Valvoline Full Synthetic Dexron VI or MaxLife ATF? Which one should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, seals compatibility for the same transmission design over different model years could be (or could be not) an issue. Similar situation with Toyota A750F AT, when it was introduced it had T-IV for one(?) year before they changed seals to make it as durable with WS fluid - this has been a subject to some confusion in Toyota community. Very similar if not exactly the same as with what user nascarnation mentions on Dex VI front. A 'wrong' fluid may work for a long time, but the 'correct' one will work longer.

if on top of that we have not exactly the same units on line, this could be even more fun. Especially in locales where people expect to use their vehicles much longer.

Folks. I returned with information and questions. Searching I found that the Alisson TES-389 and Dexron 6 specifications are similar. Alisson also reports that the TES-389 and Dexron 6 specifications can be used on automatic transmissions of 2006 or later. It also informs that automatic transmissions before 2006 should only use TES-389 because of seals compatibility. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is said to be compatible with Alisson TES-389. And now? I don't know what to think anymore hahaha.

TES is a pretty safe bet. Personally, I don't trust Valvoline with their Maxlife "suitable for" specs, they would tell you its compatible with cat urine to keep mice away if they thought they could sell one more bottle.
In your case where they have a break in the year the fluids can be used go with the safe one,

Originally Posted by Trav
Personally, I don't trust Valvoline with their Maxlife "suitable for" specs, they would tell you its compatible with cat urine to keep mice away if they thought they could sell one more bottle.

lol.gif

So true...

Last edited:
TES is a pretty safe bet. Personally, I don't trust Valvoline with their Maxlife "suitable for" specs, they would tell you its compatible with cat urine to keep mice away if they thought they could sell one more bottle.
In your case where they have a break in the year the fluids can be used go with the safe one,

Historically ATF's are more similar then different. One exception for is Chrysler.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4299685/2

He does not have a GM transmission. In the 4 spd AW I cant see there being any issues running a dex III spec synthetic clone like D4 or Amsoil ATF, Mobil 1, etc but that is not my decision or risk if there is any. Notice when you look this unit up on Amsoil or Redline they do not recommend D6 or ATFL which are dex VI universal clones. In the 5 spd I wouldn't risk it, stay with the T-IV 3309.
I think I have outlined the issue pretty well, this is another transmission manufacturer that used an old GM spec fluid, any back spec may or may not be applicable and in this case it apparently is not as AW has not issued any back spec to dex VI for this unit but they have removed the "Mineral only" verbiage for later versions of this same box but that also does not mean they didn't update the seal material at some point, minimal risk when using a dex III clone synthetic IMHO.

Threads on this subject are up all the time since 2006. The horse has been beaten to death and buried a long time ago, yet still you have people that say use Maxlife, I do it works great in mine which is not the same as yours its not even made by the same manufacturer but it will still work great.
Personally with parts this sensitive and expensive, I don't take blowing the manufactures spec off and going my own way lightly, caution and research are a good idea. If its a GM produced box then sure use the dex VI, they know it works in those units as they also know the composition of every seal, o ring and gasket in the thing.

Thank you Trav. I guess I should rethink using DEX VI in the AW70 in my 1993 Volvo 240s.

Sam

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
He does not have a GM transmission. In the 4 spd AW I cant see there being any issues running a dex III spec synthetic clone like D4 or Amsoil ATF, Mobil 1, etc but that is not my decision or risk if there is any. Notice when you look this unit up on Amsoil or Redline they do not recommend D6 or ATFL which are dex VI universal clones. In the 5 spd I wouldn't risk it, stay with the T-IV 3309.
I think I have outlined the issue pretty well, this is another transmission manufacturer that used an old GM spec fluid, any back spec may or may not be applicable and in this case it apparently is not as AW has not issued any back spec to dex VI for this unit but they have removed the "Mineral only" verbiage for later versions of this same box but that also does not mean they didn't update the seal material at some point, minimal risk when using a dex III clone synthetic IMHO.

Threads on this subject are up all the time since 2006. The horse has been beaten to death and buried a long time ago, yet still you have people that say use Maxlife, I do it works great in mine which is not the same as yours its not even made by the same manufacturer but it will still work great.
Personally with parts this sensitive and expensive, I don't take blowing the manufactures spec off and going my own way lightly, caution and research are a good idea. If its a GM produced box then sure use the dex VI, they know it works in those units as they also know the composition of every seal, o ring and gasket in the thing.

Thank you Trav. I guess I should rethink using DEX VI in the AW70 in my 1993 Volvo 240s.

Sam

I would not rethink it. Afton recommended using DEXRON VI in lieu of AW fluids. Afton knows more than must of us here.

I don't know Afton. I do know Trav.

I'd definitely rethink it. Logic and facts can be your friend.

Originally Posted by Gebo
I don't know Afton. I do know Trav.

I'd definitely rethink it. Logic and facts can be your friend.

Well your not applying logic so you can discard that strawman. Afton knows more about ATF then you and Trav. That is a fact.

You can use what works for you (the Dex VI), or you can use what is compatible with the Dex IIE / III (Maxlife), or if you are not sure, you can ask Valvoline about your exact vehicle and see what they say.

Chances are, they will both work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back