Motorcraft makes good wipers

I have been buying wipers at the local Ford dealer for years now. The Motorcraft Premium Flat wiper blade as they're called. Very good wiper for the price. Have them on my Suburban (2 front and 1 rear) and just put a new set on my F150.

Reasonably priced around $14 a blade. I realize you can maybe buy at Walmart/RockAuto/online cheaper, but for a walk-in scenario I am happy.

Auto parts stores can and do charge well above that -- I think last I saw a set of Bosch Icons were >$50 a pair.

I just go in and tell them what sizes I need.

Worth trying if you are so obliged.

Made the same decision with my f150 and put motorcrafts back on. Truck is now 5.5 years old / 85k miles- and I've replaced the wipers once. Seemed like others got me about a year and a half before I couldn't stand them. These have worked well.

Yeah, auto parts stores consider wiper blades to be profit leaders, I'd never buy there unless you're on some long trip and have a failure OTR so an immediate fix is paramount.

On a side note, it's annoying to me that most auto parts stores no longer sell refills, want you to buy the whole new frame when there's nothing wrong with the frame you already have. Anybody remember when wiper refills were around $1?

Adding to landfills for the win!

I dunno, the Motorcraft ones that came on my Ranger were absolute garbage. Could have been that I bought a 2020 at the beginning of 2021 and that it had been sitting, but they were terrible and went to the trash about a month after I bought it. Although the truck was a late 2020, so they still should have had some life in them.

It certainly is nice to have a good set of wiper blades. I like the BEAM style of just about any brand. I've have been buying my blades at OLLIE'S...Good Stuff Cheap!(closeout store similar to BigLots). The have a good selection of BEAM type of wiper blade there for between $5-$6 each. Can't beat that with a stick!

Brands vary but, they often have Michelin, Simonize, Rain-X, Valvoline(didn't know they had blades) and a couple of other brands.

Yeah, auto parts stores consider wiper blades to be profit leaders, I'd never buy there unless you're on some long trip and have a failure OTR so an immediate fix is paramount.

On a side note, it's annoying to me that most auto parts stores no longer sell refills, want you to buy the whole new frame when there's nothing wrong with the frame you already have. Anybody remember when wiper refills were around $1?

I am 100% with you on attempting to reduce waste, but on the bright side at least a wiper frame doesnt take up much space.

Re post #4: Yes, I remember wiper refills. I prefer them.

I believe their demise was an easy 1-2 punch.
1-they wanted to eliminate them for higher profit products.
2- many a consumer didn't want to fuss with them so maybe they didn't sell as much as we think.

I used to love refills on my 2009 Accord. They were easy to replace and I had the beams forever.

And I forgot a photo on my OP, they are a beam style.

iu

I miss refills. Between wiper blades and 5qt oil jug prices, I source both elsewhere.

They were the only blades that worked on my Focus. The others were not stiff enough for their considerable length (28 in.), and vibrated at the ends as they traveled across the glass. The Motorcrafts did none of that.

I also stick with Motorcraft wipers, but don't care for the beam type. I find when it gets cold (<-25°C or so) they get a bit stiff and stop conforming to the windshield. As long as I knock the ice out of the old-school type, they keep working in the cold.

After trying several aftermarket brands I'm back to OE wipers too.
OE Mini flatblade for the Cooper (less than 20 €/pair), OE VW flat-
blade for the GTI (about 25 €/pair), OE Porsche for the 930 (25 €
each, I'm running 964 wiper arms).
Bosch wipers did some damage to the paint of the Mini wiper arms.
Nobody told me, I've only seen people raving about Bosch wipers
on their Minis. Are these people blind?

After trying several aftermarket brands I'm back to OE wipers too.
OE Mini flatblade for the Cooper (less than 20 €/pair), OE VW flat-
blade for the GTI (about 25 €/pair), OE Porsche for the 930 (25 €
each, I'm running 964 wiper arms).
Bosch wipers did some damage to the paint of the Mini wiper arms.
Nobody told me, I've only seen people raving about Bosch wipers
on their Minis. Are these people blind?
It wouldn't surprise me if Bosch was the supplier to BMW/Mini for wiper blades.

When I bought wiper blades at the VW dealership, they were either Bosch or Valeo, just the luck of the draw for me. Then eventually ordered the Bosch Aerotwins from Amazon.

I miss those days when Bosch offered the Micro-Excel refills to refill their blades.

iirc Toyota and Honda sells refills for there blades.

But, I ditched my Toyota blades since they are the "Hybrid" type for Bosch beam blades (not the icons, but a step below in price)

I dunno, the Motorcraft ones that came on my Ranger were absolute garbage. Could have been that I bought a 2020 at the beginning of 2021 and that it had been sitting, but they were terrible and went to the trash about a month after I bought it. Although the truck was a late 2020, so they still should have had some life in them.

Probably from sitting. Our '17 and '19 Sentra are the same car. Same wipers. The 17 got driven a lot and the wipers were used a lot and they worked great. The '19 , not so much. The wipers are awful on that. Just from sitting.

I sell a bunch of the newer PF beam style. The only issue is on some older applications where the wiper arms have a weak spring, it won't hold the blade flat on the windshield. Usually on older Panther cars.

Back