Synthetic Mercon V ?

I think it's just the Mercon V spec'd transmissions that get bad torque converter shudder when a multi fluid is used. With my 4R70w and previous AX4S, I'd always make sure to run a specific Mercon-V fluid. Your E4OD might be able to use a compatible multi since it spec'd Mercon from the factory

I would be in agreement with this.. as someone with an AX4N (it's either AX4N or AX4S it is stamped prominently on the pan. I believe AX4N) and having had a 95 Taurus and a 99 Sable at one point as well.. they seem very sensitive to "multi fluids." I have primarily bought Supertech Mercon V for ease of attainability and price point. I've also considered getting some actual Motorcraft Mercon V to remove all doubt. This specifically about the Ford. (From Amazon.. the dealer may have crazy price. But going to a dealer is always a last resort when online is available.)

Generally, I'd say a fluid that most closely matches the OE spec would be okay.. though your exact, specific answer would be make, model, year, and, most importantly, transmission dependant.

I did top off the level with the new Maxlife, I believe it said full synthetic? But let me introduce that I was always told that transmission fluid was synthetic anyway. Truth to that?

My exact AX4N (see sig) I've done 3 quarts drain and fill every month since the beginning of this year and it's probably as near close to perfect as an AX4N can get. A hint of reverse slam is a standard feature, sometimes it even shifts so perfect it doesn't even do that like 5% of the time (I credit the fluid changes) and if I had to drain and fill again.. I'd probably be using Supertech Mercon V (it goes fast on the shelf at Walmart) or Motorcraft Mercon V, not LV. This transmission seems to be sensitive to it. Over time, you learn your transmission.

Other Ford transes may be different or more tolerating, as mentioned.

Again, to introduce if all ATF is synthetic, same way most 5W-20 motor oil is said to at least have a heavy synthetic percentage, which is why you see no "conventional" 0W-20. Is it just slick labeling.

You don’t have to get the Motorcraft branded fluid to get a licensed fluid however.

Having said that, put me on the list of happy Maxlife customers, I use the product in every application that is listed on the container including a Ford.
Show some proof other than Motorcraft where it is stated "licenced by Ford". All I have seen is phrased "recommended" for Ford. That doesn't mean actual licensed by Ford.
I am one who doesn't believe in a one fluid fits all like Maxlife. If it were that good, it would be a factory fill.

Show some proof other than Motorcraft where it is stated "licenced by Ford". All I have seen is phrased "recommended" for Ford. That doesn't mean actual licensed by Ford.
I am one who doesn't believe in a one fluid fits all like Maxlife. If it were that good, it would be a factory fill.
MERCON V is the license, Motorcraft is a brand. There are multiple licensed MERCON V fluids and there is a license number on the container. The Motorcraft branded fluid is just one of several and is not better nor worse than any other licensed brand.

Maxlife isn't licensed so I understand hesitation. But my experience is that it works fine in every recommended application I've ever used it in for multiple 100,000s of miles.

MERCON V is the license, Motorcraft is a brand. There are multiple licensed MERCON V fluids and there is a license number on the container. The Motorcraft branded fluid is just one of several and is not better nor worse than any other licensed brand.

Maxlife isn't licensed so I understand hesitation. But my experience is that it works fine in every recommended application I've ever used it in for multiple 100,000s of miles.
I have personally seen Maxlife give issues on certain transmissions, even transmissions calling for Toyota WS. It is a good ATF and works great on many transmissions but it is not a one size fits all. When a licensed/OEM or OEM Spec fluid is available you should always go with that over "Multi Vehicle" ATF.

This is another reason why I decided against Maxlife on my Toyota and my Chevy because both of mine call for Dexron III which the now backwards compatible fluid is Dexron VI but even Maxlife is not Dexron certified and I went with the officially licensed O'reilly's Dexron VI instead.

And when it comes to Ford, Mercon LV is not compatible with Mercon V transmissions but Maxlife claims to be so something doesn't add up. Spend the few dollars more for the correct fluid instead of risking thousands on a rebuild due to the incorrect fluid.

I have personally seen Maxlife give issues on certain transmissions, even transmissions calling for Toyota WS. It is a good ATF and works great on many transmissions but it is not a one size fits all. When a licensed/OEM or OEM Spec fluid is available you should always go with that over "Multi Vehicle" ATF.

