Alternator failed

Modern cars do have a huge electrical load. My bimmer has 22 (22!) computers, including a computer for the suspension. However, it increase mileage by 0.003% BMW (and I bet other companies do the same) has n intelligent charging system. This system doesn't charge the battery under acceleration! Them Germans!

In my experience, if you have 120,000 miles on an alternator, you're on borrowed time. Last month I preemptively replaced the one in my 2011 Ranger at just over 150,000 miles, and the replacement was new (not reman) Motorcraft (Ford). Yes, new alternators are still available for this truck.

Stored the original as a backup. I had kept the new alternator too long to get the core charge back.

Modern cars do have a huge electrical load. My bimmer has 22 (22!) computers, including a computer for the suspension. However, it increase mileage by 0.003% BMW (and I bet other companies do the same) has n intelligent charging system. This system doesn't charge the battery under acceleration! Them Germans!
It's not just the germans. My Bolt will use 0.5kw-1kw just sitting idle, in park, with headlights and HVAC off. I'm not sure how accurate the kw reading is and it only goes in 0.5kw increments but let's average that out to 0.75 so that's 750w / 12v = 62.5A constant draw just to have the car on, not driving.

The first time I had an alternator pulley clutch fail, on an Audi at 47K miles about 20 years ago, I was amazed. Alternator pulleys were never an issue, now they have sprag clutches in them that fail.

In my experience, if you have 120,000 miles on an alternator, you're on borrowed time. Last month I preemptively replaced the one in my 2011 Ranger at just over 150,000 miles, and the replacement was new (not reman) Motorcraft (Ford). Yes, new alternators are still available for this truck.

Stored the original as a backup. I had kept the new alternator too long to get the core charge back.
I don’t think I’ve ever experienced one failing, growing up or on my own vehicles. I’m just glad it’s relatively easy to get at and not outrageously expensive outside of OEM Mopar prices.

Back