Orange vs. Red signal lights...your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a fashion thing.
A few decades back, European imports always had amber turn signal lenses at the rear.
American and Japanese makers followed.
More recently, Euro cars have had only red lenses at the rear, and American and Japanese and Korean makers have followed.
I like amber rear turn signals, but BMW and Mercedes have decided that red is a more premium look now, so the rest have followed.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I like amber too. What bothers me is there are two different ways the automakers accomplish this. One is with an amber lens. That's okay.

Others use a clear lens with amber bulb. Over time, the amber coloring flakes off the bulb, leaving the car with a white turn signal, making the car look "not right".

You can also receive a ticket/fix it ticket for this at least here in Michigan. My front turn signals are clear and you must run an amber bulb. My rears are just a giant red lens so its clear bulbs underneath.

+15 for amber. I like how the 98 crown vic had a thin sliver of an amber light but then they went back to all red.
confused2.gif

When some spaz is on and off the brake as he's preparing to turn, it gets confusing.

Goofy but I also like the rearview mirror turnsignals on Canyonero-size suvs, and side markers on front fenders of euro cars.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Down here in So Cal less than 50% drivers use signal, red or amber makes no difference for those who doesn't use it.

Personally, I like amber turn signal light better as you can see it farther away.

In Miami-Dade and Broward County I would say 80% do not use their signals..Not even the men and women of law enforcement use them..Just today I had a moron in a Malibu change lanes at least on 15 times on I-95 without signaling.

With that said I also vote for amber for the sprinkling of people who use them.

I'm gonna have to call the 'Amber-lamps' on this one as well. Especially those sharp LED ambers as seen on BMWs etc... such a rich, pure, focussed amber colour of narrow wavelegth; perfect.In the front, they look really great against an HID headlightalso.

I think cheap [censored] car companies amalgamate the brake/turn signal lights because they're too cheap to run the extra copper lead. Case in point: Ford Fusion. The turn signal should be where they have the reverse light. It's so stupid to watch a 2011 model with one giant red blinking tail light, like it was an '84 Grand LeMans...

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Orange is definitely better and I'm surprised not mandatory.

I moved here from the UK where orange is mandatory.

It should be in the US.

Red turns don't grab your attention nearly as much as the red, most people reactions to red is that the other driver is stopping or braking.

Actually, even those BMWs, and other European cars that have ALL red bezels actually have amber lenses or leds so when you activate the turns they will be yellow or amber.

Last edited:
When I was in the States last year, I loved the look of the all reds, but quickly grew to miss the amber turn signals of Oz.

My first car used both ambers for reverse (and had white front indicators), but soon after that model year, amber front indicators, and white reverse lights were mandates.

I much prefer amber, it stands out much better. For looks, I've seen people do aftermarket translucent paint on the tails so they look all-red, but the turn signals still light up amber. They could do that from the factory.

Amber for me, too. The only vehicles that I've had that had amber, though, were the 1983 mid size LTD and the 1991 Audi. There are people here in town that don't like the amber on the Audis and do some sort of retrofit. Yeesh.

As I remember Amber turn signals are mandatory in Europe. I clearly remember if you bring car from US with red turn signals, you were suppose to make them amber

Amber lens/lights for me.

On my truck I use amber bulbs with the amber lens to give a more orange look.

I really hate those cars with clear lens/amber lights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF

I really hate those cars with clear lens/amber lights.

Who else remembers the Altezza fad ?
grin.gif

The worst part was the car makers started using those style of tail lamps as well.....horrific.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I'm colorblind. Depending on the weather, the position of the sun, if my windshield is dirty, if my glasses are dirty, and if I am really paying attention, I may be able to tell the difference in an Amber or Red turn signal.

All I care is that the turn signal works... and that you USE IT!

Same thing with Break Lights. You REALLY need to make sure you have more than just ONE working.

Although I'm pretty sure those people don't visit this board. None of you guys would EVER have JUST ONE BRAKE LIGHT WORKING!

I'm color blind too. Amber, red, and orange are all the same to me so this conversation Remember, you color-seeing people are the guys with the disability. *Everything* matches in my world.

Originally Posted By: urchin

Who else remembers the Altezza fad ?
grin.gif

The worst part was the car makers started using those style of tail lamps as well.....horrific.

LOL Those were awful!

One little correction on the Altezzas. The manufacturers came first, when Toyota put them on the IS300 (sold in Japan as the Toyota Altezza, hence the name of the lights). They were then copied in the aftermarket.

Amber makes much more sense.

VW is good at making turn signals that are mostly invisible. Lot of other carmakers are also good at making signals hard to see. Toyota minivans' front signals are invisible if you're more than 15 degrees off of the centerline.

I'd be willing to accept the form-over-function design mentality if drivers would at least use the signals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back