Olive Oil Questions

I have read this from oil marketers and even then was a bit shocked. But have you seen actual true studies? I have not.

Around here there are or were olive oil shops that had a wide variety of flavored oils that got people in the door but I just wanted the purest oils from Italy Spain Greece and California. Those taste so good it's pretty amazing.

From what I've read, the main problem with many oils is that they are spoiled or rancid by the time they get to you, and others are of an origin that is different from what the label says, i.e. "counterfeit" product. For the money, several comparisons have pointed to Costco Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil as the one to buy. We've been pleased with it.

+1 Costco carries a few different priced oils. Similar to their gasoline the stock rotates fast so it is fresh.

I have read this from oil marketers and even then was a bit shocked. But have you seen actual true studies? I have not.

Around here there are or were olive oil shops that had a wide variety of flavored oils that got people in the door but I just wanted the purest oils from Italy Spain Greece and California. Those taste so good it's pretty amazing.

Me too. Not interested in other flavors.

Thanks for the link!
I get from that, you should buy the smallest bottle and renew often.
from what I have read, olive oil will last 12-18 months. So no, it would never go rancid around my house. I buy it by the gallon from Costco, lasts about 6 months max.

Many authorities say that most olive oil on USA shelves is diluted and blends at best. ( negative)
Anybody know for sure which brand is the real deal?
How about our California makers?
Thanks all.
The real, undilluted oil is " Extra Virgin Olive Oil." Brand doesn't matter as long as that is on the label.

All I use is California Olive Ranch oil. I read a huge comparison a few months ago and it was rated well. I like the taste and unless something changes Im sticking with it. There are so many blended fake Olive Oils out there it's crazy.

The real, undilluted oil is " Extra Virgin Olive Oil." Brand doesn't matter as long as that is on the label.
that's not true. Apparently there is a lot of "grifting" in the olive oil world. Some of it is blends but they don't tell you. Unless there is some way of testing or certification, it's not necessarily even oilive oil much less "extra virgin".

I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olives or olive oil but on the rare occasions I use olive oil it's California Olive Ranch. Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is supposedly high quality and inexpensive. Always check the pressed/harvested date code on the container to make sure you don't get old oil.

+1 to the Kirkland.

Secondary note, about a year ago I tried avacado oil. We love it. I don't use teflon so it's high quality stainless steel for most of our cooking. Even great for omelets. We cook a lot and different oils have their applications like peanut, vegetable, and sesame, but extra virgin olive and avacado are the most used by far.

Back