Putting car in 'park' at long traffic lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently put mine in neutral but never apply the parking brake. If I start to roll, I just keep my foot on the pedal.

I also leave OD off if driving 50 MPH or less and shut the A/C off a mile before destination. Oh yea, I let it idle a lllooonnnggg time in the winter. I like it toasty when I get in.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned: putting the car in P (or N) and removing your foot from the brake extinguishes your brake lights. If you are the first one in line, and the guy behind you isn't paying attention, with no brake lights he may not realise you are stopped and hit you. It happened to me...a guy was stopped to take a left turn and either had defective brake lights, or his foot was off the brake (and he had no blinker on). I was momentarily distracted and didn't realise he was not moving and struck him. No damage to his car other than a scuff on the bumper, but I had $950 damage to my car.

Lights or no lights, your fault.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I was momentarily distracted and didn't realise he was not moving and struck him.

I seem to recall my father used to put his auto tranny Chevies in N at lights -- but then he grew up with manual transmissions. When I tried it on my cars, my engine revved a little higher, thus burning more gas, so I stopped doing it. (Though the Regal's rev counter doesn't seem to move when I go from D to N.)

So I leave the car in D with my foot on the brake at lights. If said lights are very long, I try to find a new way to my destination. Trains? I turn the car off, roll down the windows, and curse heartily.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
In my AT days, I would slip into N. If I get rear ended, i'd like to roll forward with as little resistance as possible.

But then you have a good chance of rolling into moving traffic, no? (if someone rear ends you while you're sitting at a red light, and if you're the front-most car at the light...)

That, and if someone rear ends you, and you roll forward and rear end the car in front of you, at fault for that.

Not true at least in MA. My wife was rear ended in her car and pushed into the rear of the car in front demolishing its exhaust. My insurance told the person she hit to collect from the person who hit my wife who was hit and run. Although we found an imprint of plate latter in my wife's bumper and my insurance Progressive managed to collect for us the entire claim and get our $500 deductible taken care of. I think the other guy who called me 5 times got to claim his own company(sucker).

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I hate burning up my taillights at stoplights so into park or neutral it goes.

32.gif
I'm a somewhat balanced frugal person (IMO
grin.gif
), but I find it intriguing that people actually try to limit wear on something like vehicle light bulbs. My dad (RIP) would not use his turn signals at various locations to "save" them, all the while completely o.k. with increasing safety risks.

It seems over the top to me, but I don't really care what others do. But, those that save their headlights by not turning them on in heavy rain (or other visibility challenged scenarios) or until the latest possible dusk conditions are naive about the dangers they create. Just my opinion.

Back on topic!

Not turning on HEADlights to save something is dumb. I agree 100%

But Turn signals? it depends:
If one is ALREADY SITTING on the turn lane, at a LONG light, waiting to get a green arrow for a long time, then turning off the blinker... I think I can see some sense in that.
I do that sometimes, but ONLY while I am sitting STILL for a green arrow for a LONG time, AFTER having signaled to get IN the turn lane, but no green arrow yet. i ALWAYS turn it back ON as soon as I start moving and turning.

I ALWAYS use signal for lane changes, and uninterrupted turns. NEVER save "blinker life" there!

Not turning on HEADlights to save something is dumb. I agree 100%

But Turn signals? it depends:
If one is ALREADY SITTING on the turn lane, at a LONG light, waiting to get a green arrow for a long time, then turning off the blinker... I think I can see some sense in that.
I do that sometimes, but ONLY while I am sitting STILL for a green arrow for a LONG time, AFTER having signaled to get IN the turn lane, but no green arrow yet. i ALWAYS turn it back ON as soon as I start moving and turning.

That I take an objection to. The point of the turn signals is to signal your intent. So if you intent on turning left, then you should be signalling it. Signalling when you're already turning is a little too late, IMO. Same goes for lane changes. Start signalling first, then make your move.

I should have been clearer. If I am the first car in the line to turn, I do NOT turn it off, I leave it on. I omitted that part actually.
I only do it when I am not the first car waiting to turn, AND have ample time to turn it back on, clearly BEFORE i approach the turn. (That's why I said i turn it back on when I am MOVING and turning - which means I am turning it back on ALREADY when I have started moving forward, PRIOR to start actual turning)

(Being already in the turn lane is enough, IMO for intent; If I were to change my mind, and get back into an adjacent, NON turn lane - (which I have never done; I would just complete the turn and turn around somewhere) - I would be signalling in that direction for sure.)

(Being already in the turn lane is enough, IMO for intent; If I were to change my mind, and get back into an adjacent, NON turn lane - (which I have never done; I would just complete the turn and turn around somewhere) - I would be signalling in that direction for sure.)

But, the person sitting behind you is not a mind reader and does not know why you are sitting in the turn lane with no blinker on. Being a defensive driver, my mind is wondering if you have changed your mind and are intending to move back into regular lane.

All to save your blinker mechanism or bulb???

Turning this back to the OP, sitting at an intersection without your brake light illuminated might mean the difference of getting butt smacked by an inattentive driver. It doesn't seem worth the risk of injury or death, IMO.

Being already in the turn lane is enough, IMO for intent;

Drivers approaching from other directions can't always tell that you're in the turn lane, especially if it's dark outside.

I agree that my blinker practice is not perfectly normal.
But I don't think I will change it either.

I was merely curious as to how many others here do the Park/Neutral thing at long stop lights. Interesting comments and points. Keep them coming.

I'm sure not all cars are like that, but I've seen plenty of cars where the reverse lights light up for a moment as you go from D to P and then back to D, since the "R" position is somewhere in between the two. That can send mixed signals to the cars behind you. What is this guy doing? Is he getting ready to reverse and back into me?

I typically just keep it in "D" when I use my wife's car.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Lights or no lights, your fault.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I was momentarily distracted and didn't realise he was not moving and struck him.
Really, Captain Obvious?

I never claimed it wasn't my fault. I was simply trying to illustrate that HAD there been brake lights, I might have realised he wasn't moving sooner and NOT hit him.

Uh-Oh, lights increase safety, ow yeah! Makes more visible, from far away. Light bulbs aren't that expensive ... And are easily changeable, too.

Some vehicles seem prone to shift cable issues...I'd probably avoid using the shifter more than necessary on those.

Trailblazer/Envoy/etc. comes to mind. The bushing on the transmission end of the cable wears out and is only sold with the cable assembly.

I sometimes full the handbrake and just leave it in gear while waiting for a long light. Then once it turns green, I release the handbrake and apply the gas.

I feel shifting the transmission back and forth isn't the best practice and could be causing excess wear on the parts involved (we don't know this). The auto tranny is designed to function while in gear with the brakes applied at a stop, so what exactly are you "saving" by taking it out of gear for a minute?

Regarding a comment about sitting at red lights without the brake lights on... I've been driving manual transmission cars for a decade and always wait at lights in neutral without touching the brake pedal ( if the ground is level and the car doesn't roll ) and I've never had anyone rear end me because the brake lights weren't on. Hahaha.

Although the engine rev's up I suspect it burns less gas with no loading from the convertor. How much? And would it offset any potential wear? Dunno. IMO I don't see a real need to, unless if it's going to be measured in minutes before you move again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back