Orange vs. Red signal lights...your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound like a silly discussion, but I'd still like to have it.....

Some vehicles, in their tail light clusters, use orange lenses for the directional signals. The brake and running lights are the red part of the lights; and the directional signals are quite separate orange blinkers.

Other cars don't have separate coloured lenses for signal lights. The signal lights blink red, with the same colour of lens as the brake and running lights.

I've always thought it makes more sense to have your signal lights be a separate colour of light, as it stands out more, and makes it easier to see what a car is doing. It just seems to me to be a safer thing to do. but lots of vehicles have just the one clour of tail lens (except for reverse), and the signal, to me, seems to 'blend in' a bit with the brake and running light.

I know that if you are watching them, signal lights of any colour show you clearly where someone is going, I'm just suprised that different coloured signal lights havent been made mandatory, in the name of extra safety. On a personal note as well, I have always thought that orange marker lights just look better than all-red tail lights.

Anyone with me on this?

I like the amber turn signals and with people multi-tasking when driving I'll take what I can get to stand out to avoid getting hit. Now that I think about it all of my cars have separate amber turn signals.

I think many manufacturers have gone to the red light for looks. I do think that orange stands out MUCH more. When driving I find that the orange grabs my attention much faster than red does.

I'm glad my Cherokee has the orange signals.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm colorblind. Depending on the weather, the position of the sun, if my windshield is dirty, if my glasses are dirty, and if I am really paying attention, I may be able to tell the difference in an Amber or Red turn signal.

All I care is that the turn signal works... and that you USE IT!

Same thing with Break Lights. You REALLY need to make sure you have more than just ONE working.

Although I'm pretty sure those people don't visit this board. None of you guys would EVER have JUST ONE BRAKE LIGHT WORKING!

I'm quite happy that my cruze has amber rear turn signals. I definitely do prefer it over using the brake/running light as the turn signal.

Down here in So Cal less than 50% drivers use signal, red or amber makes no difference for those who doesn't use it.

Personally, I like amber turn signal light better as you can see it farther away.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Down here in So Cal less than 50% drivers use signal, red or amber makes no difference for those who doesn't use it.

Personally, I like amber turn signal light better as you can see it farther away.

Guess I'm glad to live here, where people use turn signals 95% of the time.

I prefer amber, but agree with the others: it's more important that people use them than what color they are.

I do think that in most cases it's an aesthetic design decision, since the decision varies from car to car even among one manufacturer. (Examples - most Hondas have amber, but our '01 Accord coupe had all red; many Chevys have only red, but Cruzes have amber)

Amber all the way. My main problem with red turn signals is that in traffic in the daylight (i.e. when tail lights are off and you can only see one tail light because of another car following close behind) you can't instantly tell the difference between somebody tapping their brakes or signaling for a lane change.

Not a major problem but still, ambiguous signals annoy me. I've actually given this issue some thought before
smile.gif

I definitely prefer amber lights, even though my car has only red. Although, it does have dedicated tail lamps above the brakes lights. When signaling, the dedicated tail lamps stay solid, and only the brake lights flash.

The car with the worst turn/brake lights are more recent toyota camrys. when it's sunny out, it's difficult to see the brake lights, let alone when they are flashing. They are just too small, and too dim to be much use.

Orange is definitely better and I'm surprised not mandatory.

I moved here from the UK where orange is mandatory.

i also am in on the amber lights.
Has anyone seen on the newer dodge's how the headlights wink while the turn signal is on. I appreciate it because it's more noticable when someone is about to turn in front of you but it kinda freaked me out the first time I saw it.

I prefer amber turn signals, it just stands out more.

The rear lamps on my VW Jetta are all dedicated. So turn signal, tail light and brake are separate bulbs. The rear lens appears red color but the turn signal is amber which I like.

Speaking of turn signals the newer Mustangs have a very interesting sequential rear turn signal pattern.

I would actually prefer amber lights for turn signals in my tail lights, but its a full red lense with 2 bulbs per taillight housing, the outside one blinks for direction and the insides light brighter for braking.

I like amber too. What bothers me is there are two different ways the automakers accomplish this. One is with an amber lens. That's okay.

Others use a clear lens with amber bulb. Over time, the amber coloring flakes off the bulb, leaving the car with a white turn signal, making the car look "not right".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back