OMG, wiper prices

A couple weeks ago I was running errands preparing for a trip. My last stop was Autozone on the way home for some last minute wiper blades to replace the factory ones on my 2018 f150. I figured I would buy good ones so I picked up some Bosch units but quickly put them back on the shelf after noticing they were 31.99 each. (65 bucks for wiper blades? No way!) Bosch has a few different types and honestly I cant remember which model they were but I ordered them online for 13.99 each. I havent purchased wiper blaeds in a few years but dang, I cant believe what retail prices are vs ordering online.
What gives?

They are pricier than they used to be, but the worst place to buy them is AutoZone or O'Reilly's. Even their sale prices are high in my opinion. You probably got the best deal you can at that price.

Last edited:
Buying batteries, coolant and wiper blades from the two chains, AZ and AA is going to be a rip off. They know most people need those items NOW, and won't go elsewhere to comparison shop, so they know they can price them high and still sell plenty of those parts. I mean, if your car needed a jump start to get to Autozone for a battery, what are you going to do once you drive there for a battery? Wait for another jump so you can drive to some other place? Or, if your radiator is leaking coolant, will you risk overheating to drive somewhere else for cheaper coolant?

Yes prices are up. Michelin wiper blades used to be 9.99 at Costco in Canada. When on sale they were 6.99. This year they went up to 11.99 regular price and they've redesigned them.

I usually buy two full sets when then are on sale. I've got a stockpile for the next few years sitting in my garage.

Check your local Ford dealer. I get Ford unibeam blades for all of our cars from the dealer. They range from $14-$18ea where I'm at. Quality and longevity have been on par with all the other big name unibeam blades I've used. Except Toyota, those things lasted 4+ years and worked amazing well!

I just bought some 24" Michelin blades at Ollies for $6.99 each. They have a nice assortment of different brands, some cheaper than that.

Yeah, they have become very pricey at retail. Even Walmart's prices are not that much better these days.

If buying spur-of-the-moment wipers at AZ, AAP, NAPA, or Pep Boys you are better off just getting their store brand instead of a named brand. Will work just as well and be much less expensive. Otherwise, order named brand online if they are not needed right away.

I took a chance bought these Valeo Titaniums from Rock for my VW, so far only the Rain X have fit well even the Bosch Icons didn't fit. These fit perfectly and perform flawlessly. I cant speak to the longevity yet as it only been a few months but they are still perfect and survived the NE winter.
For under $7 they are a steal if they last.

Check your local Ford dealer. I get Ford unibeam blades for all of our cars from the dealer. They range from $14-$18ea where I'm at. Quality and longevity have been on par with all the other big name unibeam blades I've used. Except Toyota, those things lasted 4+ years and worked amazing well!
We sell the Motorcraft premium flat unibeam for 14 and the standard metal frame Motorcraft for $10 at my work. The best deal we have is for the factory replacement 22" F150 wiper blade. They sell for 14 as well and last significantly longer than the Motorcraft universal fit them all blades. I would assume they are from a different supplier but I'm not the only one who has noticed that they last longer.

Why in the world would someone get wiper blades at a parts store? The only person I know who does is my friend who feels Walmart sells knock off stuff since the prices are lower. I needed wiper blades last month went to Walmart got the Michelin 18 inch for $6.99 each. Couldn’t beat that some of them were a lot more.

I think you can get mid grade wiper blades for under $10 each at Walmart.

I admit that in the winter I use wipers to scrape off more ice on windshield than I probably should. So I plan for new wiper blades for each vehicle in the spring as I assume old ones got a little rough treatment over the winter.

We sell the Motorcraft premium flat unibeam for 14 and the standard metal frame Motorcraft for $10 at my work. The best deal we have is for the factory replacement 22" F150 wiper blade. They sell for 14 as well and last significantly longer than the Motorcraft universal fit them all blades. I would assume they are from a different supplier but I'm not the only one who has noticed that they last longer.
Thats great to hear that others are seeing the same prices. I just tend to replace them once a year in the spring on our cars since they are so cheap for the Motorcraft ones. I priced out the Toyota ones since they lasted so long on a previous vehicle, but at that time they were $30 something each....no way! Not when I can outfit all 3 of my cars with new wipers for less than one set with the Motorcraft ones.

See if you can get refills at the dealer. Usually a lot cheaper and they work better. Don’t throw away the original frames!

Back