Synthetic Mercon V ?

As the UPS man was delivering my Dorman transmission pan-with-a-drain-hole, I asked here about synthetic Mercon V.
At that time (3 years ago) there was no synthetic Mercon V. I suspect there still isn't.
The "closest" were several broad coverage synthetics.

I waded through responses to my query and they matched the ones here.

I bought Valvoline brand Mercon V available on Amazon in 6-1 qt. bottle cartons. The bottles are blue.
I also stumbled on a sale.

Walmart brand Mercon V worked just fine in my friends' '97 F-150 and '05 Explorer. Both vehicles still truckin'.
I returned my 11 qt. stash of Walmart Mercon V to the store, bought two of the Valvoline 6-packs and had money left over to buy lunch.

End this tumult and buy a real Mercon V and get on with life. This does answer you question, I believe.
You have a simple, inarguable route to happiness. No need to complicate this one.
If ever your trannie blows, there will be an entire line of questioning you can skip.

You can play the broad coverage fluid game with your other vehicles.

It could happen when Ford obsoletes V.
On the ford trucks forum is a long-time member who was a senior transmission engineer for Ford.

This transmission engineer was adamant that V and LV were not interchangeable, and one should never substitute one with the other.

On the ford trucks forum is a long-time member who was a senior transmission engineer for Ford.

This transmission engineer was adamant that V and LV were not interchangeable, and one should never substitute one with the other.
As long as Mercon V is not obsolete, they will say that. Why did Ford make the original Mercon compatible to Mercon V when it was obsolete?

I have looked it up in the past. There is no one that makes a synthetic Mercon V. Depending on the transmission, it may be ok to use a multi vehicle synthetic ATF. I am not going to recommend to use Mercon LV or newer.

I have looked it up in the past. There is no one that makes a synthetic Mercon V. Depending on the transmission, it may be ok to use a multi vehicle synthetic ATF. I am not going to recommend to use Mercon LV or newer.
This is the synthetic ATF I use in my 2002 F350 requiring Mercon V, it claims to have Ford's MERCON V approval. I purchase this ATF in the "big jug" from RockAuto.

Top Tec ATF 1200​

Approvals
Allison C4, Dexron III H, Ford Mercon V, Honda ATF Z1 (except CVT), Hyundai SP-II, Hyundai SP-III, JASO 1-A, Kia SP-II, Kia SP-III, Mazda ATF M-III, Mazda ATF M-V, Mitsubishi SP-II, Mitsubishi SP-III, Nissan AT-Matic D Fluid, Nissan AT-Matic J Fluid, Nissan AT-Matic K Fluid, Toyota Type T-II, Toyota Type T-IV

Posted a question a while back for Tranny Fluid Changes. Going to do fluid changes yearly. Was swayed by posts there to go with vehicle specific fluids and synthesics. The 3 gms i have all take dexron 3, so Dex 4 is now the recommended fluid for those applications and there's plenty of approved synthetics for those vehicles. I'll be staying away from Maxlife and the Mobil 1 universal stuff.

But for my 96 f250 with an e40d, it originally took Mercon which now Mercon V is recommended. I found Valvoline makes a merc v "for use in mercon v applications" and it's a synthetic.....but it's not Ford approved. Can only find conventional approved merc v fluid on google. Anyone know of a synthetic merc v approved by ford? Should I just use the Valvoline "for merc v applications" and hope for the best?

Work will be done at a mechanic shop and they said they normally use Wolf's Head but they'd be fine with me bringing my own fluid as long as it's what's called for.

Thank you

P.S.
I have another tranny specialty shop that I've gone to in the past but they only want to use their brand called BG. And i don't think BG makes licesed Merc V.

Hello. I had a ‘99 F350 with a 4R100 that was due to ATF service when there was still a lot of arguing going on about backwards compatibility of Mercon V with transmissions that originally came through with Mercon fluid. I ended using Royal Purple Max ATF and was very pleased with the shift quality. I have since sold the truck, but I still see it locally, usually pulling a trailer. Based on my own experience the RP fluid would be my choice for the 4R100 predecessor.

Hello. I had a ‘99 F350 with a 4R100 that was due to ATF service when there was still a lot of arguing going on about backwards compatibility of Mercon V with transmissions that originally came through with Mercon fluid. I ended using Royal Purple Max ATF and was very pleased with the shift quality. I have since sold the truck, but I still see it locally, usually pulling a trailer. Based on my own experience the RP fluid would be my choice for the 4R100 predecessor.
Yeah the RP Max ATF was nice in my Crown Vic. Expensive though!

This is the synthetic ATF I use in my 2002 F350 requiring Mercon V, it claims to have Ford's MERCON V approval. I purchase this ATF in the "big jug" from RockAuto.

Top Tec ATF 1200​

Approvals
Allison C4, Dexron III H, Ford Mercon V, Honda ATF Z1 (except CVT), Hyundai SP-II, Hyundai SP-III, JASO 1-A, Kia SP-II, Kia SP-III, Mazda ATF M-III, Mazda ATF M-V, Mitsubishi SP-II, Mitsubishi SP-III, Nissan AT-Matic D Fluid, Nissan AT-Matic J Fluid, Nissan AT-Matic K Fluid, Toyota Type T-II, Toyota Type T-IV

I’m not sure how much I would believe that list. For one thing those are not approvals but rather licenses, and on many of them they are Asian and the Asian manufacturers do not license. Plus for ones like Dexron-III those are no longer licensed as it has been superseded.

It looks like a multi-use fluid such as Maxlife.

I’m not sure how much I would believe that list. For one thing those are not approvals but rather licenses, and on many of them they are Asian and the Asian manufacturers do not license. Plus for ones like Dexron-III those are no longer licensed as it has been superseded.

It looks like a multi-use fluid such as Maxlife.
Unlike maxlife, luqui moly separates into two classes. One is approved class, the other is recommended class. Luqui moly list mercon v as approved. If the list was bull, I suspect luqui moly would of not had two distinct classes, one approved, one recommended. Luqui moly is a European firm, the standards for label requirements are often at a much stricter requirement than USA.

Unlike maxlife, luqui moly separates into two classes. One is approved class, the other is recommended class. Luqui moly list mercon v as approved. If the list was bull, I suspect luqui moly would of not had two distinct classes, one approved, one recommended. Luqui moly is a European firm, the standards for label requirements are often at a much stricter requirement than USA.
The list is bull. You cannot license Asian specifications like that, and you certainly can no longer obtain a Dexron-III license.

And the classes you mention are meaningless here. Like I mentioned, those are not approvals. Liqui Moly has obfuscated things on other PDS as well.

RP Maxlife was a normal/high visc ATF. The latest reformulation made it an LV ATF.

My recommendation is Amsoil, Torco, or Redline. Another option are the other full visc full synthetic ATFs, usually with the multivehicle or universal 'marketing'. AFAIK, Mobil1 ATF is still available.

The e40d didn't have a fluid problem. It was born with a Ford problem, and add in the typical consumer owner caused problems.

I've got great results with Maxlife on my Mazda. Their recommended MV fluid is very similar to Mercon V. Biggest improvement was the slight "shock" happening between some shifts at 14 degrees.

Back