'17 Buick ATF drain - 138K - Synthetic Dexron VI or Dino Dexron VI ?

Yes I searched and read and read here... maybe I missed it. Long time reader, now member. We bought car @ 73k.... not sure if factory ATF fill on '17 was synthetic. Probably doesn't matter. The real question is if it was "dino" atf and I switch, will it cause leaks at this mileage ? I had a vehicle switched over to Mobil 1 @ 98k and yep...... every seal you can think of started leaking. Was stunned. Not sure if it's the same worry or not with atf, given the inherent traits of synthetics. This trans also has no pan/gasket but I just want to ask the question still.

I really need to drain this ASAP. I know only 4-5 qts. (out of approx. 9 ?) will drain out. Yes, I would rather put synthetic in, obviously.

Thank you.

If the seals started leaking after using synthetic, they likely were on their last legs anyway. If it makes you feel better, go conventional. The main thing is you are changing it.

Thank you for responding and for your help. I'm pretty particular. I really want the protection of a synthetic, in general. I like the info. on seals.... I've held that myth awhile.

Thx.... def. will use Dexron VI. But AC Delco has original equipment 10-9395 Dexron VI ATF and also original equipment 10-9244 Dexron VI FULL SYNTHETIC ATF.

Check the manual but my wife’s 18’ uses Dexron VI. I used this on the ATF change and it’s very reasonably priced.

I drained the ATF cold into a commercial food measuring cup, measured it, cleaned the container, added the same amount of fresh ATF and then dumped it into the trans. It’s not the official way to do it but I didn’t have any problems.

Honestly if it’s a ‘17 the seals aren’t that old…. I wouldn’t worry about using a synthetic ATF.

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Anything that is licensed Dexron VI will be fine, but my choice would be the full synthetic :)

What model is your Buick? :unsure:

I did a quick Googling and saw nothing but Dexron IV (a synthetic) come up.
GM
Were it my car, I'd use the Dex IV

Please get back to us on this thread afterward.
There never was a Dexron IV released to production, although it was considered. GM went from Dex III to Dex VI. As for the seal leaks we saw some issues at Allison with the original formula Dex VI and seal compatibility with our stuff. Not sure how Hydramatic dealt with this, or how the seals and fluid have evolved in the 15 yrs since.

Thank you. Like the food cup idea and matching exact qty. That's the only way I would do it.
Welcome to BITOG 🥳

Anything that is licensed Dexron VI will be fine, but my choice would be the full synthetic :)

What model is your Buick? :unsure:
Enclave. Just wondering if I switch to synthetic Dexron VI and this (the synthetic ATF) wasn't already in the car, will it possibly cause leaks.

If its a 2017 Lacrosse and some Tour-x's with the 8 speed then you want Aisin WS tranny fluid. Other models use the DexVI

Edited to see you posted an Enclave. Must of posted at same time.
Must have. I know to use Dexron VI but have a small concern about going full synthetic without knowing what the factory and/or last owner put in it. Not from a compatibility standpoint but just does anyone ever have leaks associated with switching over from conventional ATF to synthetic ATF at higher miles. 138,000.

I have never had a problem, Buicks came with the DexVI for that model and if it was changed out, most if not all tranny fluid for that vehicle is synthetic. Do not think you will have any issues as I don't think you can get non syn for that vehicle anyway. But who knows want a backyard mechanic(if it was done) put in it.

Thank you. Like the food cup idea and matching exact qty. That's the only way I would do it.

Enclave. Just wondering if I switch to synthetic Dexron VI and this (the synthetic ATF) wasn't already in the car, will it possibly cause leaks.

So it's the 6T70, right?

In that case, it looks easy. And yes, nothing wrong with switching to synthetic. In fact, Maxlife, a brand name specifically designed for high mileage, is synthetic. :)

Thx.... def. will use Dexron VI. But AC Delco has original equipment 10-9395 Dexron VI ATF and also original equipment 10-9244 Dexron VI FULL SYNTHETIC ATF.

fwiw, 9395 is also full synthetic. The part numbers are different suppliers iirc.

IMG_3814.jpegIMG_3813.jpeg

LOL... that settles it. Thank you.

Now that you've helped answer my main question, which is the "best" Dexron VI full synthetic ?
I would say whatever is cheapest and is licensed. Likely something at Walmart.

I think Valvoline is 6 something a quart, which I don't think is bad.

Or, you could be a complete savage and go for Maxlife ATF, and all of the maxlife fanboys on this site will send you 10 dollars each ;)

Thank you for responding and for your help. I'm pretty particular. I really want the protection of a synthetic, in general. I like the info. on seals.... I've held that myth awhile.
What protection will syn give you? Heat? Cold? Longer oil change intervals? The problem will come not from the oil but from cost cutting on the quality of the parts

Back