2017 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 6L80E transmission Dexron VI ATF synthetic Group III mineral oil?

Here is amazon's own stock, at a different page, because the product has an updated part number:

So GM store has not updated its links. Pretty common.

@Snagglefoot

When I do the first trans fluid service in 25-50k miles depending on the condition (severe service), I am probably going to get the B&M deep pan for easier future DFs. Siphon works, I do it, but leaves ~1 quart in the bottom, and gets less crap out of the bottom of the pan.

@Snagglefoot

When I do the first trans fluid service in 25-50k miles depending on the condition (severe service), I am probably going to get the B&M deep pan for easier future DFs. Siphon works, I do it, but leaves ~1 quart in the bottom, and gets less crap out of the bottom of the pan.
You bet, I have a pan drop scheduled for this summer. I’ll change the filter, and clean up the magnet and pan. This I’ve had done every 5 years in the past.

I would personally just buy whatever licensed DexVI you can get cheapest. Or if you have a personal liking to a certain brand then purchase that. I’ve been using the Supertech DexVI/Mercon LV (because it was the cheapest) for the last 5 years and I haven’t had any transmission issues.

Hello all

I was wondering what people on this oil specialty forum think about ATFs which advertise Full Synthetic ATF, but have petroleum/mineral base oils in them, group III?

For example, Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron VI ATF SDS sheet shows it has mineral oil and petroleum distillates in it. see attachment screen shots of the SDS from Valvoline's SDS website: https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/sds

It does say ACDelco, but its on Valvoline's website. (also, side question, does this mean Valvoline's D-VI ATF is relabeled ACDelco?)

And my follow up question is, if I wanted to upgrade to a "real" full synthetic ATF, made for Dexron VI applications, but not necessarily "approved/licensed" Dexron VI, but definitely recommended with no problems, which should I go with? I've used a lot of Redline. I've used some Royal Purple. But Valvoline Dexron VI ATF is so cheap compared with Redline D6, $5 vs $20 a quart.

The reason is for high temp towing applications where a better full synthetic Group V ATF may resist varnish build up better than the Group III ATFs with mineral oils/etc.

Thanks
Looking for a solution to a problem which doesn't exist. I have towed all around the country. Changed the OEM fluid in my SIlverado at 50,000 miles (6 speed). It should be noted 25,000 miles of those were towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer. I'm in "The West" and high mountain passes are many. While a UOA wasn't performed, I can tell you at 50,000 miles the fluid visually looked real good. The Dex 6 is good stuff-regardless of base stocks.

I don't think you understand how amazon works. Amazon's ACDelco Dexron VI fluid web page can have various sellers selling the product. Normally Amazon itself will be selling the product on that same page as one of the sellers. When amazon runs out, other sellers are first on the list to sell. The page doesn't normally change but who has stock to sell does change. That is just the default page for amazon ACDelco Dexron VI fluid. Anyone can sell the same fluid. My beef was with 3rd party sellers, for example because they charge return shipping which can be a lot. If amazon itself was offering its stock ACDelco Dexron VI on that page, I would not be hesitating to buy it at $20 a gallon over Valvoline. Its not that its BS. that's the default web page for the product on amazon. ACDelco store just links to the default web page, which can have tens and hundreds of sellers of the same product. TruTrans may well be a great seller. All I said was that "I am weary" of buying from 3rd party sellers. I do it though. I just prefer Amazon's own stock, since they are reliable and have free returns, etc.
Given those fears then I'd definitely not buy it from the link that was given.

Are you weary or wary?

@CKN thanks good to know. Not looking for a problem that doesn't exist, just trying to learn. One thing a read was that varnishes build up over 220 deg F, and that Group V atf does not build up varnish as much as a group III. I don't know how true that is... just trying to learn.

@kschachn wary thx

@CKN thanks good to know. Not looking for a problem that doesn't exist, just trying to learn. One thing a read was that varnishes build up over 220 deg F, and that Group V atf does not build up varnish as much as a group III. I don't know how true that is... just trying to learn.

@kschachn wary thx

The (OEM) Dex6 has been tested up to 265 degrees with no degradation in the fluid. Stay way from Internet Trans Fluid Temperature charts.

My defense is I was attacked by savage oil-debate haters and research-haters.

My defense is I was attacked by savage oil-debate haters and research-haters.
Dude-use the search engine. This topic has been discussed so many times. Here is the bottom line-regardless of what you read elsewhere the Dex 6 is stout stuff regardless of base stocks-it won't create varnish at 220 degrees. Using any Dex6 fluid and changing it regularly-will result in your transmission lasting a long time. If you keep your vehicle long-you will be fixing other stuff before the transmission. Before you ask this question-any motor oil that meet Dexos specs is good oil-especially if you follow the OLM or change at 5,000 miles.

@CKN thanks. this is exactly why I ask these questions. because you are saying the exact opposite of what I read elsewhere, and the trans fluid chart. very confusing actually.

All these different opinions out there. And it is a waste of time to read various opinions.

I would personally just buy whatever licensed DexVI you can get cheapest. Or if you have a personal liking to a certain brand then purchase that. I’ve been using the Supertech DexVI/Mercon LV (because it was the cheapest) for the last 5 years and I haven’t had any transmission issues.
Here’s one on par price wise with Supertech

Attachments

• 40FEA5D0-6A7D-4B68-9647-D878D188CC69.jpeg
    40FEA5D0-6A7D-4B68-9647-D878D188CC69.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 26
@CKN thanks. this is exactly why I ask these questions. because you are saying the exact opposite of what I read elsewhere, and the trans fluid chart. very confusing actually.

All these different opinions out there. And it is a waste of time to read various opinions.
Can you link up what you read elsewhere? I'd like to see what it is saying.

If this was my rig, I'd put in Allison TES-295 and not worry about it for 250,000 miles or so. But the Grp III blends are pretty good these days, and cost effective for 95% or more of applications. I use the Valvoline in my daily drivers. Not many folks are running duty cycles like NYC Sanitation or Houston Transit.

Hello all

I was wondering what people on this oil specialty forum think about ATFs which advertise Full Synthetic ATF, but have petroleum/mineral base oils in them, group III?

For example, Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron VI ATF SDS sheet shows it has mineral oil and petroleum distillates in it. see attachment screen shots of the SDS from Valvoline's SDS website: https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/sds...
All modern ATF's use a mixture of base oil groups from Group III to V. Much of the DI additive chemistry contains Group V chemistry.

Valvoline has their own blending facilities so their products are not relabeled PetroCanada Dexron VI.

@Snagglefoot

PML makes a nice pan as well. I have their deep pan on my 6L90E

Can you link up what you read elsewhere? I'd like to see what it is saying.
There is a 30 year old (at least) transmission temperature chart they keep redesigning. The 30 year old fluid specs don't change-just the art work. It's put on the net by some Transmission shop so owners will bring their transmission in every 12,000 miles for service.

It basically says if your transmission reaches 200 degrees it will self destruct.

Back