The Limits of RA Bargains on Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’ve encountered the limits of wiper blade bargain-hunting. I used to fill out RockAuto orders/shipments with a few of their bargain close-outs on wiper blades, mostly Trico Teflons and Neoform blades, for each of my four vehicles. After experiencing my second recent mid-rainstorm disintegration of a wiper blade that’s had less than a year in actual service, I think I’m bumping into the practical limits of buying, stashing, and using what are actually middle-aged rubber components, like wiper blades. I haven’t found any sort of manufacturing date, or date code, on the blades in my wiper stash, but some have been in the stash now for 3-4 years, and they were probably aged stock when I bought them. More than one set for each car, bought fresh at their non-close out price, is probably all that’s prudent to keep on hand, assuming wiper blade replacements every 12-15 months. No real use in piling up more “bargain buys” than that, it seems.

Last edited:
I agree based on my own experiences. However, shipping costs on long and skinny objects sometimes make it sensible to buy two sets simultaneously.

I don't track the longevity of my blades but probably get 18 months.

They’re so cheap on Rock Auto, might as well replace them pretty often. I was buying cheapo wipers until last month I had an order going on Rock Auto, realized the Trico Neoform blades were $5 a piece so ordered some for the Jeep and Sonata.

Beam blades at the auto parts store are $20+ a piece.

01.gif

Just buy one or two sets of Rock Auto's regular inventory wipers at a time and you will be fine. If you have more than one car, just buy one set for each car at a time.

But even with the $6 shipping, they're MUCH cheaper than any parts store, and they're still cheaper than Amazon and eBay. Two wipers plus shipping at Rock Auto is still quite a bit less than even one wiper at the store!

I wish Rock Auto would carry the US-made Trico Ultras.

I too, got in the habit of buying way more than I need at RA. I have several sets that are more than a few years old-- this occurs mostly because of having wipers on hand, then selling / buying a new vehicle. That has left me with multiple sizes I no longer have a need for. So in the end, am I really saving on wiper blades?

In the future, I'm going to only buy a set or two at a time, if I need them. This presents its own challenge however, because often just adding a wiper blade (long and skinny) causes the shipping to increase substantially-- this requires buying a few to keep the cost per blade down.

I'll find a good compromise eventually!

I prefer refillable wipers to replacing entire expensive blades. Easy to stash a spare in the car as well.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I too, got in the habit of buying way more than I need at RA. I have several sets that are more than a few years old-- this occurs mostly because of having wipers on hand, then selling / buying a new vehicle. That has left me with multiple sizes I no longer have a need for. So in the end, am I really saving on wiper blades?

In the future, I'm going to only buy a set or two at a time, if I need them. This presents its own challenge however, because often just adding a wiper blade (long and skinny) causes the shipping to increase substantially-- this requires buying a few to keep the cost per blade down.

I'll find a good compromise eventually!

You have four cars listed in your sig. So the easy solution is to just buy all 8 wipers at the same time
smile.gif

Maybe you guys expect too much from your blades. I'm happy if they last more than 6 months. And just to keep the shipping down, I usually get two sets of per car. They had Valeo once which were pretty good, the Trico ones are ok, but not as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back