Why not require amber rear turn signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I just got my 25-led tail / brake bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. in the mail yesterday and installed them. I checked them out in pitch-black last night and they're exactly the same brightness as the incandescents they replace, BUT they don't put out quite as much light to the sides, which results in a little less reflection off the reflectors in the tail lights. Looked at them at noon today and they actually seem a little brighter during daylight. Overall I'm happy with them, mainly because I like the look of instant on / off. Looking forward to the turn signals and high-mount arriving later this week.

Awesome place, I was going to replace some interior lights and side markers with lights from them just never ordered yet.

You might want to reconsider the interior lights, or add instead of replace. I spoke with a guy on a Nissan Frontier forum that attempted LEDs in his map lights and apparently it sucked. Many map and dome lights depend a lot on light bouncing around and reflecting off the reflectors inside the lights, much like headlights. LED lights don't scatter light that much, so the reflectors weren't utilized and all he got was light from the bulb itself. Side markers would probably be cool. I'm anxiously awaiting my turn signals. :)

Well I actually got the reccomendation as to which sizes to order and what lights look best for the VW.

Mine don't have reflecttors, they basically just shine and refract out the lens. Hopefully it works the way I want so I don't have a problem. I know what you mean though, I bought interior lights from another site and they sucked bad. Pathetic light output and they started flinkering and other stuff.

Quote:

You might want to reconsider the interior lights, or add instead of replace.

It's not been a problem for me, and I've replaced several of my interior lights with the 9 LED "festoon" model from SuperBrightLeds. The main thing I found you need to watch for, is that the 9 LED units are directional (unlike normal incandescent bulbs). So careful to point them in the direction you want most of the light to go (when you install them in the socket). But other than that, the light output actually looks brighter (and more useful) IMHO.

FWIW: I actually went with their expensive (around $20/each) "Luxeon" LEDs for my break/tail (and turn signal) lights. They are noticeably more expensive than the 24 LED modules, but I found the Red/Amber Luxeon units to be noticeably brighter (then both the 24 LED units, and the stock incandescent bulbs) as well. Really nice LED units IMHO.

BTW: The primary reason I am switching over to LEDs, is to save power (the less electricity you use in the car, the less work the alternator has to do, and that translates into slightly better fuel economy). And a secondary reason I am switching over to LEDs, is to avoid hassles if/when the lights "burn out" (and the cop notices it before I notice the bulb is out). But IMHO it's also a minor "safety issue" with break lights, as LEDs turn on/off almost instantly, vs normal (incandescent) bulbs which take about 1/8 second to warm up. Now, 1/8 second might not sound like much, but that's 1/8 second more reaction time you are giving to the person behind you (to react before they run into your rear bumper)...

I don't really like the dual fillament bulbs that some vehicle use where the brake and turn signal are together. Amber is more eye catching than red, isn't yellow a fast color?

I kind of like how some of the european cars have the lights set up. Many of the lights are all independently lit. For example brake lights, tail lights and turn signal are all separate bulbs.

Speaking of LEDs, I noticed that many buses are switching over to LED bulbs. Less bulb replacements and more economical in the long run. Plus the ordinary incandescent lamps seem to kind of dim over time.

Quote:

FWIW: I actually went with their expensive (around $20/each) "Luxeon" LEDs for my break/tail (and turn signal) lights. They are noticeably more expensive than the 24 LED modules, but I found the Red/Amber Luxeon units to be noticeably brighter (then both the 24 LED units, and the stock incandescent bulbs) as well. Really nice LED units IMHO.

I looked at the Luxeon but needed something that had radial mounted LEDs to make full use of the huge reflectors in my tail lights. In my application, the Luxeons would have provided excellent rearward illumination but the 'spiderweb' designed in my reflectors would have gone unutilized, so I opted for the 25 LED 3157s. The front and rear blinkers in this truck also require a radial design, otherwise I would have loved the Luxeons.

Amber rear turn indicators should be mandatory because they reduce ambiguity and conform to international standards. It is one reason I purchased my PT Cruiser and one reason whey I just passed on a new Audi. One rear red fog light should also become a mandatory feature. Again, this is standard in Europe.

Richard.

Quote:

I kind of like how some of the european cars have the lights set up. Many of the lights are all independently lit. For example brake lights, tail lights and turn signal are all separate bulbs.

They also apparently have separate circuits/fuses for the left and right tail lights.

I have driven in most of the states. I think getting drivers to use the signals that they have is much more important than the color of their signals.

I'm sorry, but you passed on a new Audi because of its tail lights then bought a PT Cruiser???? As far as vehicles go, aren't you talking apples and oranges?

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you passed on a new Audi because of its tail lights then bought a PT Cruiser???? As far as vehicles go, aren't you talking apples and oranges?

Is that a taillight metaphor? Like, Audi would be an apple cuz apples are red and PT Cruiser would be an orange?

Quote:

One rear red fog light should also become a mandatory feature. Again, this is standard in Europe.

Richard.

So that's why I see those European cars (Mercedes, Volvos, etc) with one rear light that's super bright! Always wondered what was up with that.

Quote:

Quote:

One rear red fog light should also become a mandatory feature. Again, this is standard in Europe.

Richard.

So that's why I see those European cars (Mercedes, Volvos, etc) with one rear light that's super bright! Always wondered what was up with that.

Actually, that's a huge pet peeve of mine--ignorant drivers who drive around with their front fog lights on in all conditions. On Euro cars with the rear fog light, the rear light is linked to the front fog lights, so folks drive around with the really bright rear fog light on all the time. Yeah, they're great things when it's actually foggy out, but they're blinding on clear evenings outside of the city limits.
mad.gif

With regard to amber turn signals, I've seen very few cars that look good with them and I'm sure that's why manufacturers stay away from them. It's harder to make a good, clean looking rear end with an amber lens in the mix. It's usually a visual distraction and detracts from the look. I think that's why most cars still have red lenses here, even if the signal flashes amber. It just doesn't look good.

Personally, as long as the bulb is lit (a big problem in my experience), I don't care whether it's red, amber, purple or blue. They should mandate a warning light on the dash that tells people when any one of their lights isn't working. That would do MUCH more for safety than making rear turn signals amber.

That brings me to the high-mount brake light. The only real advantage that I see is that it's one more bulb that might still be working when the others have burned out and the owner hasn't bothered to replace or even check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back