Orange vs. Red signal lights...your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Toyota minivans' front signals are invisible if you're more than 15 degrees off of the centerline.

On a related note, follow a Prius at noontime on a sunny day in the summer (IE, when the sun is high in the sky), and I'll bet you won't be able to see whether the turnsignals or brake lights are lit. All you'll see is glare from the sun, reflecting off of the taillights.

I give the edge to amber signals, but wish folks used them regardless of the color. The sequential red LED signals on the late model Mustang's are very eye-catching though...

Originally Posted By: morris
before the foreigners sent cars over here we all ready had lights on our cars that worked fine. THE END

those dern toot'n foreigners! and they sent all their cars free-of-charge and against our will! shucks

As others have said, amber turn signals aren't required in the US, as they are in Europe, but NHTSA could choose to mandate them for new cars. Here's an article about it on Autoblog from 2009. Autoblog link

Also, some US cars have to have them added to meet European restrictions, like this Corvette.

ukdm-chevy-corvette-taillights-580.jpg

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It's a fashion thing.
A few decades back, European imports always had amber turn signal lenses at the rear.
American and Japanese makers followed.
More recently, Euro cars have had only red lenses at the rear, and American and Japanese and Korean makers have followed.
I like amber rear turn signals, but BMW and Mercedes have decided that red is a more premium look now, so the rest have followed.

Japan mandates amber turn signals on every vehicle. Many people will buy taillights from Japan (see Toyota Cavalier) to set apart their vehicles. I have come to like amber turn signals, although the red turn signal is easier to make look nice.

I agree with what some of the others said about how it's more important that turn signals get used. Amber or red won't do anyone much good if they're not blinking.

On some cars like the Mercury Grand Marquis, a part of the headlamp comes on with the turn signal, lighting up the curbs at night when I'm turning. I wish every car came with this feature.

And as for the sequential lights on the Mustang, this is nothing new and has been around since the days of the '65 Thunderbird.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: semaj281

On some cars like the Mercury Grand Marquis, a part of the headlamp comes on with the turn signal, lighting up the curbs at night when I'm turning. I wish every car came with this feature.

Those are called "cornering lights" and were popular on Caddys/Buicks/Olds (and others) in the 70's and 80's....seems to have fallen out of favor.

Originally Posted By: semaj281

And as for the sequential lights on the Mustang, this is nothing new and has been around since the days of the '65 Thunderbird.

Never said it was new.....not too many '65 Thunderbirds encountered on the daily commute though.

Originally Posted By: OceanDoctor
I'm gonna have to call the 'Amber-lamps' on this one as well. Especially those sharp LED ambers as seen on BMWs etc... such a rich, pure, focussed amber colour of narrow wavelegth; perfect.In the front, they look really great against an HID headlightalso.

I think cheap [censored] car companies amalgamate the brake/turn signal lights because they're too cheap to run the extra copper lead. Case in point: Ford Fusion. The turn signal should be where they have the reverse light. It's so stupid to watch a 2011 model with one giant red blinking tail light, like it was an '84 Grand LeMans...

Haha call the Amberlamps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back