Red versus amber rear turn signals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I definitely agree that all turn signals should be amber. To me it is silly to have them part of the brake light. I also feel though that all cars should ahve turn signal lamps on either the side of the car, or on the side mirrors. That is one of my favorite things that have been added to most new cars..

Side "repeaters" are another thing Europe got right. The only European lighting law I actively hate is the rear fog lamp. Now THAT is a confusing and unnecessary piece du merde. There are a number of subtle areas where European rules are arguably a little worse than American. mostly dealing with light size and intensity ratios, but none that rise to that level of awfulness.

Some of you need to get your eyes examined and improve your driving skills. I've never had an issue seeing red turn signals (or combined turn signal/brake lights). I think the flashers on mirrors or the sides of cars is downright silly, and if you need them you need to get off your cell phone, pay more attention to the traffic around you, and turn/change lanes when it's safe and clear.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
How many federal traffic enforcement patrols do you see?

National Park Service - law enforcement rangers and US Park Police. Forest Service. BLM. USFWS. Any number of other federal law enforcement. These run traffic stops all the time. You don't mess with the USPP. I remember seeing video of their officers body slamming people in violation of the rule against dancing at the Jefferson Memorial. This year a county sheriff in California rescinded the right of Forest Service officers to make arrests and citations for state law. Supposedly because they were making way too many traffic stops and harrassing people over otherwise legal carry of firearms in an unincorporated area.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/06/2...orcement-power/
http://www.edcgov.us/Sheriff/Press_Relea...rvice_Meet.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeF6lwg4aY

tj2.jpg

Heck - go through Washington D.C. and there are over a dozen federal law enforcement departments that might pull someone over for a traffic violation.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Some of you need to get your eyes examined and improve your driving skills. I've never had an issue seeing red turn signals (or combined turn signal/brake lights). I think the flashers on mirrors or the sides of cars is downright silly, and if you need them you need to get off your cell phone, pay more attention to the traffic around you, and turn/change lanes when it's safe and clear.

Still doesn't stop amber from being a plain better idea...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Side "repeaters" are another thing Europe got right. The only European lighting law I actively hate is the rear fog lamp. Now THAT is a confusing and unnecessary piece du merde. There are a number of subtle areas where European rules are arguably a little worse than American. mostly dealing with light size and intensity ratios, but none that rise to that level of awfulness.

Rear fogs are fine, as long as they're used correctly. They're just brighter lights to increase visibility in super-heavy rain or fog. I've been behind cars that had them and it definitely helps in this weather, as you don't end up 20 feet from them and suddenly see their taillights and realize there's a car there. Being able to see them from a couple hundred feet. The big issue with them is all the idiots who drive around with them on all the time.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
2013-Buick-Regal-GS-photos-1024x680.jpg

The most bonehead taillight set up belongs to the otherwise very handsome Buick Regal. That red bulb you see behind the clear lens at the bottom right is both the brake light and turn signal. You have ALL that real estate above it that could have been used for a separate brake light but instead confined everything into that tiny section at the bottom. The rest of the setup only illuminates at night with the headlights on.

The reason for that set up is likely because it is originally a European design that came from the almost identical Opel Insignia.

The original set up in the European car was the turn signal was located where that red bulb sits in the clear housing, the
reflector (tail) lamp is in the square area and the rear fog lamp was placed in the left side rear lamp assembly in the out board area which also houses the brake lamps on both sides.

I think the rear fog lamp is a EXCELLENT idea that should be widely available in the USA, but the general public needs to be educated on how and when to use them.

Last edited:
You would need to find quite the jerk to write you a ticket for them I guess. I ran like that in Illinois for 5 years with never a problem. Even got pulled over in Connecticut for speeding and no mention of them.

And those silver colored bulbs aren't dim with clear covers.

Certainly no worse than the nightshade cripe.

My front housings are clear and the silver ones I have are no brighter than the 194s in the side markers. It was very pathetic. You mustve gotten some good ones. I didnt want to flush more money down trying to find a good silver pair.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You would need to find quite the jerk to write you a ticket for them I guess. I ran like that in Illinois for 5 years with never a problem. Even got pulled over in Connecticut for speeding and no mention of them.

And those silver colored bulbs aren't dim with clear covers.

Certainly no worse than the nightshade cripe.

My front housings are clear and the silver ones I have are no brighter than the 194s in the side markers. It was very pathetic. You mustve gotten some good ones. I didnt want to flush more money down trying to find a good silver pair.

194s are only 4 watts or so. What I have are the normal 26 watt 1156 style

I'm fascinated by this thread. 5 pages of heated debate on a topic I don't think I've ever thought about.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Still doesn't stop amber from being a plain better idea...

And "its not a problem for me, it shouldn't be a problem for you" is a dumb answer in pretty much any context. Frankly, I want the guy with weak eyes sharing the road to be VERY able to see. Just because my eyes can distinguish red/amber very well (even in the awful Range Rover taillamp), it doesn't mean the guy with superb clarity of vision but with a color vision deficiency can see it as easily. Same with people who think bright foglights are harmless because "glare doesn't bother me." Well, I have excellent color vision and clarity (with correction), but I've always been glare sensitive.

Signal lighting has to work for *everyone.* Including the guy who isn't perfect like we all are. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back