Opinions of Kahr pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I have had a 1911 for quite a while then bought a Kahr CW45 mainly just because I liked the way it looked and light enough not to drag my pants down. Then a few months later I picked up a Kahr P380 because it is small and light weight. What is the scoop on Kahr's, are they good, bad or somewhere in the middle? I like mine as far as carry weight but have not fired them a lot.

Kahr's are excellent pistols. Everything that I have read on them has been positive. I have owned a couple. Only got rid of them because I prefer revolvers.

It seems that there was a problem with the polymer framed .40 caliber pistols. The steel framed pistols have been problem free as far as I know.

I am not too up to date on the .380 or the .45. The 9mm's are great.

I have read of many people that would rather carry peper spray than a kahr. I have never shot one, a friend owns one, I dont like the ergonomics of it.

I have 2 steel frames and have no problems with them. I like the platform very much and would own more if I had the money.

Some of the early plastic frames had some problems but I believe that has been taken care of.

So far I like the way they fire, feel and carry. Even though I have only fired maybe 50 rounds through the CW45 and, as I hang my head in embarrassment, 6 rounds from the P380.

I love their pistols! Have two nine millimeters that work well.
My only issue is that the magazine springs are weak causing jams.

If you experience feding problems I've found it's related to weak magazine springs.

Durango

Thanks for the heads up on the feeding problems. Hopefully soon I can get out and put a bunch of rounds through them practicing.

I believe some Kahr model(s) were approved years ago as a backup carry weapon for NYPD officers.

Durango,
How did you fix the weak spring issue? Replacement factory spring? Wolff sping?

Today I went to a local range and shot 50 rounds with the P380 without a malfunction of any kind. It shot everything -- FMJ's and low recoil HP's just fine. It is a snappy little pistol and dug in to my index finger pretty good.

I shot about 100 rounds from the CW45 and I had a stove pipe and a hard jam right off the bat. After that it just shot better and better.

Then of course I shot my Philippino made 1911. I shot about 50 rounds without any malfunction of any sort. In fact it shot very well.

I think the Kahr CW45 will work as well once it is broke in and I get used to both Kahr's super long trigger pull.

I bought a PM9 recently after reading a lot of good reviews. It seems like most bad experiences were anecdotal and isolated. The manual says it has a 200 round breakin period, and all my research indicated that people experienced a few problems during breakin and next to none after that.

My buddy and I went to the range each put 100 rounds through it. It jammed the 1st time I chambered a round, but that was the only flaw all day.

Despite its tiny size the recoil wasn't an issue at all, it felt just like shooting my .40 Beretta or Sig. The only thing limiting its accuracy was the operator!

One downside: The magazine springs were so stiff that I actually got a blister on my thumb from loading the rounds in. It seemed to loosen up as the day went on, but if they stay that stiff loading ammo will be a real chore.

I intend to put some more rounds through it in the coming weeks, but so far it's been a fine pistol.

Originally Posted By: KW
I have had a 1911 for quite a while then bought a Kahr CW45 mainly just because I liked the way it looked and light enough not to drag my pants down. Then a few months later I picked up a Kahr P380 because it is small and light weight. What is the scoop on Kahr's, are they good, bad or somewhere in the middle? I like mine as far as carry weight but have not fired them a lot.

The pistols are made by the son of Reverend Sun Myung Moon, of the Unification Church, Kook Jin Moon.

Kahr Arms is owned by the Saeilo Corporation (pronounced say-low), a subsidiary of the Unification Church International holding company.

After graduating from Harvard University in 1992, Moon founded Kahr Arms with Church money through the shell entity called Saeilo LLC in 1993.

In 1999, Kahr Arms bought Auto-Ordnance Corp., the maker of Thompson submachine guns. Kahr manufactures Auto-Ordnance's line of semi-automatic weapons, including a long-barreled, semi-automatic version of the famous "Tommy Gun", and a number of M1 carbine clones and 1911 clones.

Every Kahr I've seen is an example of near perfect worksmanship.

Lots of problems with my CW9-jams,stovepipes,light primer strikes,failure to go into battery,2 broken extractors (part flying off gun)-numerous $30 shipping charges over and over to Kahr paid by me. I got the distinct impression that they have such an enormous rate of returns that nobody gives a hoot whether the thing works or not and they will not replace the overpriced junk no matter how many times it is sent back. Sometimes the gun would come back in worse shape than when I shipped it. By the way,the 200 round break in got quite expensive as well since every time it got major parts I had to eat the cost of four more boxes of ammo. Very unreliable with a full mag-need to load one round short. Also Kahr STATES THAT THE SLIDE SHOULD NEVER BE RACKED-only chamber first round using the slide release.I cannot even imagine attempting to fire this POS using hollowpoints or +P ammo. Do yourself a favor....BUY SOMETHING ELSE!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back