Two Annoying American Auto Manufacturers' Practices

It is not unique to domestics. My 21 Jetta had red rear turn signals, the 19s had amber they changed them after that. Presumably cost cutting at work.

I prefer ambers as well and I believe amber is mandated in Europe.
Wanna trade tail lamps? I think the amber delete looks cleaner on the newer ones lol 🤣

They played earlier and lost to the Orioles 8-3

(ps, I hate red turn signals and turn signals in the bumper)
Do you mean like Kia and Hyundai do, and there's a Range Rover model though a diminutive one...

I think they're trying to be "fancy," but it doesn't make any sense because humans are looking for the info adjacent to the brake lamps.

For example, there could be OLED monitors in place of tail lamps saying "I am stopping now and going to turn right," but this is hard for a human to instantaneously process in ms

Those bumper turn signals get blocked by the first vehicle behind it. When you're the 2nd one back it's ''why are we slowing down for nothing" until the turning one gets into the turn and then the light becomes visible.
Even with a slight normal vehicle in lane offset they get blocked, poor design for fashion uniqueness.

All 3 of my vehicles can recirculate with or without AC on. The two Nissan's were built in TN and the Toyota came from Japan.
mine do as well...I know the Vette and Kia do, will check the truck next time, but it is a sperate button, and I seem to remember being able to use it as I wish. I only use it on long road trips when trying to maximize efficiency (less AC compressor run time).

Limited recirculation is a must for the average driver. In the north it's common to see imports driving down the road in winter with side windows fogged or frozen up due to running the HVAC in recirculation so they get the quick heater warm up, but the moisture inside doesn't get vented out, so the knuckleheads drive around with only a clear windshield. Rear defrosts usually time out.
Most US vehicles default to outside air only in defrost.

I’ve never had a problem noticing that a vehicle is preparing to make a turn whether the vehicle has amber or red turn signals. However the smoked rear lenses are a different story…….

I’ve never had a problem noticing that a vehicle is preparing to make a turn whether the vehicle has amber or red turn signals. However the smoked rear lenses are a different story…….

I'm with you...I don't understand the complaint. If a red or amber light is blinking, I am paying attention, and assuming there is something I need to make notice of. I do prefer LED's as they are faster to react, and seem to attract attention better.

Higher and brighter is better, but I don't really care if it is on a bumper or not. I also don't need to see a blinker on a car that is in front of the car in front of me...the car in front of me is stopping, so I assume I need to slow as well. If it a large van, box truck, semi, etc...I might not even know there is a car in front of them, and I certainly don't hold it against them that I think they are stopping for no reason.

Our '68 Impala had turn signals (all its taillights actually) in the rear bumper. I didn't realize that was still a thing.

Land Rover Discovery perhaps? What else?
I was thinking of my '68 Impala while reading this thread.

Snow and slush used to pack into the recessed taillights, obscuring them badly. Stylish design, but far from practical.

Although I far prefer amber turn signals, they wouldn't have looked good on the old 6-taillight Impalas and Caprices.

What if it is a smoked lens that still reflects well, and is extremely bright? Do you dislike the dark color when not in use, or because you assume it makes the light dimmer?

If you use signals in New Mexico drivers are confused by the blinky light.

I do prefer orange for signals and like the newer Ram taillights.

My annoyance: the CHMSLs that flash three times then go solid. I hope that trend dies

mine do as well...I know the Vette and Kia do, will check the truck next time, but it is a sperate button, and I seem to remember being able to use it as I wish. I only use it on long road trips when trying to maximize efficiency (less AC compressor run time).
Dang, only our 2011 GM can't. Can we imagine, we are not allowed to decide to recirc without AC? Sometimes when it's actually too cold, I cut the AC and stay in recirc. I don't like to have the AC on, and add heat, other than for defrosting in the winter.

Limited recirculation is a must for the average driver. In the north it's common to see imports driving down the road in winter with side windows fogged or frozen up due to running the HVAC in recirculation so they get the quick heater warm up, but the moisture inside doesn't get vented out, so the knuckleheads drive around with only a clear windshield. Rear defrosts usually time out.

They should be running the AC in those situations. For many newer cars that’s automatic.

They should be running the AC in those situations. For many newer cars that’s automatic.
Yes, but how much in life, can a person go through, not understanding anything at all. Such as the dew point. People drive drunk now and get caught and blame the car that the headlights were off. A person should be able to turn their own headlights on, and off, if they want. They should be able to understand how interval wipers work. What if the car decides how far the driver should be from the wheel, and electrocutes people that have hands at 10 and 2 (this was stopped in 1992, and here it is 2023 and people still do it).

My 2 Nissan's will disable recirculate only in defrost. Its the one mode that does not allow recirculate - well it and defrost + another setting, like defrost and floor at same time - anything with defrost.

So there is no real need to force recirculate only with AC on. If people are too stupid to turn on their defrost if the windows are fogged, well what can I say. Its like those sensors they have to ensure you don't forget your kids in the car. I have forgotten many things in my time, but my kids were never one of them.

I was thinking of my '68 Impala while reading this thread.

Snow and slush used to pack into the recessed taillights, obscuring them badly. Stylish design, but far from practical.
That was my favorite car we had when I was a kid. I never got to drive it however; they traded it in just days before I get my learner's permit. Everything about that car seemed so futuristic! From the front grille to the HVAC vents to the taillights. And much nicer seats than the vinyl in the Nova they bought as a replacement.

Dang, only our 2011 GM can't. Can we imagine, we are not allowed to decide to recirc without AC? Sometimes when it's actually too cold, I cut the AC and stay in recirc. I don't like to have the AC on, and add heat, other than for defrosting in the winter.
I have always pulled yhe AC relay, or disconnect a pressure switch in all my vehicles in the fall. That way the AC doesn't run whenever the defrost is on for dehumidification.

Once it all dries out, things work fine.

This is also to say that I live in a place which needs cooling only 3 months a year in a vehicle.

Really dumb is the Bolt and some other cars where the turn signal is in the bottom bumper area. If there is a car behind it how do you know they’re turning?

Back