Two Annoying American Auto Manufacturers' Practices

A lot of dealers in my area install those moronic CHMSL flashers; I won't buy a car equipped with that garbage. The last thing I want is a car with a wiring harness that has been hacked up by a minimum wage "technician" who has yet to develop opposable thumbs.

Like the kind who doesn't know the difference between the yellow, blue, and red splices?

My annoyance: the CHMSLs that flash three times then go solid. I hope that trend dies
That is something that dealers do and it is not legal. Other than turn signals and 4-way blinkers, no lights on a civilian car can be wired to flash automatically while it is being driven.

Bro … yeah Bruh … You no … Breaux …
Should I be getin’ down wid thez?

8460DEB2-C853-4D4A-B258-602CE23298C1.jpeg

It is. The really odd thing is that the US spec VW Tiguan the turn signals are red on the side turning. However if you look closely there is a small area that looks amber but doesn't light up. In Europe the small spot on the Tiguan lamp is an amber turn signal. Doug Demuro posted about this a few years back. I think the ece and sae are backing off to make it easier to make one turn signal lamp.
"And here’s what I learned: all turn signals must be at least 2,200 square millimeters in size"
See this post:

Converting to red is easy, the amber lens is replaced with a red lens, with bulb replacement if necessary. Converting to amber can be more difficult if the same bulb is doing double duty as turn and brake, with the circuit isolation of the turn and brake circuits occuring in the turn signal switch.
In my 2002 Explorer they replaced the backup light (clear lens) with orange blinker bulbs.

I see a lot of motorcycles with the “pulsing” head lights.
Forward visibility, not needed so much now as LED DRL's have replaced headlights being on in DRL mode in cars so bikes don't blend in as much with cars.
I run the 3 flash brake light on my bike, only one taillight and don't feel like being the meat in a car sandwich at the traffic light.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
Back