This is another reason why I decided against Maxlife on my Toyota and my Chevy because both of mine call for Dexron III which the now backwards compatible fluid is Dexron VI but even Maxlife is not Dexron certified and I went with the officially licensed O'reilly's Dexron VI instead.

And when it comes to Ford, Mercon LV is not compatible with Mercon V transmissions but Maxlife claims to be so something doesn't add up. Spend the few dollars more for the correct fluid instead of risking thousands on a rebuild due to the incorrect fluid.
No problem, I just haven't seen any of that. I've not seen any issues at all between my Tiguan, my Sienna, my old BMW, the Accord and a Camry and Ford Fusion I take care of for my daughter. But of course all experience is local.

No problem, I just haven't seen any of that. I've not seen any issues at all between my Tiguan, my Sienna, my old BMW, the Accord and a Camry and Ford Fusion I take care of for my daughter. But of course all experience is local.
Yes of course, experiences may be different. I own a Sienna with a A541E transmission and while many say Maxlife works great in it there has been people who said they have had weird shifting issues after but it went away after going back to Dexron III or VI.

I will say this I would rather see a multi-vehicle ATF used instead of the completely incorrect fluid, just an example some people dumping Dexron III in Dodge transmissions that call for ATF +4, it is a recipe for disaster.

Was told to stay away from multi vehicle fluids.
You will have a hard time finding syn Mercon V then, that is why I am swapping my Expedition over to it. Mobil 1 is probably going to be the closest you can find. If it originally came w Mercon, run the Valvoline Dex/Mer as it is plain Mercon and meets the vehicles OEM spec. Just siphon the drain pan every other oil change and it will stay fresh and serviceable. I personally would put Maxlife in it over a Mercon V. Maxlife run very well in my truck that specs DexIII, fixed a hard 1st-2nd shift.

Mercon V is the fluid type not the license. Multiple brands having a license number on the container? Let's hear them.

In the past with older Fords I’ve had fine experiences with Valvoline Mercon V and Royal Purple Max ATF and even O’Reilly brand Mercon V.

I would not use Maxlife now that it’s been reformulated for CVT compatibility. Is it probably OK? Yeah, but best to sleep easy with a Mercon V fluid that’s actually designed for your Ford.

Mercon V is the fluid type not the license. Multiple brands having a license number on the container? Let's hear them.
Several easy to find. Kendall has one as well as Castrol. There are others. Why don’t you check it out yourself rather than just arguing?

And MERCON is a license all day long. It’s why licensed fluids list the license number.

If you can find it. I haven't seen Supertech Mercon V at the Walmarts in six months... only $10 a quart Valvoline stuff.

On the trip to my parents I pass up to five of them. I cleared them all out multiple times!

I should have enough for another 2 drain and fills on the grand marquis. Napa had a sale on the more expensive Valvoline fluid a few months ago. Got lucky and grabbed some of that too.

Several easy to find. Kendall has one as well as Castrol. There are others. Why don’t you check it out yourself rather than just arguing?

And MERCON is a license all day long. It’s why licensed fluids list the license number.
Because I think your explanations are wrong, you have nothing to back them up and you keep coming back for more. If you do not like debating, don't respond in the first place.

I had excellent results with Mobil 1 ATF in my 4F50N, but it only had 60k on it before it was totalled
I actually preferred the shift quality on the M1 vs Motorcraft Mercon V
Make of that what you will 🤔

There are two types of Mercon V available from Ford,
  • MERCON® V
  • SYNTHETIC BLEND MERCON® V
The former being readily available in many formats, the latter black 1qt bottle being rather hard to find and expensive

1680335248413.jpg

1680335169610.jpg

Because I think your explanations are wrong, you have nothing to back them up and you keep coming back for more. If you do not like debating, don't respond in the first place.
What on earth? Go to Kendall’s website. Look up their MERCON V product. Read the license numbers on the PDS.

I had excellent results with Mobil 1 ATF in my 4F50N, but it only had 60k on it before it was totalled
I actually preferred the shift quality on the M1 vs Motorcraft Mercon V
Make of that what you will 🤔

There are two types of Mercon V available from Ford,
  • MERCON® V
  • SYNTHETIC BLEND MERCON® V
The former being readily available in many formats, the latter black 1qt bottle being rather hard to find and expensive

View attachment 147872

View attachment 147871
Thank you for being the only one to come close to answering my question.

Back