2017 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 6L80E transmission Dexron VI ATF synthetic Group III mineral oil?

here's the link to varnish build up at 220 F idea in the forum thread

here's the generic trans fluid temp chart attached

Attachments

• trans_life_expectancy.jpg
    trans_life_expectancy.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 57
here's the link to varnish build up at 220 F idea in the forum thread

here's the generic trans fluid temp chart attached

That's the "new" "old" one (chart). It was outdated 20 years ago and very outdated today. There has been vast improvements in base stocks since the 80's.........

@CKN good to know.

so to sum up... a tahoe with the older trans the 4-speed 4L60-E with Dexron III fluid may be more in line with that "new" "old" chart than the new trans 6-speed 6L80-E with Dexron VI?

@CKN good to know.

so to sum up... a tahoe with the older trans the 4-speed 4L60-E with Dexron III fluid may be more in line with that "new" "old" chart than the new trans 6-speed 6L80-E with Dexron VI?

There is no way of knowing since the chart is generic for all fluid. Which fluids are they referencing? That chart is utterly useless.

Looking for a solution to a problem which doesn't exist. I have towed all around the country. Changed the OEM fluid in my SIlverado at 50,000 miles (6 speed). It should be noted 25,000 miles of those were towing my 5,000 pound travel trailer. I'm in "The West" and high mountain passes are many. While a UOA wasn't performed, I can tell you at 50,000 miles the fluid visually looked real good. The Dex 6 is good stuff-regardless of base stocks.
Best post in the thread.

Reactions: CKN
To each their own but at $4.10 a quart for the AC-Delco full synthetic Dexron VI atf can’t be beat. I just ordered some the other day and a trans filter from Rock Auto. Gonna drop the pan and change the filter and replace the fluid lost in the pan drop, on my 2019 Silverado 1500 LD. It’s at almost 48,000 miles on the OD now so I’m just gonna stick with doing a pan drop and filter/fluid change every 50k.
I know a lot of guys use all the high dollar, super 100% synthetic stuff that isn’t approved by GM and rave about it but it isn’t worth the risk or the $$$ to me, especially when my truck is still under factory warranty coverage. I feel the same way about the high dollar oil changes and going for 20,000-25,000 miles. People can do what they want but I feel best using a quality full synthetic oil from Wally World, OEM AC-Delco filters and changing at 5k mile intervals.
For me, I’ve always gotten the best results by just doing regular maintenance. All the synthetic stuff on the market these days is heads and shoulders above anything that we had when I was growing up.
Whichever way you go, hope it works out for you.

Yeah I'm drifting towards that conclusion myself. I think Walmart has a quart of Valvoline Dexron VI for $4.50. Sounds good to me.

If you want to order a lot of it to save on shipping, Rock Auto has the Mag1 Quarts of Licensed Dex VI/Mercon LV for 3.68/qt, use the code 162725261148270173 to save 5%.

Back