OLM (GM) - Factory Calibration - Dino v Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cchase

They are the same engine but the OLM may or may not be calibrated for the same type of driving. Just highlighting something you would need to consider.

Doubtful, the purpose of the OLM is to compensate for different driving and operating conditions.

Excellent question Art!

I've been thinking the same thing. Have a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.5L Flex-Fuel V-6. Decidedly low performance engine but it gets me from point A to B which, in my case 95% is highway driving from Tucson To Phoenix.

The OLM is calibrated for dino with maximum miles set at 12500. If I drive it on the highway all day long it clicks off a percent every 125 miles like clockwork.

Like Art I am curious to see what identical engines in different cars, aka the Camaro & Cadillac with the 3.6L DI engine have for the max OLM distance. It shouldn't be too difficult for somebody with one of these cars to get that data by getting the engine good and hot and drive on the highway (i.e. ideal conditions) for 200-300 miles while watching the OLM readout.

I'm wondering whether GM will recalibrate OLMs on their newer cars (2006 and up) when they offer the dexos oil to the public. The press releases tout its superior performance and ability to supercede GM4718M as well as meet extended drain intervals.

I think this is why GM may stay with the 5w-30 oils. They want the extended drains. But if they're not willing to state that dino-calibrated OLMs can run, for say, 50% longer, why would any customer pay top dollar for the dexos (or any synthetic for that matter)?

I am about to submit a UOA report using Chevron 5w-30 for a 9K+ drain interval. My next oil will be the new PYB 5w-30 to establish a Pennzoil TBN baseline at 0% OLM before I transition to PU 5w-30 and try an OLM +50% extra run (switching from a P1 filter to a Mobil1 filter).

I am going to run the PU until the TBN is down to the PYB/Chevron levels at 0% OLM.

Good stuff!

Take care,
Gary

I can't speak to the current Camaro/Cadillac engine specifications, but in the past, Cadillac required synthetic for engines that used oil pressure to run the actuators that switched the cam position under hard acceleration for the VVT system. Maybe the Cadillac uses VVT but the Camaro doesn't? The spec was for synthetic because the actuators themselves could get gummed up by the waxy molecules in dino oil, whereas the more consistent synthetic base oil didn't contain these substances and the actuators would be more reliable. In the cars that required the synthetics, the OLM was calibrated differently than on the other cars.

Again, I don't know if this is still the case, but I got this from a pretty reliable source about 5-6 years ago.

The 09-10 3.6L DIs in the Lambda platform (crossovers) have VVT but call for dino.

Took a look at the links above and founf it interesting that the the Camaro and Cadillac use a PF-2129 filter while the Lambda platform vehicles use the PF-48.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
Took a look at the links above and founf it interesting that the the Camaro and Cadillac use a PF-2129 filter while the Lambda platform vehicles use the PF-48.

Either this isn't accurate, or there are two V8 versions of the Camaro engine. My buddy has a 2010 Camaro just like mine except his is the V8...and it takes the PF-48 filter.

Originally Posted By: Jehartley

Either this isn't accurate, or there are two V8 versions of the Camaro engine. My buddy has a 2010 Camaro just like mine except his is the V8...and it takes the PF-48 filter.

There are 2 versions of the Camaro engine, IIRC. One is 426 hp and the other is 400 (or something around there) depending on whether it's the manual or auto tranny. Whether that indicates a mechanical difference, I don't recall off the top of my head. I would suspect it's a tuning issue, but its effect on filters I also do not know.

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
Excellent question Art!

I've been thinking the same thing. Have a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.5L Flex-Fuel V-6. Decidedly low performance engine but it gets me from point A to B which, in my case 95% is highway driving from Tucson To Phoenix.

The OLM is calibrated for dino with maximum miles set at 12500. If I drive it on the highway all day long it clicks off a percent every 125 miles like clockwork.

Like Art I am curious to see what identical engines in different cars, aka the Camaro & Cadillac with the 3.6L DI engine have for the max OLM distance. It shouldn't be too difficult for somebody with one of these cars to get that data by getting the engine good and hot and drive on the highway (i.e. ideal conditions) for 200-300 miles while watching the OLM readout.

