I have read O'rielly sells Airtex fuel pumps only which are junk.A guy did check this out of one O'rielly parts stores said they had no returns on their fuel pumps which is full of [censored].

Next time, purchase on credit card. When they refuse, tell them they breached the implied warranty (30 day satisfaction guarantee), and you are now going to seek a charge-back. Instant win for you, minus fifty bucks (typically, sometimes nothing if the card provides additional warranty on purchases).

The threat of a chargeback will get any lazy manager's arse in gear, that I've seen and can promise!

I've had excellent luck with S.E. Michigan O'Reilly stores. Our local (Rochester Hills) store has an excellent commercial account manager who can find just about anything, as long as it was built in the last 50-60 years. Pricing is very good and I don't have to deal with 19 year old automotive geniuses at AutoZone.

O'Reillys recently allowed me to buy Maxlife 20w-50 at the ad price of $2.79. That grade is usually not included in ad specials. But I noticed there was no grades listed in the ad, but the register rang it up at $4.99, I told them to put it back on the shelf and half way out the door the counter jockey said he would honor the ad price. You must be willing to walk.
grin2.gif

Murray's/O'Reilly's around here to me is the exact same as AAP. I buy most of my stuff from autozone. Wouldn't mind buying from Napa, but sorry when I need a part closing at 6pm doesn't cut it. Not to mention the general price difference.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
I have read O'rielly sells Airtex fuel pumps only which are junk.A guy did check this out of one O'rielly parts stores said they had no returns on their fuel pumps which is full of [censored].

You've heard or know for a fact? Similar to many places, including even Napa, O'Reilly carries varying quality levels on parts. Yes, the house brand is Airtex on Fuel pumps, but amazingly, two other brands are available for my vehicles including the OEM manufacturer for two of them. They are also available same day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
The O'Reilly near me has interesting people. On weekdays it is staffed by older gentlemen, who are very helpful and pleasant. On weekends it is staffed by young studs, some of whom are not helpful, and not very pleasant.
wink.gif

Would you be happy or pleasant if the old guys got weekends off and you got the days when every moron wants to fix his or her own car?

I reasd this on another message board,Automotive forums and one member MT 500 found this out from one Oreily parts store and was told this,had no return one their fuel pumps which is full of [censored].Airtex pumps are junk and you will replace them left and right

Originally Posted By: tig1
I buy most of my parts from OReilly's. I think for the most part they are better than AZ or AAP. I would have to drive a ways to find a NAPA.
I'm just the opposite; I have a Napa 5 miles from home and an Oreilly's/Murray's 40 miles + from here. But I try to go there when I'm in the area as I like their choices in waxes and the like. Stuff I didn't see at AZ when I worked there 3 years ago.

I`ve always gotten impeccable service from O`Reilly. O`Reilly can get just about anything you need. I`ve always gotten excellent service from Autozone too. Napa is a ripoff. They`re proud of their stuff.

it really doesn't matter where you go, it really boils down to the quality of the counterperson and how much experience/knowledge/COMMON SENSE and the ability to think outside the box, always.

to reduce/eliminate complaints, auto parts retail box stores train their people to stay within the box and use the computer to confirm everything.

it's really their fault. they're doing as they are told.

The O'Reilly nearest me price-matched some caliper pins to the AutoZone next door when the AZ ran out and sent me next door after calling over to confirm the pins were in stock. They're also the only place to buy Wix oil filters off the shelf I've found. Good service at both the local AZ and O'Reilly.

I buy most of my parts from OReilly's. I think for the most part they are better than AZ or AAP. I would have to drive a ways to find a NAPA.

I agree, I have found O'Reilly staff nicer and more knowledgeable, and they have INSISTED on carrying things out for me even if I said they didn't have to (I'm 6 ft 4 in 300 pounds so it's not that I really need it.) Also find their stores cleaner, nicer, at least around Columbus (of course they're all new!)

John

Originally Posted By: John_K

I agree, I have found O'Reilly staff nicer and more knowledgeable, and they have INSISTED on carrying things out for me even if I said they didn't have to (I'm 6 ft 4 in 300 pounds so it's not that I really need it.) Also find their stores cleaner, nicer, at least around Columbus (of course they're all new!)

John

Wow...not around here!

O'Reilly is usually one of the better stores and have a staff that knows their stuff with a decent price. I've never had them even offer to carry anything out for me though.

I had had several issues with didn't fit, didn't work, didn't come in when they said, etc, and then the less than a year old clutch thrust bearing went out. I will not be buying any more of their junk. May show up for oil specials or something.

Originally Posted By: rat
Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
.. the three counter people were the ones that worked there when I graduated in 1978! They all had gray/white hair.
55.gif

Wow, working together 31 years. They probably either finished each other's sentences, or didn't have to talk at all to know the others' thoughts...
grin2.gif

I started working in a parts store right out of high school. I am still amazed at how many of the guys had been working there for so many years. I worked my way up through the ranks, but in the late 90's things seemed to change and good workers for good pay were phased out for warm bodies and minimum pay.

EXACT same thing happened here at the in state chain I worked at. Just a little sooner( 89 ). We had great employees with the company who had been there forever. Huge customer base. Then the company decided to go to a centralized phone parts dept to make things "more efficient and reduce overhead".
31.gif
Instead of knowledgable parts guys who took pride in their job and who were paid a fair wage they went to those same warm bodies for minimum wage.

The repair shops were outraged they couldn't call us at the individual stores anymore and in the 1st month half of them switched to other companies. Those of us behind the counter were reduced to stock boys who pulled orders sent down from Telemarketing. What was really sad was the majority of us in the stores knew more than the guys they picked or hired to work the phones. We also knew the individual customer and what they liked and didn't like. We spent a LOT of time returning orders and redoing them correctly to fit the customer's preferrences. They also told us no more pay raises and they let like half of the store employees go at each place.

I had worked all the way up to head counterman( trained the new guys and opened/closed the store on Sunday ), and was soon to be promoted to an Asst Manager, but I was so disgusted by the new company philosophy I packed up and left about 6 months later. I stuck it out through some god awful managers over the years but it just was too much. They showed they didn't care about the employees or the customers so it was a sign it was time to go. I went to a Ford dealer and worked parts and service after leaving that parts chain.

That chain is a ghost town now. Most of the stores are still there( how I will never know??? - 3 that I know of have shut down though )but maybe 1-2 employees in the store and almost never any customers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back