I'm wondering whether GM will recalibrate OLMs on their newer cars (2006 and up) when they offer the dexos oil to the public. The press releases tout its superior performance and ability to supercede GM4718M as well as meet extended drain intervals.

I think this is why GM may stay with the 5w-30 oils. They want the extended drains. But if they're not willing to state that dino-calibrated OLMs can run, for say, 50% longer, why would any customer pay top dollar for the dexos (or any synthetic for that matter)?

I am about to submit a UOA report using Chevron 5w-30 for a 9K+ drain interval. My next oil will be the new PYB 5w-30 to establish a Pennzoil TBN baseline at 0% OLM before I transition to PU 5w-30 and try an OLM +50% extra run (switching from a P1 filter to a Mobil1 filter).

I am going to run the PU until the TBN is down to the PYB/Chevron levels at 0% OLM.

Good stuff!

Take care,
Gary

Thanks Gary,

It's something I've been dying to know for a long time. I admire the GM OLM unit. I also happen to think their engineering team really knows what they're doing.

So it sure would be nice to know what "X" is by their expertise:
Dino OCI + X = Synthetic OCI

I have to tell you I'm amazed that your OLM goes all the way out to 12,500 on dino. How many quarts does it hold? That's a nice car by the way.

Sorry - I was talking about the 3.6L V6. The 3.6L V6 in the Camaro & Cadillac use the PF-2129 while the 3.6L V6 in the Traverse, Enclave, Acadia, & Outlook take the PF-48.

I have the same GM High Feature 3.6 litre V6 (non DI) in two cars - the Torrent GXP, and my G8. The engine is rated as having a slightly higher output in the Torrent. Both are VVT on intake and exhaust cams.

The Torrent has a transverse layout with a 5.5 qt sump, and my G8 is longitudinal with a 7 qt sump. Both spec GM 6094M. Both cars see very similar service, about 80-85% of mileage is highway miles between our two houses.

The Torrent is currently projecting a 9500 mile OCI; the G8 is projecting a 9000 mile OCI.

I thought that was interesting given the transverse engine has a smaller sump, and higher output. My wife drives somewhat more gently, so maybe that is the difference the OLM is picking up.

Last edited:
The 09-10 3.6L DIs in the Lambda platform (crossovers) have VVT but call for dino.

That's because when the high feature V6 is mounted transversely, the cartridge filter would be on the back side of the engine and awkward to reach.

The transverse engines get the spin on filter mounted below the front facing cylinder bank.

Yeah, I have Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in my V6. Miles on the oil are currently 5,890, and the OLM is at 53%. Driving is low RPM's, between 55 and 70 (whatever the speed limit is) and roughly 30% city and 70% Hwy.

Your reading is going to be a decent indicator of the max OLM calibration.
What have some of your previous readings been?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Yeah, I have Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in my V6. Miles on the oil are currently 5,890, and the OLM is at 53%. Driving is low RPM's, between 55 and 70 (whatever the speed limit is) and roughly 30% city and 70% Hwy.

This is the first one!

This is the first one!

Oh! But the factory fill was Dino. What was the OLM mileage when you put the Mobil 1 in? Just curious.

Art,

The 3.5L V-6 in the Impala has a whopping 4.0 qt. capacity. The engine is port fuel-injected and only turns 2200 rpm @85mph.

The Chevron Supreme is still amber looking at 9050 miles with 5% OLM. The oil level is still full on the dipstick too. No oil was added for the OCI. Now the 100C viscosity will probably only be 8.5 cst, but who cares as long as the wear numbers and TBN is good.

I think the Cadillac 3.6L DI gets the synthetic due to it's greater weight which could bump the oil temperature up enough to warrant the synthetic.

Take care,
Gary

This is the first one!

Oh! But the factory fill was Dino. What was the OLM mileage when you put the Mobil 1 in? Just curious.

Well, I let my wife put 1,000 miles on it and then I changed it over...I honestly don't remember what the OLM% was at that time. I really don't think I checked, because with all my new vehicles, I just drive to 1,000 miles and then change it over...with the exception of my Sierra; I changed at 500 miles.

That's cool. I love the new Camaro and wish you the best with it.

Thank you, Sir. It's a great car...and the paddle manual shifters are a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back